Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 02:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Angry Cost per day to house a prisoner!

The costs for keeping adults in custody are typically higher for the federal system. On average, in 2014/2015, institutional expenditures amounted to about $302 per day for federal offenders, compared to about $199 per day for provincial and territorial offenders...I could trim the fat off that real quick!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The costs for keeping adults in custody are typically higher for the federal system. On average, in 2014/2015, institutional expenditures amounted to about $302 per day for federal offenders, compared to about $199 per day for provincial and territorial offenders...I could trim the fat off that real quick!
79 cents, well worth it for the cost of a reload.....
Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 AM

that's expensive Bread and Water
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 AM

Should make them earn their keep.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Wow that is almost just as much as staying at the Banff Springs for the night.

Those guys in Jail have it way too good.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 AM

And to think that likely the average family working hard day in and out supporting family and trying to find time to enjoy some of the finer things in life isn't clearing an income of half that 300$ a day.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Should make them earn their keep.
Exactly, put them to work to help offset the cost. And before anyone starts ranting about slave labor, remember, these people are in prison because they committed crimes.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Gone Hunting

So many experts, so little knowledge.

I've visited prisons, they are no luxury hotel.
I wouldn't want to be locked in one of those cells for even one minute but prisoners spend 23 hours a day, 365 days a year in them.

They have a sparse bed and a sink toilet combination affair. Nothing more.
No fridge, no TV, no coach, no chair.

I am told that federal prisons do have a TV in a common room, but I didn't see any in the prisons I visited.

The prisoners I met get one dollar a day for doing janitorial work, nothing more.

The $150.00 to $400.00 dollars a day does not go into their pockets, it goes to pay guard salaries, kitchen staff, office staff, heating and power bills, medicine and all the other things necessary to keep a man alive, but not living.

Most of the prisoners I visited would have loved to have a job. Most would even work for free rather then sit in those cells all day.

Some of those guys are just average folk who made one mistake, not hardened criminals.

Some of you know, drinking and driving can land you in jail. How many here can say they never did that? Not many I bet.

Maybe it makes you feel big to talk about how tough you would be on prisoners. To me it makes you look uninformed.
I wouldn't wish prison on anyone, not even my worst enemy.

It's a living hell. A necessary living hell. Some people just can't be in society, but that doesn't make it good thing. It's a last resort.

Yeah it costs a lot. Personally I think it would be more human and more corrective to lock the petty criminals in stocks at the local mall for a few days and electrocute those who can not or will not learn to live by societies rules.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I wouldn't want to be locked in one of those cells for even one minute but prisoners spend 23 hours a day, 365 days a year in them.

I am told that federal prisons do have a TV in a common room, but I didn't see any in the prisons I visited.

The prisoners I met get one dollar a day for doing janitorial work, nothing more.

The $150.00 to $400.00 dollars a day does not go into their pockets, it goes to pay guard salaries, kitchen staff, office staff, heating and power bills, medicine and all the other things necessary to keep a man alive, but not living.

Most of the prisoners I visited would have loved to have a job. Most would even work for free rather then sit in those cells all day.

Some of those guys are just average folk who made one mistake, not hardened criminals.

Some of you know, drinking and driving can land you in jail. How many here can say they never did that? Not many I bet.

Maybe it makes you feel big to talk about how tough you would be on prisoners. To me it makes you look uninformed.

It's a living hell. A necessary living hell. Some people just can't be in society, but that doesn't make it good thing. It's a last resort.

Yeah it costs a lot. Personally I think it would be more human and more corrective to lock the petty criminals in stocks at the local mall for a few days and electrocute those who can not or will not learn to live by societies rules.
Just to be clear. These people made the conscious decision to break the law and took that risk wholly and completely upon themselves. If you don't want to go to prison it is VERY simple to avoid. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

And yes. They should be funding their stay in the crowbar hotel on their own dime. No reason to victimize the taxpayer twice. In fact, not only should criminals be funding their stay in prison, they should be funding police forces, and the entire judicial system.

I make no apologies for failing to muster any sympathy for people that so easily failed to show any for the innocent citizens of this country that they victimized.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Just to be clear. These people made the conscious decision to break the law and took that risk wholly and completely upon themselves. If you don't want to go to prison it is VERY simple to avoid. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

And yes. They should be funding their stay in the crowbar hotel on their own dime. No reason to victimize the taxpayer twice. In fact, not only should criminals be funding their stay in prison, they should be funding police forces, and the entire judicial system.

