Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Default Cold Lake Waterfowl

I am hoping that there is someone in the Cold Lake area who would be willing to help me get into waterfowl. I rifle and bow hunt and have a shotgun, however, I have never hunted geese/ducks and would like to try before purchasing decoys, blinds, etc. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 PM

Default Looking for a mentor/teacher

My name is Roland.

I'm a new hunter. I'm a bit old for a begginer, turning 40 this spring. Figured never too late to start.

My original interest was obtaining and processing my own meat. That's still my main reason but as I've taken the Hunter Ed course and done a ton of reading and listening, gathering as much info as I can. The conservation aspect has really intrigued me.

I'm hoping to find someone that might have the time and willingness to show a new hunter some good habits in the field.

I'm not looking to piggyback into someone's honey hole. I'm more intersted in the training and maintenance of riffle and bow, field dressing and harvesting etc.

I know AHEIA has a mentor program but I'm pretty sure that's similar to a draw?! Plus I'd hope they'd try and pair up youths, not older fellows like myself, which I would completely support if were the case.

Anyways if you think you might be able to help out, all info and pointers are greatly appreciated.

I'm in the Edmonton are btw

Thanks

Happy Holidays Hunters
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Fort Mcmurray coyote calling partner

Looking for a buddy to call coyotes with me around the fort mcmurray area , no one i know seems interested figured id try here. I have some permission to private land down south aswell could go down for a weekend hunt or something aswell.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Hey all. I'm in the market for a sheep hunting partner. I'm a rookie sheep hunter but really looking forward to giving it a go this year. I've got the gear I need (or at least I think I do), and will be doing backpack hunts. If the partner has horses and would prefer to use them I'm certainly open to it although not experienced.

I'm in the Edmonton area, but I'm open to teaming up with someone from just about anywhere. Looking to do some scouting trips over the summer and hunting in the fall. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM and we can chat a little more about what each of us is expecting.

Cheers,
Kris
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM

A friend and I are looking for someone to show us the ropes this coming fall. We are interested in going on our first deer hunt. We will take the hunter safety this spring so we are all ready to go come fall.

both of us have been shooting (paper) for years and we both have bolt action rifles to use for the hunt. His schedule is chaotic due to his shift work (LEO), but as long as we plan the hunt far enough in advance he can adjust his schedule.

Neither of us have ever been hunting, and are complete rookies in all aspects of the hunt, including harvesting.

we are located just east of Lethbridge, and hoping someone in southern Alberta is willing to show us a thing or two and get us started on our way to becoming regular hunters.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Default New Hunter - Looking for a mentor

Hello everyone,

I am a new hunter looking to find a mentor - I live in the Edmonton area. Preferably bowhunting for really any species from wolf to Moose and game birds; especially want to develop the harvesting/processing skills needed so I am willing to just tag a long for company to learn the ins and outs.

If you're willing to mentor please drop me a line - we can have a conversation I look forward to meeting many of you in the back country.

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 AM

Default Willing to pack out

Hi all,

Looking to get into hunting. Its daunting as I would be a first generation hunter. Want to learn as much as I can, and am willing to tag a long and pack out meat on a hunt. Just want to learn and be useful.

I can be that extra body and legs to help out your hunt. Can carry extra gear and cook if needed. Again, just want to be out there, and learn from experienced hunters.

Send me a PM, if you think I could be useful and maybe we can have a quick call about it.

Thank you for your consideration, all.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Default Coyote Calling Partner

Looking for someone to call coyotes with near Saskatoon, Sk. I have been into predator hunting and migratory bird hunting for quite some time. I have all the necessary gear, dog, gun you name it. Looking to learn a few tips and hopefully sign up for a few coyote derbies. All pelts are skinned, stretched and sent to market. I have land and proven coyote country to call on as well.

Let me know if you are interested, DM me if you have any further questions.

Last edited by threeforthree; 10-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Hi all,

Probably not the spot for this but just throwing it out there that I'm interested in getting to know some guys up in Canada and maybe arranging a hunt swap someday.

I've got pretty good access to deer in Australia with a few species available as well as some bird and varmint hunting.

My main interest is big game, just send me a pm to chat more

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 AM

Rabbit hunting around Calgary? Anyone interested?

I'm dealing with a bad back so I can't walk too far.

I'm thinking of heading west towards the old homestead range.

Leaving the .17 at home and will take the 20 gauge.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM

Let me know when you want to go and I'll make it work somehow
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Goose Hunting

I was just reading a thread about snow goose hunting, and that prompted me to post this...

