Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default Used tires for 5th wheel?

I have a chance at a 5th wheel fairly cheap. But given my work situation over the last little while, for the short term it needs to be pretty cheap and then worry about better tires a little later before before I really start using it.

Do I need dedicated RV tires or would some used LT tires work?

I still don’t know tires size as it’s currently sits about 2 hours away from me.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Lots of variables. The main immediate concern is load carrying capacity. LT just signifies anything of a load range C (6 ply rating) or higher, but depending on the weight some LT tires may not be enough. Sometimes DOT/Police etc officers do not really understand tires themselves and can cause you grief if they think you do not have a proper ST product on a trailer. Even though the load is fine they can still use it as an excuse to give you a hard time. It isn't super common but it isn't unheard of either.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 AM

It depends on the weight of the trailer.
I bought 6 brand new 16" boat trailer tires at Canadian Tire on sale for $100 each, watch for clearance sales. They have them every monday.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Used tire can look great, but blow off the trailer at any point. That said, if you are in need, don't plan any trips in the mountains, foothills or any long distance. You will likely replace the trailer tires with decent tread due to the age and cracks. An underinflated/unmounted tire will look great and when mounted it will be just garbage. In my experience, trailer tires are best to use on trailers. The grip provided by the LT tires doesn't help. Earlier this year I replaced my tires on my trailer that had about 60% tread and had the tire shop cut holes in the walls to keep them off the second hand market(had wall cracks). Best tracking tire I've found is the Goodyear Endurance, five tires for less the $900 installed(on sale).
Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Lots of variables. The main immediate concern is load carrying capacity. LT just signifies anything of a load range C (6 ply rating) or higher, but depending on the weight some LT tires may not be enough. Sometimes DOT/Police etc officers do not really understand tires themselves and can cause you grief if they think you do not have a proper ST product on a trailer. Even though the load is fine they can still use it as an excuse to give you a hard time. It isn't super common but it isn't unheard of either.
Actually, the first thing I think of when I read all these threads about switching from ST to LT tires on RVs is what an insurance company would say in the event of an accident where the type of tires used may come in to play. Or mabe that's a non issue as long at the load rating etc. is appropriate? We all know how they hate paying out claims.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Actually, the first thing I think of when I read all these threads about switching from ST to LT tires on RVs is what an insurance company would say in the event of an accident where the type of tires used may come in to play. Or mabe that's a non issue as long at the load rating etc. is appropriate? We all know how they hate paying out claims.
It is never anything I have personally heard of happening but you are right. I wouldn't put it past the insurance companies to use any obscure excuse to avoid paying out a claim.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-13-2019, 12:41 PM

something to keep in mind when looking at used tires is that they do have an expiry date . even is stored inside out of the sun . so you may find a set of "take off" that look like new condition but if they are expired ( six years i think ) you may be buying another headache
Old 10-13-2019, 12:45 PM

From experience I can say that if you have a tire blow and it shreds it can do a lot of damage to the panels.

My advice is that if you can get a deal on a fifth wheel now and the tires can get it to storage then do that and over the winter keep an eye on sales.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:50 PM

I have tread stories onlineout of the U.S. where the trailer was in a wreck and coverage was denied due to lt tires even though they had a way better tire and capacity. Personally I think it is crap but you do leave yourself open. Thought of doing it a few years back when I changed mine but stuck with st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It is never anything I have personally heard of happening but you are right. I wouldn't put it past the insurance companies to use any obscure excuse to avoid paying out a claim.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
something to keep in mind when looking at used tires is that they do have an expiry date . even is stored inside out of the sun . so you may find a set of "take off" that look like new condition but if they are expired ( six years i think ) you may be buying another headache
Actually they do not have an expiry date... They have a production date and not all tires degrade at the same rate. Many things affect this such as proper storage, exposure to environmental issues, type of use, frequency of use etc. Except for specialty compounds such as race tires etc I have zero issue with using a tire even 10 plus years old if it is in good overall condition ie no weatherchecking, cracking, chunking etc..

It is pretty easy to identify a degraded tire if you know what to look for.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 10-13-2019, 06:54 PM

Having had 2 tires blow ouy on my 5ver, I can assure you dont skimp out.
My original tires were, well original, 2004. Swapped them out with my BIL who bought a new trailer and upgraded his tires. Took his, brand new, thought they would last. Blew one the following summer. Slode side, took out all the 110 wiring underneath and some other stuff.
The second was the next summer, passenger side. It frayed and slapped the trailer body and busted up the fender skirt.
Replaced all 4 with 10plys as soon as we got back. Those have been really good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies. I'll look and see what I can find.
The tires will need to be replaced before the trailer is moved. It's been sitting for over 15 years in a site. Tires were not a thought for it.