Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Default Scope weights and Suggestions

I'm getting a custom 7mm rem mag built and I'm trying to decide on what scope to top it with. Would like to keep it to $2000 or under. The rifle will be used for some back packing hunts so I would like to keep it to the lighter end of things. I have a hard time finding the actual weights of a lot of scopes. Id like the ability to shoot out to 500 yards so the huskemaw with the ballistic turret interests me, however its 22oz. I need some suggestions on good quality scopes such as zeiss, swaro, nightforce, huskemaw, vortex, etc. Most I find are in that 20 to 26 oz range.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM

I shoot out to 500 yards using a Swarovski Z-5 3.5-18×44 scope with the BRH reticle. Optically, I find the Z-5 or the Zeiss HD-5 superior to the Huskemaw, which I feel is greatly over rated.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Have a look at the Sightron S III's
Old 03-22-2018, 05:38 PM

I have (although have yet to use it) a Vortex Razor LH 3-15 with G4 reticle. At the time of purchase I put it up against the Zeiss Conquest HD5 and Leica ER5, preferred it to either of those. It is very clear, has a simple uncluttered reticle and weighs about a pound. IIRC this particular model is being discontinued and retailers are selling them at about $1000.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 PM

Huskemaw. Been there done that. There calibrated turret is great if you never plan on changing ammo. 1/3 moa clicks are the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Once you look through a nightforce you will realize the Huskemaw are over priced. If weight is not an issue I would look at a NF SHV in a 2.5-10 or 4.5-14. If you want a lighter scope I would look at a swaro or Zeiss with a ballistic reticle.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
I have (although have yet to use it) a Vortex Razor LH 3-15 with G4 reticle. At the time of purchase I put it up against the Zeiss Conquest HD5 and Leica ER5, preferred it to either of those. It is very clear, has a simple uncluttered reticle and weighs about a pound. IIRC this particular model is being discontinued and retailers are selling them at about $1000.
I was checking those out at Cabelas,they really area nice scope.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-23-2018, 01:04 AM

Default Scope weights and Suggestions

If you don’t plan to shoot over 600 yards BDC is the way to go. I’ve put Ziess HD5’s with the rapid z through some pretty rough hunts and they held up great they are my choice for hunting rifles.

Turrets take to much time and will not be as mechanically reliable.

The 3-15x42 weigh 18 oz I believe.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:25 AM

Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44 with BRH reticle 16 ounces. One of the lightest high powered scopes on the market. Zeiss, Swaro and Leuopold ALL publish their scope weights on their websites under the specifications section.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:47 AM

Dean, I think that's going to be my next scope.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-23-2018, 04:03 AM
Banned

I had a couple Swarovski Z5's, Zeiss HD5's, and Leupold VX6's, sold most of them in favor of the Z3's to put on my ultralight rifles. At just a hair over 11oz there isn't another scope on the market I could find that would compare. Between the Swarovski BRH and the Zeiss Rapid Z reticles I much prefer the Rapid Z reticle system, if Zeiss offered a lightweight version I would've gone that route just to get the Rapid Z. Optically any one of these scopes will get you a clear picture well after legal light.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 AM

I personally prefer to dial and don't find that it is a slow process. Drop chart on the stock, range, read wind, dial, shoot. But the problem with a decent repeatable scope is they are heavy. I have never used the Rapid Z reticle, but know a few guys that like them. What do you guys do for a wind hold with that reticle? I've never looked through one with the Rapid Z reticle.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
I personally prefer to dial and don't find that it is a slow process. Drop chart on the stock, range, read wind, dial, shoot. But the problem with a decent repeatable scope is they are heavy. I have never used the Rapid Z reticle, but know a few guys that like them. What do you guys do for a wind hold with that reticle? I've never looked through one with the Rapid Z reticle.
So which do you think is faster when a bull elk walks across a cutline at 500 yards, range it, look at your drop chart on your stock, twist the turrets and then shoot, or range it, then choose the correct hash mark and shoot? If time is short, looking at a drop chart and twisting turrets, may not be quick enough. I use turrets for target and for varmints, but I prefer a BDC reticle for big game.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
There are windage hash marks as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:20 AM

