Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 10:37 PM

Default First time bear hunting

So a buddy and i are planning a bear hunt somewhere up between lac la biche and ft. Mac. Camping out for a week. Neither of us have ever been bear hunting before and as far as i can tell you pretty much need a steady bait station (or a few) set up. Can someone with some experience enlighten me on the procedure here please?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2020, 11:23 PM

You don’t need bait, you are going to an area with lots of bears best thing to do is find some good fall food sources for bears (berries, clover, oats if you have permission on private) and watch them during the evening.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:29 AM

Default 1st bear hunt

Set up some stink baits in pails, rotten fish, beaver, meat and dump a few pails of oats and grease on the ground. Do this in 5 spots. Watch trail cams close checking noon daily. See a bear then bait
Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
You don’t need bait, you are going to an area with lots of bears best thing to do is find some good fall food sources for bears (berries, clover, oats if you have permission on private) and watch them during the evening.
x2, you don't need bait. Evenings are best, but they can still be seen at any time of the day.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM

seen 7 bears going up the Clearwater Monday afternoon, plenty of bears in Fort Mac
Old 08-20-2020, 09:24 AM

Just bring your 22 or shotgun and hunt for grouse. You will see a bear at some point. Plus you will have some great camp food! Best of luck and hope you get a whopper!
Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 PM

You don't need bait to have a great bear hunt. Cutlines/pipelines with clover, berries, find the food and you'll see bears. Spot and stalk is great fun if you have the wind in your favour, bears have incredible noses but don't have the best vision. If the wind is good and they're feeding you can get within rifle range pretty easily, just move when they have their head down and stay still if they're looking your way. Sounds easy doesn't it, every stalk has it's challenges and they're all great fun. Just keep at it and you'll shoot a bear.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:29 PM

I have a large black bear that sleeps on rug on the deck of one of my trapping cabins. Also a large grizz that comes by every halloween in October and pushed the John over at 2nd cabin. Take your pick you can have either one.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post
Just bring your 22 or shotgun and hunt for grouse. You will see a bear at some point. Plus you will have some great camp food! Best of luck and hope you get a whopper!
We'll definitely be bringing our whitetail tags with us, but yhats not a bad idea either.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:55 AM

Ive never really spent any time up there either except for driving through a few times. Im from brooks, so its quite a change of scenery. My plan as of right now is to locate some roads going out into the bush and basically just walking a pipeline or 2 untill we get things figured out. Anything wrong with that? Im only looking at crownland mind you.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddafoe View Post
Ive never really spent any time up there either except for driving through a few times. Im from brooks, so its quite a change of scenery. My plan as of right now is to locate some roads going out into the bush and basically just walking a pipeline or 2 untill we get things figured out. Anything wrong with that? Im only looking at crownland mind you.

Crown land is perfectly fine, when walking those pipelines look for good sign and feed and come back to that area at last light. This spring while hunting west of fort Mac I saw at least a dozen bears in one evenings just by walking pipelines and cut lines to the areas with the best feed.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks for all the info fellas. Feeling alot more confident now.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:52 PM

Good luck to you
Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 PM

Good luck, make sure you check the ground conditions before driving off road and bring a winch.