Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Tough start. I’m a Flames fan tonight. Gotta keep those Nucks outta our way.
Tough start indeed, bad goal, dumb penalty leading to an own goal, usually not a good thing when the goalie is getting the hook 10 minutes in.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Tough start indeed, bad goal, dumb penalty leading to an own goal, usually not a good thing when the goalie is getting the hook 10 minutes in.
Talbots looks sharp early.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Demko starting instead of Markstrom so that's a start. Hope they play as well as they did against Oilers. Fast and soon as game starts.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Nope. They pulled a page from the Oilers play book by the looks of it.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Talbots looks sharp early.
Boy, that is something you don't hear everyday
Old 12-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tough start. I’m a Flames fan tonight. Gotta keep those Nucks outta our way.
This is disappointing.... Big Save dave pulled after 3...
Old 12-29-2019, 08:41 PM

Maybe the pressure of Kipper watching from stands made Rittich edgy....cuz he sure looked soft, especially on that 2nd muffin he let in. Hard to watch.

A four on one, perfect setup to chuckie on give and go, and he misses the net? Not a good night....

Followed by a brutally soft tripping call on Chuckie now. Wow.....penalty killed with no goal for Canucks, so call another soft one on Anderson now? What??

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-29-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 PM

An odd, but yet another dumb penalty (delay of game by shooting the puck over the glass, behind Demko).

The ol' skate by the net when on a breakaway/two-on-one is getting old...
Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Nice basic move by Anderson and it's 3-1. Always love the goals, assuming we score them, put in near the end of the period.

Maybe gotten another right near the end there with Monny, but did he wind up for a shot and someone grabbed his stick?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Flames got any of that 3rd period magic dust left in the ol’ puck bag. Guess we’re gonna find out. Just so long as there is no loser points awarded. Win it in regulation.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 PM

Regardless of who wins, it would be nice to see this game go to OT.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Regardless of who wins, it would be nice to see this game go to OT.
Of course it would. DERP!!!!
Old 12-29-2019, 10:11 PM

In the words of my son when he was three “ Not Good “....
Old 12-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Canucks must of been playing the Flames AHL team. No NHL players dressed for the flames club. It’s sad to see how the club had floundered over the past decade!

BW
Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Canucks must of been playing the Flames AHL team. No NHL players dressed for the flames club. It’s sad to see how the club had floundered over the past decade!

BW
This sounds like.....

YYC, yeah you know me...I'm down with YYC, yeah you know me.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:57 PM

I didn't like how it seemed like Rittich just stared down Brodie after the first goal because he couldn't see it and then lets in a muffin. Don't like it when goalies try make it look like it's others fault even when it is.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This is disappointing.... Big Save dave pulled after 3...
So I have been concerned on how much we are playing Rittich. I don't think he is a 70 game guy like say Flurey. I think we need to get Talbot in the rotation way more second half. I didn't see last night but sounds like he was not so Sharpe

Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM
Banned

Yup, it's those kind of games that cause coaches to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.

First game after Christmas break and the team shows up, starts on time and plays a complete game.

Two nights later, you're playing a division rival on the second game of their back to back and you soil the sheets with your effort. It's gotta drive a coach crazy.

Playing with consistency is a sign of an experienced team. This team is still up and down like a toilet seat in a co-ed dorm. Play a few good games and then lay an egg or two. They look like a young fragile team who's easily rattled when something goes wrong. The roster's too old for that. There hasn't been a lot of games this year where the goaltending has let them down but a bad goal or two seems to permeate a bad vibe through the whole team.

I guess we'll see where this goes next game. The division's too tight this year to get away with any inconsistency for a prolonged period of time.

It's one thing to play like an AHL team from time to time, but it's still better than having a roster where 70% of the players belong on an AHL team.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Banned

It's interesting to see some oiler fans on the thread when they beach about flames fans on theirs

I guess hypocrisy goes along with annual futility. At least they can take solace in the fact that their team isn't the worst NHL team in Alberta during the last decade, far from it. It's actually the second best!
Old 12-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
I guess hypocrisy goes along with annual futility. At least they can take solace in the fact that their team isn't the worst NHL team in Alberta during the last decade, far from it. It's actually the second best!
Aside from having an all star tender that kept their head above water and covered the many weaknesses for 10 years, the flames have remained irrelevant since '89, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Not much to brag about
Old 12-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
The Leaf's fans of the west are pretty quiet today
Old 12-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So I have been concerned on how much we are playing Rittich. I don't think he is a 70 game guy like say Flurey. I think we need to get Talbot in the rotation way more second half. I didn't see last night but sounds like he was not so Sharpe

Dull as having to watch the Oilers be the worst team in the entire NHL over a whole decade. Yeah he was that kinda dull.

