Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Ducks unlimited land

This will be my first time duck hunting this year, been training the pup for quite awhile now for retrieving and hopefully she'll be ready in time. My question is how many of you have hunted on ducks unlimited land and is it really busy when the bird season starts? How good of a chance would I have to not be in other hunters way?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:25 PM

I think that would depend which DU land you have in mind. I used to shoot at Frank Lake and even at the busiest time if you were willing to walk a bit you could stay away from the firing line.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 PM

And on top of that if you put yourself in the right spot other hunters shooting will bounce birds back and forth to you.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Any time I would go, oddly enough there was no one there. The walk is one km from the parking since the locals complained and now there is a minimum distance you need to be away from the buildings.

Ps, how would you find the DU land? I happened upon a few by mistake looking at county maps and driving around. Wish there was a website with all the places...
Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM

I hunt on DU land all the time and hardly see anyone out there and this is around the Calgary area too
Old 02-17-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfishngame View Post
This will be my first time duck hunting this year, been training the pup for quite awhile now for retrieving and hopefully she'll be ready in time. My question is how many of you have hunted on ducks unlimited land and is it really busy when the bird season starts? How good of a chance would I have to not be in other hunters way?
Head to Brooks.
Find water. Shoot birds.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM

there's DU in a joint venture with other partners south on 887. I think they have up to 8 quarters there. no ducks to speak of, except in early spring, but point being it is not very busy during each particular hunting season. Walk in only.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

DU land can be hit or miss depending where you are. I drive upwards of 2 and a half hours to hunt on some DU land. I also have worked towards private land, and have a few places. Ground work, and google is your best friend in the search for property in your area.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Any time I would go, oddly enough there was no one there. The walk is one km from the parking since the locals complained and now there is a minimum distance you need to be away from the buildings.

Ps, how would you find the DU land? I happened upon a few by mistake looking at county maps and driving around. Wish there was a website with all the places...
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/

Here you go. The further you walk in the better off you usually are as far as competition from other hunter goes. If they are pushing birds between sloughs find a hill in between and pass shoot. Do that even if nobody is hunting those sloughs when birds are moving and you will do well. There is an iPhone app as well that is helpful.

Start your scouting now finding areas and getting to know them while the sloughs are frozen and you can cruise through cat tails to check out points, islands and generally get a feel for an area.

Don't shoot the roost but enjoy hunting small bodies of water where birds move in and out. Good areas have multiple small sloughs on the same property. Find the property using the guide. They will tell you if waterfowl are present. Check out the property on google earth. Then go for a walk.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/

Here you go. The further you walk in the better off you usually are as far as competition from other hunter goes. If they are pushing birds between sloughs find a hill in between and pass shoot. Do that even if nobody is hunting those sloughs when birds are moving and you will do well. There is an iPhone app as well that is helpful.

Start your scouting now finding areas and getting to know them while the sloughs are frozen and you can cruise through cat tails to check out points, islands and generally get a feel for an area.

Don't shoot the roost but enjoy hunting small bodies of water where birds move in and out. Good areas have multiple small sloughs on the same property. Find the property using the guide. They will tell you if waterfowl are present. Check out the property on google earth. Then go for a walk.

Good luck.
I checked that website and it seems to not be up to date with many DU land sites. There are many by Buffalo Lake and Chip Lake but don't show up here. I wish they spent as much time on Canada as they do on the USA.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I checked that website and it seems to not be up to date with many DU land sites. There are many by Buffalo Lake and Chip Lake but don't show up here. I wish they spent as much time on Canada as they do on the USA.
Try the iPhone app. I've found it to have good info.

I agree with the public opportunities in the US. The Dakotas, and Kansas had great public opportunities when I hunted there.