Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Default How to spend $3500 in a big hurry

I have been a dogman all my life I(and my mentors before me) have crated/confined our dogs in one for or another when they were not exercising, hunting or accompanying us. This was in our mind to keep them "safe". Always aware of their comfort, they always had bedding in their crates and sleeping boxes, usually old sheets. blankets or towels, and never has there been a problem............. .until last Monday when my 5 yr old Springer who has never chewed anything in her life decided to eat 1/4 of an old beach towel that was here bedding, I will never know why. 3 days, 1 major surgery(stomach opened and intestines cut in 7 places) and a $3500 bill latter, tip is home, with a cone on her head receiving medication every 12 hrs recovering.

I post this as a STRONG CAUTION. Learn from my mistake, do not leave fibrous bedding in your dogs crate or sleeping box. Don't go on the assumption that "my dog never chews". This mistake can cost you a LOT of money............... ............or worse.

I can't believe I ate the WHOLE THING
Old 10-17-2015, 02:42 PM

The picture made me laugh! She is so cute! Ohhh poor puppy! Maybe you had some sun lotion on this towel that attracted her? Hope she is doing well after this culinary experiment....
Old 10-17-2015, 03:58 PM

hete I thought this was a bought wife shopping at costco...
I know our dog is a chewer

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
The picture made me laugh! She is so cute! Ohhh poor puppy! Maybe you had some sun lotion on this towel that attracted her? Hope she is doing well after this culinary experiment....
Nope dog bed only, probably will never know what set her to chew it but now they all have no bedding in their crates.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Thanks for the warning. I've always left old jackets or towels around for the dogs to sleep on...in and out of their crates. Thankfully, they've never gotten the munchies. Glad your pup is on the mend.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:23 PM

I knew some folks who had a dog with a taste for London Fog jackets. I think he ate 3 of them. Between the cost of the jackets and the cost of the surgery to unplug the dog... well I don't really want to think about it...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Puppies Luv kisses and to chew too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
Nope dog bed only, probably will never know what set her to chew it but now they all have no bedding in their crates.
That's what they call " a dog's life" !! LOL!!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:55 PM

Our neighbour's dog, Springer Spaniel, had three of those surgeries. She said it would eat socks, dish rags, underwear, whatever tickled the dogs fancy. Numerous times she would have to yank something out of its mouth. Will have to ask her about kennel bedding. The other dog, a litter mate in the same household, never had such issues.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Yup. Nerf bullets are a pets worst nightmare. The foam is very tasty to cats and many dogs. The suction cup end gets stuck in the stomach plugging the exit to the intestines.

Result. $2000 surgery.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Default It sounds like a false pregnancy.

She may have been building a nest for the pups that she thought she was having and swallowing some of the stuff was by accident.

Our older female has done it twice. I feel so sorry for her, she chewed up a pillow and put it all in a corner of the bed room for her puppies that never came. She milked up too.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:25 PM

Buddy had a chocolate lab that laid in the gravel driveway and proceeded to eat rocks until he couldn't even stand up cause of the weight in his stomach. To the vet and surgery to remove. Not once but twice.

Never did it again.m you never know what is n a dogs mind.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM

My brother's co-worker lost a dog exactly this way.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 PM

My boy tears apart dog beds (and pillows) to eat the stuffing. It has never caused issues (although it does produce a lot of odd-looking turds); but he now sleeps with a blanket which he has never chewed on, to prevent ingestion of too much indigestible stuff.

Glad to hear that Tip is recovering from her adventure.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-17-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
now they all have no bedding in their crates.
Are your crates inside?

If not, I'd recommend straw/hay. I know some people seem to think its no good, but I've read some vets opinions, and it seems like the way to go.

Last edited by Trochu; 10-17-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Are your crates inside?

If not, I'd recommend straw/hay. I know some people seem to think its no good, but I've read some vets opinions, and it seems like the way to go.
We live in an area with an average winter temp. of +10 and the crates are in a glassed in room under the sundeck. They now have insulated pads UNDER the crates but no bedding. I have raised dogs in cold climates and of course the warmth needs are different. We used insulated sleeping boxes with 110V light bulb heaters and straw when I was in the interior.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Sorry to hear about what you went through.

