Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Default In reach pocket sending emergency call, anyone who has one please read.

Our Search and Rescue Group has had 3 false calls in the last week. The guys Inreach is in their pack and its pocket dialing, sending the 911 message. We've had helicopters enroute all three times before they check their pack. We will be contacting inreach to let them know. All three times the Inreach control Centre says it shouldn't occur as you need to lift a flap and hold the button for several seconds. I suggest carrying your unit in a plastic container or put tape over that switch cover.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 PM

That is odd as you have to slide a switch over before you can press the button. At least they work. There have been many instances lately off people signaling for help with a SPOT and the call never went through.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Exclamation something smells

Three occurrences in the same general area, in a week? Sounds more like operator error and cover up than equipment failure or "pocket dialing".
Charge them a false alarm fee for rallying the troops and tell them to take it up with InReach.
At least the calls got through, so you know their system works.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Three occurrences in the same general area, in a week? Sounds more like operator error and cover up than equipment failure or "pocket dialing".
Charge them a false alarm fee for rallying the troops and tell them to take it up with InReach.
At least the calls got through, so you know their system works.
I wouldn't call it the "general area". If you're familiar with the area there's a lot of country between 40 mile and Job lake, also a pile of sheep hunters out. We have had the same issue with spot but only once. Last year we had 2 from Inreach, but three in the first week of sheep season!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 AM

Are these the inreach minis are the regular I have an inreach mini that I'll be using next week for the first time

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 AM

We have had multiple InReach false activations, probably average 1 or 2 per month. It may be older units that are the problem, as I don't see any way that my own InReach could be triggered by accident. 80% of our 911 calls are pocket dials as well.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
We have had multiple InReach false activations, probably average 1 or 2 per month. It may be older units that are the problem, as I don't see any way that my own InReach could be triggered by accident. 80% of our 911 calls are pocket dials as well.
Thanks I will make sure it does not happen to mine thanks for all the rescues you guys do hopefully I never have to see you

Old 09-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Are the units “Off” or “On” when being accidentally activated?

I keep mine handy but it’s kept off. I’m not sure how they would be accidentally activated either way, but I guess it’s possible.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:27 PM

Not sure which units as we have gotten a message Enroute that its a false alarm. I have chatted with two people today who have had it happen on the Garmin units with the switch on the side. One guy now carries his in an otter box and only takes it out to send messages.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM

This actually happened to me a few weeks back!!

Stupid me had the Inreach in my pants pocket instead of my backpack. It was turned off when I put it in there, yet somehow it turned on, flipped the safety off, and pressed the SOS button. Luckily I looked at it 10 minutes later when I went inside my tent and was able to cancel it before they sent anyone out.

On the bright side, the response time the first responders had was incredible. Within 3 minutes they had responded, and within 6 minutes they had phoned my emergency contact asking if they knew what was going on. So at least I know it works!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:33 PM

This happened to a guy in our hunting group 2 years ago on a backcountry skiing trip. The InReach was in his pack and he had no idea it had gone off until he had a helicopter over his head mid afternoon... he was also told that it could not have happened without lifting the flap and holding the button...

Cheers
Old 09-30-2019, 12:00 AM

Happened to me this year, my unit was powered down, in my pack. The switch hasn’t been moved to the armed position ever. Loading into the truck the pack went into the back of the truck and I got a phone call shortly after from Texas saying they got my SOS but figured that because I was still in a inhabited area it was a false alarm. My switch was still in the disarmed position but not fully clicked into place.

Never went further than that thank goodness, I’m going to start toggling the switch and taping it in place. Didn’t realize it was that common of an issue.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 AM

Wow. All these false alarms are unacceptable. Soon they may not send someone unless you confirm the emergency. I wonder if it's possible to press the SOS through the cover by, say sitting on it? The cover is rubber... I used my mini extensively this season and think it's awesome.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Known issue with the older Delorme SE & SE+. Flaw in the design. If you have an older SE or SE+ keep them in a Pelican case!

New units have a redesign so it doesn't happen. That's why I sold my old unit and bought InReach Mini!

https://andrewskurka.com/garmin-resp...h-se-explorer/

https://youtu.be/wm63TlhMPME

-Confucius
Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM

People might want to consider buying a PLB instead. That's what I carry. I've never heard of a false alarm with them, nor any problem with location.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta270 View Post
People might want to consider buying a PLB instead. That's what I carry. I've never heard of a false alarm with them, nor any problem with location.
That's fine, but these new units you can text back and forth to your Rescuers your home which is going to be the new thing. I tried the mini last week worked excellent.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Known issue with the older Delorme SE & SE+. Flaw in the design. If you have an older SE or SE+ keep them in a Pelican case!

New units have a redesign so it doesn't happen. That's why I sold my old unit and bought InReach Mini!

https://andrewskurka.com/garmin-resp...h-se-explorer/

https://youtu.be/wm63TlhMPME
Two of the calls were the new models with the rubber flip switch on the side.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM

I always keep My garmin inreach on and clipped to the outside of my pack I use it for the Bluetooth gps function and Topo maps it also lets me send and receive messages when out of cell service keeping people at home happy when they can track my locations and progress. I think of it like bear spray it’s useless buried in my pack where it can’t get a signal or turned on. I can’t see how the new units could be triggered with out lifting the cap unless someone is hitting the sos button from there Bluetooth linked phone.

I really like my inreach it’s one step down from a sat phone and a major upgrade from a spot beacon or similar one way devices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 731357E6-47AB-45F4-A0F1-213297FAF8ED.jpg (7.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 PM

it's a bit more cost and weight but I really like my Iridium phone. $340/6 months and I take it for 2 weeks in the back country and 2 weeks to our fly in fishing camp. Has been really handy when there have been issues at home. You can also check voicemails from your home or cell phone and text back and forth when reception sucks.
I programmed in RCMP numbers for several detachments and found them to be extremely helpful if a situation arises.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Sorry I don't quite understand... You stated "Not sure which units "

I find it really hard to believe it's one of the newer units (but would also say it's not impossible). That cap is pretty snug. Nonetheless I still keep mine in a small pelican case as it's only used for emergency communications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Two of the calls were the new models with the rubber flip switch on the side.

-Confucius