Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Yup that ram is from Cadomin , i got pictures of him a few weeks ago, was sitting with the game warden who was taking pictures of him, the game warden that was there said the fellow from sherwood park that bought the hunt for this year at fnaws is going to try for that ram,(if it leaves the mine) myself and game warden and two of his compadres were trying to score him and come up with (sure glad im not the guide). he's between 200-205 fellas.
very hard to score his bases even at the 50 yards with my nikon.
Did you see that ram on highway 40 where the mine is shut down or right in Cadomin? The place where the mined is shut down( that pull off the road and park place and read the sign) is always a good place to see rams...then as you head down the hill to Cadomin the elk are there.

If you want to see a really great sight and view, climb that mountian behind the campground in Cadomin. I and this 15 year old boy who went camping with my family did it once and only once....why I climbed it...being scared of hights... I well never know...I guess I had a stupit attack. I frooze and I don't mean cold...I mean I was unable to move. Anyhow I prepared myself, got myself strenghten and started for the top again and made it to the first big boulders. There I saw a Pika(like a hammster you could say), then we went up further and saw some young and some ewe sheep lying down just about 15 yards to my right, some stayed and some moved up ward, then we woke a few more up and up they went( boy are they ever sure footed animals, man sleeping on small ledges, walking on small eleges, jumping on small boulders). Finally the two of us made it to the top, the young lad was the first to reach the top. There on top of this "flat top" mountian was 32 sheep(I counted), but they slowly left the area upon are arrival. Anyhow we saw the mines down below, ( the ones that are closed now) and a lot of wilderness as far as the eye can see.

Now to get back down, and it wasn't the way we came up. We followed the sheep downward on the flat surface, but they went right and we headed straight for about 300 yards and turn left and down the hill we went, using the trees for hanging on to, half way down we scared up a couple of elk. Then at last we made it back to camp.

I was sure that we took pictures but....they got tussed out when we moved to our new home. Just the young man, myself and my family are the only witnesses we have to back up our story..there we others in the camp ground who saw us for awhile but lost sight of us.

This is great motivation to enjoy the great outdoors.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 AM

Default he's still there....

That ram was with a dozen others right at the mine lookout this weekend......it worries me that he's becoming common knowledge....every year there seems to be one or two "abductions" from that area......god bless DNA....
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Default rams

yea thats exactly where i seen that ram was from that lookout with my son, i was talkign to the warden and he said if there is some more of these rams go missing then they are going to make a point of putting chips in all of em that they can find around the 200 mark.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 AM

Default gunslinger

Hi Gunslinger, The guy from Sh. Pk. with the minister permit is a good friend of mine. He was in awe taking pictures of those rams, he has about 700 pics.
He is going for dalls with Chris M, he's a good guy and good outfitter. I hunt whiteys just south of his place, we were trying to get up there this sprng for a drink, but got busy. Take care, Mike.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Default rams

yea cranker chris is a good friend of mine, me and him killed apolar bear together up in nunavit, coral harbour, i guided for him for moose and sheep up in the bonnet so it shoudl be a good hunt im really looking forward to it thats for sure.
best of luck to your buddy, i will be so happy to see the ram he is gonna go after, who is guideing him or is he doing it all on his own.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Default rams

He has 3 guys lined up, they helped a husband & wife pair shoot a 186 and 193 rams. They sound like they know what there doing. he was hoping to hire Chris, but it would be too busy, he would be running his whitetail camp.
I hope you get a good ram in BP with Chris.
My buddy also shot a 9'6" polar bear, he got it on video, pretty cool.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM

Default big boys

uh huh i finally found my memory stick with the pictures on it, hes a cranker alright, me and my son wathced him for three days, couldnt get enough of him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0672.jpg (181.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0665.jpg (184.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 PM
sheephunter

Great ram.....time to empty the gun!

He does look fairly tight curled...what did you guess his length at?

Saw a ram in November that only had one horn that was definitely over 46" but he was broke right off on other side.

Hard to judge these rams as you see so few but I've got a guess...what's yours?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 PM

Default score

well sheep he is fairly tight curled and broomed but i guessed him at 43 inches long, which i guess would put him close to a 197-200 inch ram, but the game warden that i was taking pictures with says there no doubt about it he is over 200 inches, he scored him 202-205 ummm im not sure hes that big, but he does have unreal mass.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:58 PM
sheephunter

I think you are 100% on the money. My guess was 42" and 196 but could be a few inches out for sure. He sure does carry his weight well but I don't think he is much over 15 1/2 on the bases. Either way, I'm going to empty my rifle on him! Great pics...thanks for sharing.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Default mass

yea he is big but im not sure hes got the mass that the crousen ram has or not, anyway the warden says there is a good chance that the fella that got the tag this year is goona get a crack at him, warden says he sees him leave the mine. i said i dont know if he will or not at his age, he said to me that ram is a real scrapper and he will step out of bounds...i picked that wardens brain so much i think he left so i woudlnt ask anymore questions,ahahah
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 AM
sheephunter

After hunting with 209 there last year, I was surprised to see how few rams left the mine...and that was the last November season. I think things have changed a lot since Crousen killed his ram. We literally saw one ram outside the mine during the last week of November. Having the first couple weeks of December may be an advantage for sure but it's not like it used to be. Hopefully I find out this year when I win the Minister's permit.