I have a 6 month old Lab that I want to learn to hunt waterfowl with. I have limited experience training dogs, and even less experience hunting ducks and geese (I was out once as a teenager). I have been hunting grouse and big game my whole life, however.

I would love to come watch an experienced hunter or hunting party with a dog so I can pick up a few pointers. I'm more than willing to help with any leg work and chores involved, and I'll leave the shotgun and my pup at home so I can observe (I quite enjoy taking friends out hunting, watching them, and skipping the hunting myself).

April goose hunting could be interfered with by my work schedule but I'll try to figure it out.

I am located in Sherwood Park. Shoot me a PM if you're willing to help me out.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Smile New to the Mayerthorpe, Barrhead & Onoway area

I recently moved to Gunn, and I'm looking for hunting opportunities in this part of the province. I'm 60 and have fished and hunted in Ontario, Alberta and the NWT, for the past 46 years. I'm happiest with my life when i'm out in nature, whether hunting, fishing lakes for walleye & perch, or salmon fishing on the coast. For me, it is all about being outdoors. If you are looking for an outdoor partner, or are a landowner looking to exchange hunting permission for anything that I can do for you (take you fishing, handyman, chores, errands, etc), please get in touch. Thank you. Paul
Old 03-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Default In GP for a bit.

Well, title says it. I'll be in the area till June. Have hunting liscence and everything else needed. including a place to hunt spring bear. For the first time in my life. There in lay the problem. My host didnt have liscence in quite early enough. So, unless i can find a host with an open spot on their ticket. I have to wait till the fall... Anyone up for it? sh4dd0w@gmail.com
Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 PM

Anyone around Calgary area want to plan a spring bear hunt? Pm me
Old 03-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Default Coyotes and Gophers all year long

Hi All. Trust you all had somewhat of a decent Winter.
I got autho to hunt Coyotes and Gophers all day long, located 45min and 1.5 hours north of Calgary. Took a bit of work to win trust because previous hunters shot his cattle and water tanks, poached, so really want to maintain the relations with these farmers.

I generally lead teams of solid guys with Security, Military back ground and guys with good head on their shoulders, very easy going and most importantly, responsible. Some are tied up with some projects.
Aim to head out at least twice a month to help the farmers with pest control.
Looking for good guys who want to network and meet like minded hunters.
Current age is 32 - 55. I'm 45 based in Calgary, SW. Work as a Security Director, Close Quarter Combat and First Aid Instructor, Ex South African Police Officer, Don't do long walks on there beach lol!!

Open to introducing new hunters to good habits as well. Great to also have some seasoned Coyote hunters join us to learn more from.

I'd recommend we get together for a beer and chat prior, to see if there's matching personalities and ethics. Will probably head out again 18th or 25 March.

Last edited by Aqr8; 03-13-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Anyone around Athabasca wanna discuss Elk Hunting? I'm new to the scene and hoping to get my feet wet with my bow!

Jeff
Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshorthairpointer View Post
Anyone around Calgary area want to plan a spring bear hunt? Pm me
Did you not read the post directly above you?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqr8 View Post
Hi All. Trust you all had somewhat of a decent Winter.
I got autho to hunt Coyotes and Gophers all day long, located 45min and 1.5 hours north of Calgary. Took a bit of work to win trust because previous hunters shot his cattle and water tanks, poached, so really want to maintain the relations with these farmers.

I generally lead teams of solid guys with Security, Military back ground and guys with good head on their shoulders, very easy going and most importantly, responsible. Some are tied up with some projects.
Aim to head out at least twice a month to help the farmers with pest control.
Looking for good guys who want to network and meet like minded hunters.
Current age is 32 - 55. I'm 45 based in Calgary, SW. Work as a Security Director, Close Quarter Combat and First Aid Instructor, Ex South African Police Officer, Don't do long walks on there beach lol!!

Open to introducing new hunters to good habits as well. Great to also have some seasoned Coyote hunters join us to learn more from.

I'd recommend we get together for a beer and chat prior, to see if there's matching personalities and ethics. Will probably head out again 18th or 25 March.
can you email me? sh4dd0w@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM

Default Looking for a lady rabbit or grouse hunting partner.

Hi,

I'm going to try this again. I'm looking for a lady who would like to go rabbit or grouse hunting. I'm a lady, new to hunting with a little Brittany spaniel, Benson, who is also new to hunting. I'd like to just have someone to go and experience the outdoors with. PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 AM

Hey, I live in red deer and I’m starting to gear up for my first archery elk hunt. Looking for someone to do some scouting/research with and hopefully hunt with this fall. Let me know if your interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 AM

I'll be doing my first season this year in SE Alberta. Looking for anyone who may enjoy taking out first timers. Long time shooter, first time hunter.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Looking for people who love the outdoors.

