Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 03:03 PM

Default Anyone have current pricing for concrete slab for a shop?

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm looking to build a 40x60 shop. I have got plenty of quotes on the building itself but I can't seem to get accurate pricing for concrete pad with in floor heat and styrofoam insulation underneath. I have googled and have seen some older posts from 2008. I'm just wondering what the current price per yard is and what the average guy charges per sqft for prep and pour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:23 PM

My slab worked out to about 13k or so by the time everything was said and done (40x60 5" thick 30mpa). My concrete guy placed the rebar and insulation ( used that that foil backed bubble insulation rather than styrofoam) and i placed 2000' of pex on the rebar. This is a simple floating slab in a pole framed building, no real beam/ ponywall as you would have in a stick framed building.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Is there anything you wish you would have done or done different now that it is done?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

Best I can suggest is to get multiple quotes for the exact specific job you want done with regards to thickness/insulation etc.After you get the lowest quote let them fight over who wants to get the job and just watch the price fall a bit more.A lot of contractors in Alberta still think the streets of Alberta are paved with gold right now.

I had to get my sidewalk replaced in 2011 and I went through this.One guy came in at $4500 for 30 feet of sidewalk.I ended up getting 4 quotes and also got into a bidding war to secure the job.The guy I went with started my sidewalk and a few neighbors asked me about it.He picked up 4 other sidewalk jobs on the same block and 2 others a block away.They spent 3 days doing demo work and cribbing and got all 7 poured and finished in 1 day.He was happy with what he quoted me and he was uber happy picking up 6 other nearly identical jobs.All of the concrete was delivered by the same cement truck it just had to move a bunch of times.

FTH
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM

A slab prep, place and finish is going to be about $8-$10/sf. Will be even more if you do a thickened edge. Pipe and Styro will be about a $1.50-$2/sf. Most guys charge about $1.30- $1.50 just to place and finish. If you have the means you can save a pile doing the prep work yourself... that's where they make a lot of their money.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM

I'd budget $25-$30 k on that. Be careful of the guys that seem too cheap. They likely will mess the job up.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Look at some of there work they have done and talk to the owners of such work.
A neighbor had his driveway redone a few years back. Every day when it rains or snow melts, they are out there pushing water down the driveway. Very poor sloping in the wrong directions. You can see the bad sloping from the street it's that bad.

Are you putting any drains inside ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Look at some of there work they have done and talk to the owners of such work.
A neighbor had his driveway redone a few years back. Every day when it rains or snow melts, they are out there pushing water down the driveway. Very poor sloping in the wrong directions. You can see the bad sloping from the street it's that bad.

Are you putting any drains inside ?
Yes I was thinking about doing a washed rock pit and cover it with grating. I did the same in my garage and it works great plus I won't be doing anything with a lot of water anyway. Probably just be snow melt and and the occasional drip dry.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonroy View Post
Yes I was thinking about doing a washed rock pit and cover it with grating. I did the same in my garage and it works great plus I won't be doing anything with a lot of water anyway. Probably just be snow melt and and the occasional drip dry.
If you are planning on in floor heat i'd honestly be more concerned about putting an exhaust fan or something in for dealing with extra humidity than drainage. Not saying that a drain is a bad thing to have, but my drain see's very little use as i don't really wash anything in the shop and any moisture that comes off my vehicles just evaporates.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Default 40 by 64

I placed a 40 by 64 by 16 ft walls. engineered steel shed in the Okanagan Valley and we used 64 cubic meters of concrete. It was the thickened edge design.
Insulated and lined inside with 28 guage. Outside is 26 guage ( nothing thinner )
Insulated roof. Six skylights. Those skylights are like someone turned on lights. Would not live without them.
Two large 14 ft high doors at right angle to each other but far away. Very efficient.
The concrete part is around 20 to 25 K all placed with rebar and all. Heavy rebar.
These sheds are not cheap.
Beware the snow load factor. Watch your safety factors and go beyond the county minimum.
I doubled up on my Purlins for good measure.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Ill be having a 44x64 pad poured later in the summer. Ill do all the prep work and slab heat/insulation. My guy charges around $7/sq ft finished including the cement price. So im expecting a 20g bill. Hes poured 2 pads for me and have been spectacular both times.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

We used Big Daddy concrete in Calgary. He certainly was not the cheapest quote we got but did what and when he promised and has a 2 year warranty, was willing to pay more for quality and assurance
Old 02-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonroy View Post
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm looking to build a 40x60 shop. I have got plenty of quotes on the building itself but I can't seem to get accurate pricing for concrete pad with in floor heat and styrofoam insulation underneath. I have googled and have seen some older posts from 2008. I'm just wondering what the current price per yard is and what the average guy charges per sqft for prep and pour. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Where are you located ? This is a key factor...

Old 02-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Where are you located ? This is a key factor...

I'm just outside of camrose.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 PM

Kens Concrete out of Camrose does good work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Most commercial outfits charge 50-60 cents per square foot for place and finish. A cubic meter of concrete covers about 90 sqf at 4" thickness. You can expect to pay 220-250 bucks per cube of 32 MPA low air mix. Prep is more, if you can do it yourself, you can save a bundle. It's buyers market now, grind them down...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Budget about $1,000 per cubic meter of 30mpa concrete. Price includes formwork, rebar, concrete place and finish.