Talbot looked ok. I don't know if its a "rest" issue with Dave. He just had some time off. I kinda think Kippers return to the Sadledome might have got in his head.. Thats the only difference last night. Goalies are weird so it very well might have.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Aside from having an all star tender that kept their head above water and covered the many weaknesses for 10 years, the flames have remained irrelevant since '89, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Not much to brag about
Oh my, we're back in the 80's again are we? Is the Boss playing in the background at your place?

No bragging done in what I posted. Truth ain't bragging. Care to dispute what I said on a factual basis?
Old 12-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Oh my, we're back in the 80's again are we? Is the Boss playing in the background at your place?

No bragging done in what I posted. Truth ain't bragging. Care to dispute what I said on a factual basis?
Assuming the 70% reference was directed at the Oilers here a factual question for you....

There is 24 players listed on NHL.com Oiler's roster. Can you please name the 17 players currently on the Oilers that should be playing in the AHL?

Just the fact Ma'am, just the facts.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The Leaf's fans of the west are pretty quiet today
Oiler fans are usually pretty quite if it's not game day.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Assuming the 70% reference was directed at the Oilers here a factual question for you....

There is 24 players listed on NHL.com Oiler's roster. Can you please name the 17 players currently on the Oilers that should be playing in the AHL?

Just the fact Ma'am, just the facts.

Thanks
Well.... I assumed you would understand the difference between actual statistical data, things like season ending standings in the NHL, total league standing points in the last decade, etc., and a subjective statement. My bad, it went over your head.

Without a doubt 70% is a subjective statement and opinion. Do you have a problem with that?

Give me a factual yardstick where you can say more than 7 should be. See, it cuts both ways.

Here's a question for ya. Purely subjective and a bit of Fantasy Island but does speak to the roster quality of the two teams.

Let's just say we were to remove the two "best" players from each of Alberta's NHL team rosters. Best is subjective, but I'm guessing a large majority of fans would pick the same two players from Edmonton's roster.

Then if those two teams (without their two "best" players) were to play a a seven game series with the remaining roster players (and 2 call ups I guess) what do you honestly think the outcome would be?

I'll go out on a limb and say Edmonton would be lucky to win one game and the series wouldn't go past 5 games. Anybody care to give a subjective opinion? Remember, I've gone on record on the Edmonton thread saying oiler goaltending ain't that great. So it isn't likely Edmonton is going to win a 1-0 game, who's going to score for Edmonton? Neal?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Well.... I assumed you would understand the difference between actual statistical data, things like season ending standings in the NHL, total league standing points in the last decade, etc., and a subjective statement. My bad, it went over your head.

Without a doubt 70% is a subjective statement and opinion. Do you have a problem with that?

Give me a factual yardstick where you can say more than 7 should be. See, it cuts both ways.

Here's a question for ya. Purely subjective and a bit of Fantasy Island but does speak to the roster quality of the two teams.

Let's just say we were to remove the two "best" players from each of Alberta's NHL team rosters. Best is subjective, but I'm guessing a large majority of fans would pick the same two players from Edmonton's roster.

Then if those two teams (without their two "best" players) were to play a a seven game series with the remaining roster players (and 2 call ups I guess) what do you honestly think the outcome would be?

I'll go out on a limb and say Edmonton would be lucky to win one game and the series wouldn't go past 5 games. Anybody care to give a subjective opinion? Remember, I've gone on record on the Edmonton thread saying oiler goaltending ain't that great. So it isn't likely Edmonton is going to win a 1-0 game, who's going to score for Edmonton? Neal?
Here ya go mr. stats

Calgary has 10 players with over 10 points
Oilers have 9 player with over 10 points

Calgary top ten has a combined 231 points
Oilers top ten has a combined 267 points

If you remove Thachuk and Monahan the Flames have 164 points
If you remove McDavid and Draisaitl the Oilers have 143 points

Points and scoring have not been the Oilers trouble, our trouble right now is in the net. Both Calgary goalies are sitting at .915 sv%. Oilers goalies are at .914 and .893. And Koskinen's number has actual came down significantly over the month of December.

So to answer your question, I would choose Rittich and Thachuk
Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Is there a set amount of time that one can go back in the history of hockey? Is this a number you have made up? You being a flames fan one would think you would be living in the '80's.....

What was the last year the flames had a legitimate shot at the cup? Or is that going too far back?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Would you have a problem if I said the same about the Flames or would you expect me to back it up?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:

He wasn't talking about the 80's, he said since 89 which refers to the time period from 1989 until right now. Is that recent enough? Now the Oilers time period would be from 1990 until right now. Both team have done nothing since other than 1 cup run each. FACT
Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
He wasn't talking about the 80's, he said since 89 which refers to the time period from 1989 until right now. Is that recent enough? Now the Oilers time period would be from 1990 until right now. Both team have done nothing since other than 1 cup run each. FACT
Don't confuse with facts
If one really wants to get technical, of those said cup runs, the oilers is the most recent