Thanks Kurt, I thought there must be. I’d like to try one sometime.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:29 PM

Check out Swaro and Zeiss websites. They have detailed pictures and descriptions of their various reticles.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So which do you think is faster when a bull elk walks across a cutline at 500 yards, range it, look at your drop chart on your stock, twist the turrets and then shoot, or range it, then choose the correct hash mark and shoot? If time is short, looking at a drop chart and twisting turrets, may not be quick enough. I use turrets for target and for varmints, but I prefer a BDC reticle for big game.
Well that actually did happen this past November. Had two bulls walk out on a cutline at 625 yds. In this case there was zero wind on the cutline so I ranged the bulls, checked drop chart for 625 yds and just held with my reticle instead of dialing. Scope is a NF with MOAR reticle. So I would of made this shot similar to using the Rapid Z reticle. But in all reality For the 2 seconds it takes to dial I could of done that as well. Gotta wait for the animals to stop walking at that distance anyway, or I'm not shooting. Many ways to shoot and use what you are comfortable with. I like MOA turrets and a MOA reticle. Works for me.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 PM

Rapid Z IMO is the very easiest (quickest) way to give you confidence to make those longer shots without having to mess around with anything.

I'm a simpleton ...

I basically leave mine at the prescribed magnification (say 12 power as an example) and the lower hash marks correspond nicely to distances at 100 yard intervals. Put the 3 hash mark for 300 yard shots, the 4 for 400 yard shots ..... etc...

You get this magnification after using a chrony (highly recommended as barrel length varies and velocity from rifle to rifle) to get your actual rifles muzzle velocity and input the rest of the info like your factory ammo into the software first and you are done. The margin of error is indescribable - it's that good.

After that - leave your scope on that setting and point and shoot using the corresponding hash mark.

In a real hunting situation where time is money - this is brainless and easy.

Zeiss makes great clear and bright glass and they are generally quite light compared to similar scopes out there. You can beat them up and never worry about the scope not holding zero.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:32 AM

I see what you guys are saying but still having a hard time with this reticle. I should really look through one so forgive me. What do you guys do in this example?
Elk is at 950 yds which hash mark do you use?
My 300 Win Mag shooting 215's at 3000 fps drop data: 1000 yds=23.1 MOA or 241.5"
950 yds+ 21.2 MOA or 211.3"
That's a difference of 30.2". I don't see how you can hold reticle that accurate unless it is one of those very busy ones that I just can't use. To confusing for me. Is there something I am missing here? This will apply to other yardages as well but obviously gets more extreme the farther out you go.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I see what you guys are saying but still having a hard time with this reticle. I should really look through one so forgive me. What do you guys do in this example?
My 300 Win Mag shooting 215's at 3000 fps drop data: 1000 yds=23.1 MOA or 241.5"
That's a difference of 30.2". I don't see how you can hold reticle that accurate unless it is one of those very busy ones that I just can't use. To confusing for me. Is there something I am missing here? This will apply to other yardages as well but obviously gets more extreme the farther out you go.
If the elk is 950 yards away, I get at least 450 yards closer, or I don't shoot.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:

Here is a Rapid Z 1000 reticle if you plan on shooting at ranges over 600yds (Rapid Z 600) or 800yds (Rapid Z 800).

Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
X2. Most BDC reticles are good out to 600m with a magnum cartridge. I get 500m with my slow 308 winchester. Range and shoot. Nothing to twist, nothing to accidentally be twisted and messes your shot. Same settings for all shots.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Regardless of your scope reticle setup, 950 yards is an extreme shot. 10 mph crosswind would equal 8 feet of wind drift. 2mph difference in wind would miss an elks vitals. If the wind is travelling in a different direction anywhere in your 950 yards it would be a miss on the vitals. just because you can compensate for the constant of gravity doesnt mean you should think you can properly and consistently make the shot to do it on an animal.

Is the purpose of your hunting because you enjoy the connection with being outside and respect your quarry, or is this just an excuse to shoot reactive targets for an ego booster? If your asking questions about reticles and bullet drop, you should be looking for large peices of paper to shoot at, or a gong, not some animal.

