Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Smile Shooting sticks?

I need a mobile rest suitable for shooting a 243 off of my back porch. The rifle is a .243 and the targets are coyotes. I won't have to carry it.

What is the best solution to my problem? By the time I get out to the porch, the range is 350 to 450 meters.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I need a mobile rest suitable for shooting a 243 off of my back porch. The rifle is a .243 and the targets are coyotes. I won't have to carry it.

What is the best solution to my problem? By the time I get out to the porch, the range is 350 to 450 meters.
Maybe try shootin from your recliner in your living room,,

Might turn into an industry like DuckDynasty,,,,
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM

3 legged bog pod or 3 leg trigger stick? I have a 3 leg bog pod and like it.......but that's a lot of distance you're talking. Can't use a front and rear bag on a picnic table or something similar?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM

Default plywood shooting platform in corner of deck

I nail a partial sheet of 1/2 inch plywood each winter in corner of my deck to make a shooting platform.
Bipod rests on front and my elbows on rear portion make a solid steady rest.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/61470/...-trigger-stick
Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 PM

Smile Thanks guys

I'm going to give Birds's solution a try, his location is similar to mine.

If I could figure out how to shoot from inside the house, I'd consider it. I had a friend in Rocky View who, with his wife's help (she held the light) shot at yotes trying to climb into his Ostrich pen.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Those are pretty good distances aside from my set up I freeze meatsickles all winter and place them at a measured 200 yards from my deck, the near fenceline is 250 and slough to west of that is 350 and I wont try anything longer as I just educate the few that remain if taking a flyer or a hope shot. Lately I only get 3-6 shots a winter with this set up so every shot counts. I am leaning on the railing with the platform but if I could build a seated platform it would be like bench rest shooting. have 2 neighbors now shooting them as well so things will be very slow. think all I am getting is the current young of the year and adult breeding pair stays well away or perhaps comes in at night only.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM

My Favourite is the folding table and bags. Very steady. Shoot gophers out to 600 yards. Haven't used the Caldwell rest but have used similar rigs and found them quite good too.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My Favourite is the folding table and bags. Very steady. Shoot gophers out to 600 yards. Haven't used the Caldwell rest but have used similar rigs and found them quite good too.

Is that scope seriously longer than the barrel? Wtf? Like two feet of scope? Ah the good old days. If possible, I would say attach a bipod to your coyote rifle, and get prone on your deck if you can. 450 off shooting sticks on a coyote after running outside scrambling to get the shot is a heck of a task. Prone would be only slightly more stable I suppose but if possible that's what I would try for. I find it pretty hard to see the dog, get the gun out of the safe and load it and get outside, unless they're digging for mice in the field
Old 02-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
3 legged bog pod or 3 leg trigger stick? I have a 3 leg bog pod and like it.......but that's a lot of distance you're talking. Can't use a front and rear bag on a picnic table or something similar?

Bog Pod with accessory shooting rest. Works great !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bog Pod 001 (800x600).jpg (133.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 PM

A tall Harris bipod might work. An alternative solution is to first set up on the porch, and then call the coyotes in, instead of trying to get set up after you see them.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 PM

This may sound crazy, but you can fill a ziplock bag with sand suitable to your liking, take a old pair of jeans and sow the sand bag into a wrapped denim sandbag, this can fit in your glove compartment, coat pocket, range bag, and many other places, and it's made cheap quick and easy!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:27 AM

I use the Caldwell Tackdiver "H" shaped shooting bag for load development/sighting-in off of table/target shooting prone etc.It would work great off of a porch handrail IMHO....leave it at the black door and grab it quick.
I just used it today matter of fact,zeroing a new scope for a buddy @100m with the bag set up on front rack of my quad .....then afterwards I was shooting prone with my 5.56 and ringing 9x9 plate @300m .....hmmmmm,coyote vitals are about 9x9....coincidence,I think not,lol

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/29128/...-shooting-rest

Last edited by West O'5; 02-15-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
Is that scope seriously longer than the barrel? Wtf? Like two feet of scope? Ah the good old days. If possible, I would say attach a bipod to your coyote rifle, and get prone on your deck if you can. 450 off shooting sticks on a coyote after running outside scrambling to get the shot is a heck of a task. Prone would be only slightly more stable I suppose but if possible that's what I would try for. I find it pretty hard to see the dog, get the gun out of the safe and load it and get outside, unless they're digging for mice in the field
In ts day that was state of the art optics. It is a Unertl 10x scope with adjustable parallax and focus. It is mounted on a Rolling block in 22 Hornet. Makes a great gopher rig out to 250 yards!.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Another suggestion is to look up Varmint Al.
Or go here http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm maybe these will work for you or maybe not.
But, they might for someone else and easy to make too.
Tight Groups,
Rob
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM

I bought a caldwell steady rest nxt from wholesale sports for $60. It's lightweight, but it really helped to zero my rifle in. If you have a table that it could sit on it works nicely.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...XT%3F/p/242551