I make no apologies for failing to muster any sympathy for people that so easily failed to show any for the innocent citizens of this country that they victimized.
Exactly, the government doesn't just round up innocent people and put them in prison. And they don't usually put people in prison for very minor offenses either. As for impaired driving, people don't usually get sent to prison for a first offense, it's usually the result of multiple convictions. As to prison being an unpleasant lace to be, it should be, it's prison, it's not a resort.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I like your plan 'B'. We could then use the funding saved for housing seniors and homeless vets etc. Priorities.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

We know where the money goes to pay for these wankers but it is far from a living hell and it should be so that being said cut costs by giving them a hell of a lot less and put them through labour that benefits society...I know a few thousand miles of ditches need cleaning...etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Back in the 60's I was a Correction Officer at the Nordegg Gaol (old Enlish but pronounced jail) and the inmates received .50 per working day. They cut brush in the ditches of the Forestry road during the summer and burned it during the winter. They cut fire wood for the camp sites in the area, picked pine cones following the timber crews. The pine cones were sent to Edmonton and made into seedlings, which were sent back to the Gaol for the inmates to plant in the burned out areas. They maintained brush control at the various camp grounds, they did any labour jobs required by the Forestry people. And, they fought forest fires in the area however, they received full fire pay for that job.

A crew was tasked to dismantle the houses in the Nordegg town site. The nails were removed from the boards and stacked according to size and the Gaol sold the lumber to the public with all monies going to the Receiver General of Alberta.

Today, guess all they do is take drugs, watch TV and play on the computer.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:

Well said!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM

A good friend did a stretch in the provincial system, did the full deuce less a day. By his own admission he deserved it. One thing he noticed was birds of a feather do indeed flock together. The B&E guys have their own group etc. they discuss how they got caught and become more careful next time out. He saw the same faces come back more than once. To them incarceration was an occupational risk and preferable to working a regular job. If jail meant hard work for poor pay, some may rethink their career paths.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Oh, boo freekin hoo, THEY DESERVE WHAT THEY GET!!!!! And in my opinion deserve far worse!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 AM

How about some of the minimum security palaces?? Like condos with hot tubs and pools in the back yards, and access to horses and golf courses. Of course those places are reserved for the once wealthy criminals.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM

These are habitual criminals, not someone who made one little mistake - sorry Keg, I disagree. A close friend of mine, who is a member here, works in the prison system can support me on this. Hopefully he posts up something here.

You don't get jailed the first time you get caught for most of these minor to intermediate offences - that just isn't the way it works. They sentence you, maybe pay a fine, do a year or two on probation but don't end up in the clink the first time you do something unless it's a very serious offence.

The guy in jail is not a first time offender who got busted for having a joint on them, or drinking in driving the first time they were caught or stealing a pack of gum at the corner store.

To get thrown in jail you have to be stupid enough to keep on re-offending. I can't forgive people who are drinking and driving, and endangering my kids on the roads they drive, or clowns who keep stealing gum from the store causing all of the rest of us to pay more for our stuff, or lazy criminals who jump court dates, and can't (or won't) hold a job .... boo freakin hoo.

I agree they need to pay their way - AND SOME - so I say - Get your butt on a road crew, or do a real shift in a manufacturing facility making licence plates or road signs and pay for yourself, your own room and board, and maybe generate a bit of extra dough so you can repay the rest of us honest citizens.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Not sure what federal prisons you've visited or when but everyone I've been to or worked at is far from your describitions. Almost all inmates have their own TV's which they've paid for along with cable TV, most work if they don't they still get a daily allowance, they follow the Canada food guide strictly, but can buy just about anything from canteen, and they receive the best medical and dental care. Oh and have huge top of the line weight pits, hockey rinks, baseball, tennis,mini golf, etc
Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM

If the government houses criminals, the criminals should be maintaining, repairing, or building government properties, structures, or infrastructure.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
You mean like the camp rooms that many hard-working, contributing members of society stay in each day?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Back in the 60's I was a Correction Officer at the Nordegg Gaol (old Enlish but pronounced jail) and the inmates received .50 per working day. They cut brush in the ditches of the Forestry road during the summer and burned it during the winter. They cut fire wood for the camp sites in the area, picked pine cones following the timber crews. The pine cones were sent to Edmonton and made into seedlings, which were sent back to the Gaol for the inmates to plant in the burned out areas. They maintained brush control at the various camp grounds, they did any labour jobs required by the Forestry people. And, they fought forest fires in the area however, they received full fire pay for that job.

A crew was tasked to dismantle the houses in the Nordegg town site. The nails were removed from the boards and stacked according to size and the Gaol sold the lumber to the public with all monies going to the Receiver General of Alberta.
Today, guess all they do is take drugs, watch TV and play on the computer.
You must have worked their when Don Hyatt ran the place. You are right it certainly was a whole different World then!