You can shoot 500 to 600 meters with a $100 entry level bdc scope. Start there and get a feel for how much wind factors into your shot and then decide if you want to invest in a scope for longer distances. The wind for 500 or 600 meters is enough for a complete miss on target if it isnt read properly. If you cant figure it out at 500, then getting a scope for 800 or 1000 is kind of a waste then wouldnt it.

Last edited by Nyksta; 03-27-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Wow guys my 1000 yd elk was a example. Really don’t need a lecture. Was curious about the Rapid Z reticle is all. I shoot multiple guns from 500 to 910 yds at steel. Far as the property allows. Being in southern Manitoba I know what wind does to a bullet; believe me. I’d need to try the Rapid Z to see how I like it. Just can’t see it being as accurate as dialing. Example would be 5.25 MOA elevation and 2.5 MOA wind. Don’t see how you can hold .25 MOA with a reticle. Thought this site was more open to long range. Guess not.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Here is a Rapid Z 1000 reticle if you plan on shooting at ranges over 600yds (Rapid Z 600) or 800yds (Rapid Z 800).

The Rapid Z 1000 was designed for the 308 cartridge only. The Rapid z 600 and 800 work with most modern velocity centerfires and work very well. Unfortunately with the advent of the Conquest V6 and V4 with target turrets and NOA reticles Zeiss has discontinued the Rapid Z. It is my favorite hunting solution and I will mourn its passing!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Wow guys my 1000 yd elk was a example. Really don’t need a lecture. Was curious about the Rapid Z reticle is all. I shoot multiple guns from 500 to 910 yds at steel. Far as the property allows. Being in southern Manitoba I know what wind does to a bullet; believe me. I’d need to try the Rapid Z to see how I like it. Just can’t see it being as accurate as dialing. Example would be 5.25 MOA elevation and 2.5 MOA wind. Don’t see how you can hold .25 MOA with a reticle. Thought this site was more open to long range. Guess not.
There is no unfriendliness to "long range". There is just discussion on what is each persons appropriate range". If you are successful on a regular basis at a certain distance then that is your range. If you are talking about long range as in distances that are a challenge because they are beyond what you are competant at hitting, then it shouldnt be considered for hunting. Keep it to the paper and gongs.

Last edited by Nyksta; 03-27-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM

With that I do totally agree NYKSTA. But with your recommendation of a $100 scope and your "GUESS" of 8 feet of wind drift I disagree. For scopes I'll stick with NF. As far as wind drift goes I don't know what you are shooting that will drift 8 feet at 950 yds, but you may want to change bullets/Caliber. The 300 WIN MAG load I used as an example with a full value 10 mph wind at 90 degrees drifts 3.6 MOA or 33.9". So you were only off by 62.1". Long range shots are never a guess. I am not saying I am the best shot because I am not. But under the right conditions I wouldn't want to be a deer or elk standing out there. Sorry to the OP for the Hyjack.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
With that I do totally agree NYKSTA. But with your recommendation of a $100 scope and your "GUESS" of 8 feet of wind drift I disagree. For scopes I'll stick with NF. As far as wind drift goes I don't know what you are shooting that will drift 8 feet at 950 yds, but you may want to change bullets/Caliber. The 300 WIN MAG load I used as an example with a full value 10 mph wind at 90 degrees drifts 3.6 MOA or 33.9". So you were only off by 62.1". Long range shots are never a guess. I am not saying I am the best shot because I am not. But under the right conditions I wouldn't want to be a deer or elk standing out there. Sorry to the OP for the Hyjack.
8 feet for 308 win. As long as you know your numbers for your setup thats what counts.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
As far as long range shots go, the windage is always an educated guess. You can measure the wind at your shooting position, but you can't measure it at the animal, or along the way to the animal. And both the wind direction and velocity can vary significantly over 950 yards.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Educated guess yes. But never just a guess. There’s mirage, foliage or grass at target that’s what I look for. As most guys, wind is my biggest problem. But that’s why we practice in variable conditions.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I was checking those out at Cabelas,they really area nice scope.
I do wonder why they are dropping that reticle, its pretty clean and the other choice (HSR-4?) is pretty busy for my eyes.