Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Speaking of scopes....

Now, without getting into the "personal ethics" of advancing technology, has anyone here had any experience, or read any credible reviews on the new laser rangefinding scopes? Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, and I think Leica all have them. Funny thing is, the Burris, Nikon and Bushnell are suspiciously similar. I looked at one when I was in Red Deer today, and the idea intrigues me. I currently don't own a rangefinder, and the Bushnell comes with different scope turrets for different calibers and bullet weights (well 5 total, so some interpolation and trial and error might be in order). The idea is, you range your target, say it's 300 yards. You would have the turret installed for your caliber, dial the scope to 300 yards, hold dead on, and let 'er fly. I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, and am contemplating the new gadget, or a new gun. I really don't NEED another gun...but....
Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 PM

Haven't heard much about them, looks like a pretty sweet idea though. Look like the are pretty heavy though.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

O.K lets try it hear guy's..
Scopes are as far as I'm concerned as important, if not more important than the gun when it comes to personal choice... Well that's not true because I'm sure we have all taken a lot of game with a good gun and poor scope....(all guns are good)
We were talking on another thread about money,, verses quality,, and I do not see the relevance.. You can get good quality without paying for the name... Guy's,, you can only shoot so far,, (ethical) and as such why pay for the name... O.k if we did not pack binos I could see wanting the sharpest of scopes,, but I'll bet 90% of us all pack some sort of other optics...
I am not against $3000.00 scopes its just that I would rather spend it on the gun,, and put not a junk piece of optics on it but a quality piece of optics on it...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
sheephunter

You're paying for a lot more than the name Walleyes but this thread is about laser range finding scopes so let's not hijack this one either.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Leica doesn't make them but the other companies you mentioned do, as well as Zeiss.

I see them as sort of an anomaly... I was taught from a young age never to point a gun at something I didn't wish to kill or destroy.... With these things you have to point the gun at the target to range it.

When they improve the technology enough to make these things look half-ass like a normal scope, they will likely become very popular, but untill then I don't think anybody really wants that thing attached to their rifle. I've never taken a close look at one, because I'm very happy with the system I currently use.

Don't really see them as being unethical though. It's been many years since Man hunted with sticks and rocks and I don't hear any complaints.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 07-04-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 AM

It's an interesting idea, but I don't like the looks of any models that I've seen so far. I would agree with ABDUKNUT's comment about though, I'd be worried that some guys might be using their rifle to "range" things that they shouldn't be pointing a firearm at.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:20 AM

True, I never thought of that. There are enough yahoos who use their rifles to glass for game as it is, that may add to the problem even more.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Default duk dude that is a good point!!well said

Im more of a K.I.S.S fan, although it sounds interesting , i would probably not consider one. it has a place perhaps on a coyote calling rig so i can see it working, but im a little leary of it on a 200 yard dedicated WT/elk rig
we have all been there..so many misplaced or miissed oppurtunities have happened because of scopes being left on 10x in the bush or the AO was set too hi/low... fancy flip caps stuck closed...etc. n'so on..
in a still hunting or rattling sequence, i rarely, if ever have used a my RF, although i have it along, things have a way of happening too slow in a hurry to include one more procedure.
IMO, i dont like TV's with the dvd/vcr combo units either, if one component fails, the unit has failed
heck just go get one, let us all know where and when and we can go and test drive it

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 AM

A friend of mine purchased a Bushnell range-finding scope earlier this year and mounted it on his crossbow. That’s right, his crossbow! I thought that was extremely odd, but given the extreme trajectory of the arrow flight he wanted to be able to accurately determine distance instantly. It seems to be a pretty cumbersome unit but he’s very happy with the performance and the accuracy (or information) it has provided him.

I always take my rangefinder hunting but tend only to use it when I am glassing for points of reference to establish distance so that I can shoot within my comfort zone. I find that I often grossly overestimate distances in hilly terrain and a rangefinder allows me to more accurately judge the horizontal plane.

That is an interesting observation by ABDUKNUT, and I agree about the potential concerns of someone sweeping an area with the muzzle of a gun.

I guess for me a rangefinder is used more for “not taking a shot” as opposed to “taking a shot”. I personally don’t want to fiddle around with turret adjustments, adjustable objectives, etc. when I see an animal I want to harvest. Regards, Mike
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 AM

You don't look through the optic mounted on your gun for any other reason than to aquire the target you intend to shoot so if you need a range finder it should be a seperate optic.