Last edited by bbqcrazy; 02-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 PM

describitions? that's a new one. lol.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just to be clear. These people made the conscious decision to break the law and took that risk wholly and completely upon themselves.
So everyone in jail is guilty and premeditated their crime?

Someone hurts your wife or child, you beat the crap out of them, you end up in jail. Deserve to be there? Hope you rot in jail for that one, that's your way to look at it.

Firearms offence? How about Canada's mandatory minimum on owning restricted or prohibited firearms? Rot in jail?

Get into a bar fight, someone pulls a knife - you kill the person. You could end up in jail - deserve to rot there?

Jobs? Put them out in public to work, cripes, you'll be whining that they are taking jobs then.

Keg is right, do some research. It takes alot of money to run a prison, the money isn't going into prisoners pockets.

People like Garland deserve the death penalty. I have no feelings whatsoever for people like that, they can rot for all I care.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Lets also remember that these "people" made their own choices that got hem placed where they are they were not randomly picked off the street and thrown into a federal facility. The only time they are locked down 23hrs a day is if they are in a maximum security prison or have done something against the rules in a medium and have been placed in segregation and although I definitely would not wish to spend any time in a federal pen as an inmate, they are far from being a living hell. The only prisoners making$1 a day are the ones who do not wish to work or take programming or schooling which is provided. They get free meals three times daily and have access to an inmate canteen where they can buy extras and treats. They are also provided hygiene products(toothbrush, toothpaste,shampoo,combs, razors and deodorant at no cost to them).Yes, the odd one made a one time screw up and will learn his/her lesson, but on the average by the time they reach the federal level(sentence of 2yrs+) they are generally fully ingrained in the criminal lifestyle and will spend the most of their lives in and out of prison or dead. The cells are not much different in size than your average nursing home room which families have to pay for out of pocket usually. So sympathy is not one of the emotions that comes to mind.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
How about some of the minimum security palaces?? Like condos with hot tubs and pools in the back yards, and access to horses and golf courses. Of course those places are reserved for the once wealthy criminals.
White collar criminals have always gone to camp fed.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM

What does this 300$ a day cover? Food, prison staff salary, laundry, water, electricity? If all those things thats really nothing to complain about. Theres approximately 40 000 prisoners, at 300 a day thats $4.38 billion. So if that $4 billion is the entire budget for the entire prison system in canada, thats not bad. However if the 300$ only covers food, then there is a problem.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Gone Hunting

I can't decide if those claiming I am advocating sympathy for all prisoners just didn't read all of my post, or if they are deliberately ignoring part of what I said in order to start an argument.

Whatever, I'm not interested in playing that game.

I know I'm not a saint and self proclaimed saints make me uncomfortable.
I feel an overwhelming urge to hold on to my wallet when I'm in their presence.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Not sure what federal prisons you've visited or when but everyone I've been to or worked at is far from your describitions. Almost all inmates have their own TV's which they've paid for along with cable TV, most work if they don't they still get a daily allowance, they follow the Canada food guide strictly, but can buy just about anything from canteen, and they receive the best medical and dental care. Oh and have huge top of the line weight pits, hockey rinks, baseball, tennis,mini golf, etc
Where did I say I had ever visited a federal prison.

I'd like to know so I can delete that comment because it is not true.

I have visited a few provincial jails and I did not see a single TV in any of the cells there.

As I said before, I heard there were TV's in federal institutions but I have not seen it for myself.

But even if there is, there is a lot more to life then spending 24 hours a day watching TV.

If that's the best they have to look forward to, I'm not going to loose any sleep thinking about how great they have it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:

This is well written and accurate, most federal inmates have a TV which must meet certain standards such as a maximum size, no internet capability and no USB port. These are not easy to find. The inmates pay for the TV and the cable.

Canada's food guide is very loosely interpreted in some institutions. In one institution there was no fresh fruit for two years even though it is required. When a grievance is submitted it takes at least two years to be addressed and the usual result of a successful grievance is to be told to stop doing that. The institution has had two years of money savings.

We can say too bad they deserve it but we have to remember that almost all of these people will be back in society.What this demonstrates is that it is okay to take short cuts and act unethically as long as consequences are minimal.

The federal prison system is not a holiday camp. Educational opportunities are limited and must be financed by the inmate. You may be able to get a correspondence degree if you can afford it. Recreation opportunities are also limited. Top of the line weight systems are not available and the inmate welfare committee must pay for the equipment they have.

Health care is not top of the line. Dental treatment consists of extraction and no cleaning appointments are provided. Medical appointments are on a waiting list and treatment is minimal. If you get cancer, treatment is generally limited to hospice care.

As far as contraband in prison a small percentage comes from visitors and possibly fence tosses. The rest comes in from other sources.