My 7year old black lab decided last week to eat about a 3 foot section of blood soaked game bag. Most came back out the mouth on newly cleaned white carpets in the living room and rest out the other end in the dog run. Happy it never blocked her up, sad it never made her smarter. She has never chewed since being a pup but I am not surprised really as it was likely quite tasty.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
We live in an area with an average winter temp. of +10
Ahh, I tend to forget that not everyone lives in a frozen wasteland come December-February.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Ahh, I tend to forget that not everyone lives in a frozen wasteland come December-February.
Bindaredundat, Loved it for all the years I was there but now every move HAS to be further south lol
Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM

My yellow lab had the same operation last year.
Had a kids sock & mitten inside.
My dog is fine now, maybe not as dumb.
All the best to your dog.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 PM

I usually make sure my pup gets a raw hide chew stick, else the base board gets it.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I have been a dogman all my life I(and my mentors before me) have crated/confined our dogs in one for or another when they were not exercising, hunting or accompanying us. This was in our mind to keep them "safe". Always aware of their comfort, they always had bedding in their crates and sleeping boxes, usually old sheets. blankets or towels, and never has there been a problem............. .until last Monday when my 5 yr old Springer who has never chewed anything in her life decided to eat 1/4 of an old beach towel that was here bedding, I will never know why. 3 days, 1 major surgery(stomach opened and intestines cut in 7 places) and a $3500 bill latter, tip is home, with a cone on her head receiving medication every 12 hrs recovering.

I post this as a STRONG CAUTION. Learn from my mistake, do not leave fibrous bedding in your dogs crate or sleeping box. Don't go on the assumption that "my dog never chews". This mistake can cost you a LOT of money............... ............or worse.

I can't believe I ate the WHOLE THING
Poor Pup. Glad to hear she is on the mend! Your picture just gave me a couple of crocodile tears as I just put my Springer down 3 months ago. Same colouring and looks as yours.

Dodger.

Last edited by dodger; 10-19-2015 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 AM

I agree. Same goes for toys.

4 year old Doberman. 1/2 of chuck-it ball. $3500 after tests and exploration surgery.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Had a dog find that bone meal taste good and container was accessible.

Was about a 1K but ended up not needing surgery, was close though.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM

Pet insurance is worth every penny
Old 10-19-2015, 01:23 PM

I have a 2 year old Weimaraner at home that is taken to the vet around every 4 months and I'm stuck with a $1200 bill for each visit. He eats EVERYTHING. We have dog proofed the house because of it, hes kenneled when we are away and if there is something around that he may eat its removed.

In his short 2 year lifespan hes eaten:

- $600 or so in Ikea furniture (it was at this point we began kenneling him when we aren't around).
- 1 Drinking glass (all we could find of it was the 1/2 glass base, the rest was gone).
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Small Portion of an aluminum Coke can (Its at this time we start dog proofing the house)
- 2 Gillette Razor Blades (He got a bathroom door open and fished them out of the trash - showed up on X-Ray as small pieces of chewed metal)
- A 12Ga Shotgun Shell (was found in his crap when I went to pick it up - that must have hurt)
- Multiple pieces of his bed cover and the stuffing from inside of them
- A Lithium battery (which he threw up)
- An egg shaped Lip Balm container (which he threw up)
- the squeakers out of non destructible dog toys (they last around 20 minutes before completely destroyed)
- 2 shoes (Only a small portion of them were actually swallowed)
- Multiple small rocks (For some reason, there is always a rock or two on X-Ray whenever he goes in for an emergency vet visit).

Thank god for Vet insurance.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:46 PM

I was cleaning a set of rims once with a steel wool SOS pad and I set it down and when I turned to grab it I was just in time to watch my dog finish swallowing it.

No vet and he was fine but I have to imagine it didn't feel to great coming out!