Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM
sheephunter

I've got a great selection of scopes that includes Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Weaver, Simmons, Burris, Zeiss and Swarovski. They are all great scopes and I'm not saying that one is more accurate than another but it still doesn't mean that I don't appreciate quality optics. I've never shot a sheep with a 4x that I remember. I shot my first ram with a fixed 6x but that was a lot of years ago......19 to be exact. Since then they've all been variables in the 9x to 10x maximum range. Edited: Sorry misread your post...I've killed three rams and a whack of ewes.

Your friends and relatives seem to have a lot of problems with scopes holding zero...possibly some higher quality rings could solve the problem.

I have no doubt that your Leupolds have served you well because I know mine have served me well too and I'm certain that I could have killed every animal I've taken with a Leupold scope mounted on my rifles but I do appreciate the finer qualities of the German optics as well and love shooting them. I guess a 1974 Mazda truck could get you to work every day as well but some of us appreciate the finer things in life.

Leupolds are great optics but please don't tell me I'm wasting my money or paying for a name with the German glass. Like you said, you maybe shouldn't be talking about things you have no experience with.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-05-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
If you saw a Zeiss lose zero walleyes, I'd bet money it had to do with rings.
Usually flimsy rings,incorrect torquing of the base and rings,or out of alignment causing stress on the scope tube.The worst offender is see through mounts which are normally are the weakest of all.I have owned tasco,weaver,simmons,bushnell,leupold,zeiss and swarovski,and while only the simmons and tasco have ever failed in use,the zeiss and swarovski were optically superior to all others.