My wife and I (both 39) love the outdoors, we spend every available weekend in the mountains with our horses or fishing or hiking. In the fall we both hunt and love to get out. We are both very experienced and comfortable being in the mountains, we have all the gear and horses we need to make any trip. We both are more about the experience and the adventure then we are about the kill. We like to hunt hard when its time but also love to kick back and relax a few days here and there. We are looking for ideally another couple to travel to the mountains with on adventures, but re open to hunting with anyone who shares our interests.
We live SW of Edmonton
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formykids View Post
My wife and I (both 39) love the outdoors, we spend every available weekend in the mountains with our horses or fishing or hiking. In the fall we both hunt and love to get out. We are both very experienced and comfortable being in the mountains, we have all the gear and horses we need to make any trip. We both are more about the experience and the adventure then we are about the kill. We like to hunt hard when its time but also love to kick back and relax a few days here and there. We are looking for ideally another couple to travel to the mountains with on adventures, but re open to hunting with anyone who shares our interests.

We live SW of Edmonton

Hi guys, I’m 33, new in hunting but really interested in learning all about. Normally I have gone out by myself but I think I could more fun and I can learn more if I go with someone more experienced. If you’re interested, just let me know and we can arrange for some scouting. I live in Calgary. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Looking for someone to go mulie, whitetail, or elk hunting this fall during rifle season. I'm not picky as to what we hunt if you have something specific you want to hunt. Just moved to Calgary, so anywhere around 4 hours from there is fine. I been hunting in BC for the last 5 years with a few moose, deer, and bear down. I can drive, share gas, share meat the usual situation. I'm 27 PM for any more information. If no one is interested thats fine i'll head out solo anyways. If you want to scout or go to the range in the spring summer i am up for that as well.

Moe.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Bear hunting

Anyone going bear hunting from Edmonton area? Send me a pm.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Default Bear hunting

Anyone going bear hunting from Calgary area WMW 300 ? Send me a pm.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Deer hunting near Drayton Valley

Looking for someone willing to teach a green hunter a few things. Im south of Drayton Valley. Please PM me
Old 07-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Duck goose hunting

Hey guys. Looking for groups around North Battleford area to start chasing ducks and geese with. Have decoys,gun,blind. Usually hunt water. Looking to start field hunting this year.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 PM

Default Hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty_450 View Post
Hey guys. Looking for groups around North Battleford area to start chasing ducks and geese with. Have decoys,gun,blind. Usually hunt water. Looking to start field hunting this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, an old hunter View Post
I am a 70 year old male and a serious hunter. I have had many hunting partners over the years and have been in a number of hunt gangs in Ontario, where party hunting is allowed. I have been in Alberta since 1980 and have
hunted deer, elk, or moose in most of the foothills MMUs from Coleman in the south to Valleyview in the North. Unfortunately, every one I have hunted with has either died off or moved away. I have been hunting deer by myself for the
last 10 or so years but A) it is not as much fun as when you have company,
B) my wife is concerned that I might hurt myself or have a medical emergency
while deep in the bush or camping by myself in places where no one knows where to find me, or C) I can not hunt anything larger than a deer or anything away back off a road because I am just not as strong as I used to be. I am retired so I am able to go almost any time. I have a complete inventory of camping and hunting supplies including a 4x4 and a RV trailer, if needed. I do not care how old or experienced you are as long as you are serious about hunting. I do enjoy a couple of beer in the evening but do not allow any drinking during the hunting day. I am a firm believer in gun safety and safety in general. If you would be interested in learning more, do not hesitate to reply. By the way, I live in Calgary but have had hunting partners in Edmonton and elsewhere.
Hello Tom, I read your post and wander if you have found a hunting partner. I am in the exact same situation this year. I am retired and I live in Calgary. My wife is also concerned about my safety and also it is not to much fun to hunt alone. I have permission to hunt (usually) in a big section of land not very far from Calgary. I hunted for almost forty years in Ontario (bow) and since 2001 in Alberta (gun only). As I previously stated since I am retired, like you, I am free to go anytime. I will leave my phone number If you will be interested to talk more. One more thing, I will be on holiday in Europe from July 30 returning September 17. My name is Massimo and this is my cell #(403)472-1947