Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Building a Cigar Humidor?

Has any one on here ever built their own cigar humidor? I think that they use Spanish cedar or its lined in it, do you know where to get it? Where could one fine blue prints, humidifier and gauges?
I would like to build one that recesses into the wall for a flat look and hold around 50-75 cigars.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:30 PM

I can offer you nothing but moral support.
That sounds like a cool project.
Please let us know how it goes.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Most humidors are lined with Spanish cedar but are not built in whole with it simply because it is kind of boring looking and the are much prettier woods out there. You can find Spanish cedar at many online wood stores in Canada, or you might check out Windsor Plywood. Their prices are usually a bit more expensive, but factoring the small quantity you will need and the convenience of a store front, I would probably suggest starting there.

As for plans, if you are already somewhat woodworking proficient, it isn't difficult and is not really any different that building any box like a jewelry box or the like, except with a few more details, but if you like to have step by step instructions, online there are a wealth of free plans out there.

This one is decent... Just alter measurements to scale if you want something bigger or smaller.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...ee/humidor.pdf
Old 02-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

local cigar places should have all the hygrometers and humidification devices you need.

i've had a few humidors but never built one. in my opinion i would never build one unless i was very good at woodworking the seal needs to be perfect or your cigars will be junk.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
local cigar places should have all the hygrometers and humidification devices you need.

i've had a few humidors but never built one. in my opinion i would never build one unless i was very good at woodworking the seal needs to be perfect or your cigars will be junk.
Actually, sealing them is really not difficult at all. That is where the spanish cedar comes in as it is really good at absorbing moisture which does cause the wood to swell to a degree and seal well. That is why you will often see wooden souvenirs from tropical places crack and split when they come back to Alberta because of the opposite effect where the wood will dry out and shrink here.

Just pay attention to your moisture meter!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Actually, sealing them is really not difficult at all. That is where the spanish cedar comes in as it is really good at absorbing moisture which does cause the wood to swell to a degree and seal well.
haha sure, i'm not a woodworker, all i know if that if the lid/door doesn't seal you might aswell throw it out. i can't tell you how many i had that would never even season they were so bad.

i've chucked a few humidors because they weren't up to snuff.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
haha sure, i'm not a woodworker, all i know if that if the lid/door doesn't seal you might aswell throw it out. i can't tell you how many i had that would never even season they were so bad.

i've chucked a few humidors because they weren't up to snuff.
Totally hear you. That is where I would actually prefer to build my own. When someone is doing it themselves at home they have the time and desire to do a patient and decent job. Even someone who is a relative woodworking newbie will usually do quite a decent job if they are serious about it and it is a labour of love because they are not in a production by necessity type situation. When something is built in a factory type environment, there is a lot of susceptibility to issues. Things like I described with the wood shrinking and swelling with humidity is always a problem since the box could have been built somewhere there is high humidity and by bringing it to somewhere with almost no humidity will cause the wood to shrink and the seal to now not be not as tight, but if you build it out of wood already seasoned to your home environment, there will definitely be much less wood movement.

That said, if you are not patient enough to do things carefully and properly, then buying one will definitely be a lot simpler...