Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Check out Liard River Hotsprings on your way through. It's a great spot to stop and stretch your legs
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys. Can anyone recommend a good cold weather sleeping bag? For the most part weight, and bulk are unimportant. I'm a bit cost conscious and don't want to spend a pile of money. Should I check out a mil-surp store?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:34 AM

In the last 6 months I've bought several bags because mine got "lost" during last years hunt. One thing to pay attention to is the size. A lot of them won't fit me comfortably. I'm 6' 2" at 255#. The problem is around the shoulders and trying to reach around in them to get the bag zipped up.

I think the best bag on the market is Cabela's Instinct Alaska -40F rectangle sleeping bag that's good for -40F, I bought one a couple of months ago, it's sized very generously. They don't sell it in a long or tall, but a 6' 8" person can fit in the one size. It's their stock #IK-582460.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...bg%26CQ_st%3Db

I also bought another North Face Goliath bag. These are synthetic if you don't like down. It's good for 0F. Nicely sized also. These aren't made anymore, but I picked up two of them off of EBay for $100 ea.

Also went the surplus military bags from EBay. Bought two of the ones that have the outer bag, inner bag, the gortex bivvey bag and the stuff sack. These look to be good bags, but watch who you're buying them off of. Some sellers offer decent pricing and then really stick it to you on the shipping.

If you get another bag and you want to make it better, go to the surplus military people again and buy just the inside bag liner. They'll probably add 20 degrees to what ever bag you put them in.

What I stayed away from is the Big Agnes bags after reading on them. They have tremendous loft insulation in the top, but very little insulation in the bottom. You're supposed to use a couple of the Thermorest type pads under them.

You should always used a Thermorest style pad, but do it on a bag that's got good bottom insulation also.

Bill

Last edited by trackrig; 02-21-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Thanks Trackrig. Looking at a couple at Cabelas and Amazon.

It seems that North49 and World Famous are the same sleeping bag. The other stuff that World Famous makes is pretty cheap, so it gives me pause. Anyone have experience with the bags?

What about Teton Sports? Any good?

Pureblood!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM

Tactical,

I forgot, I do have two of the Teton -25F bags - these are what we bought when we were in a hurry from loosing the other bags. Weather was only down to freezing and we had no problems staying warm in them. Having said that, I don't think I'd want to try them down to -25F which would have been about 55 degrees colder. These are large bags - good for taking with you in your truck, but don't ever plan on packing them further than 100'.

I didn't mind buying them as they are very large rectangular bags which make them nice for putting a mummy bag inside of them - this makes for a warm combination. You still need to have a good pad under them.

As a note, their literature says you can zip two of these together, which is only sort of true. You can zip them together, but then the zippers don't un-zip on the sides meaning you have to shimmy down into them from the top.

Bill
Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Good luck on your trip, I lived in Inuvik in early 70's and again in the 80's , I drove there and back a few times, flew there and back a few times, and just a coupla years ago I put a pontoon boat in the water at Hay River then drove the 1000 or so miles on the Mckenzie River all the way to Inuvik! So all I have to offer you is I have found out that no matter which way you take in getting there, it will be worth your time, even in the vast emptiness there is beauty!
I have plenty of experience in ice road travel as that's just what we did up there, a lot!
You will never forget this trip,and you will talk about it for a lifetime... Good for you! Enjoy.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
The ice is built up too thick on the "road" portion, but any idea on how thick it is along the edges?

Kind of leads up to another one of my dumb questions. Does the whole Mackenzie freeze where it isn't road? Looking on the map I can get on the Mackenzie lower down to get to a few towns, and then the ice road ends. Would the section in the middle be possible to travel on with a decent 4x4?

Would be kind of cool if I could get across the middle part to the rest of the road.
Worked in the Delta from 200-2005. Lived in Whorse since 2000. You cross at Arctic Red and Ft mcP. Iceroad to tuk starts at Inuvik. No not possible in between. the river is all froze over.

In Ft McP check out the tent and canvas shop. great duffle bags. Bring some food as you may get stormed in. Stop in Dawson City for the sourtoe on the way by. Not much to see at Eagle Plains. Should be lots of cariboo around though although only the girls may still have horns. Check out Albert Johnsons grave in Aklavik. Liard Hot Springs. Takhini Hot Springs. In tuk the Northern Store is fun stop. Dip your toe in the arctic ocean. Charter a small plane in Inuvik for a ride out over the tundra.

PM Me and I can take you around Whitehorse and show you the sights.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Worked in the Delta from 200-2005. Lived in Whorse since 2000. You cross at Arctic Red and Ft mcP. Iceroad to tuk starts at Inuvik. No not possible in between. the river is all froze over.

In Ft McP check out the tent and canvas shop. great duffle bags. Bring some food as you may get stormed in. Stop in Dawson City for the sourtoe on the way by. Not much to see at Eagle Plains. Should be lots of cariboo around though although only the girls may still have horns. Check out Albert Johnsons grave in Aklavik. Liard Hot Springs. Takhini Hot Springs. In tuk the Northern Store is fun stop. Dip your toe in the arctic ocean. Charter a small plane in Inuvik for a ride out over the tundra.

Cool, cool! Thanks for the offer.

You mentioned dipping a toe in the Arctic; is there open water anywhere?

Pureblood!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:46 PM

Used to be guys pulling nets in the bay in Tuk usually
Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Any other opinions on sleeping bags?

Heard from one source that some don't stand up to washing too well. Maybe some faulty information? Seems a little odd.

I will have to wash it once in a while. Probably get a liner to extend the periods in between launderings.

Pureblood!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Sleeping bag for the real North? ...........there's only one, a Woods 5 Star, down, big and bulky, and does the job, .......it's gotten me through minus 60 in tents and igloos. Do see them come up here now and then in EE.
And don't forget the sheet of florescent orange or red in case of a blizzard.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Sleeping bag for the real North? ...........there's only one, a Woods 5 Star, down, big and bulky, and does the job, .......it's gotten me through minus 60 in tents and igloos. Do see them come up here now and then in EE.
Thanks. That's filled with down you say?

Maybe a little more sleeping bag than I will need for this trip?

Pureblood!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Any suggestions for tire chains? You guys order off Amazon, or are they kind of chintzy?

It would run me about $300 to get a set of Nordic (IIRC) V-bars for 35's here. Does that sound reasonable, or a bit expensive?

Pureblood!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Got 2 sets of v-bar chains made up, and went with the Canadian military surplus sleeping bag system.

Any recommendations for a portable commode? I need something that "travels" nice, and is easy to care for. I'm going to be a long ways from the facilities...

Pureblood!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Got 2 sets of v-bar chains made up, and went with the Canadian military surplus sleeping bag system.

Any recommendations for a portable commode? I need something that "travels" nice, and is easy to care for. I'm going to be a long ways from the facilities...
Perhaps the ole bumper dumper?

Squatting will save you a few bucks too
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/Reliance-Produ.../dp/B000FIAPXO

Line iwith a garbage bag, makes for easy disposal and you can use it in the back seat where it is warm. Transport it in the box where it doesn't smell.

If you are of the hardier variety this will work: but when it is twenty below and the wind is whistling you don't want to be one of those slow dump kind of guys.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 PM

Well, not doing a good job of documenting trip so far. In Whitehorse now, just looking for a good place to eat and stay.

I'm a bit late to go to the hot springs tonight, but will be checking it out tomorrow, as well as a museum or two.

Went to Liard and ended up camping there so I could go check it out again the next morning. Stayed with a friend in Ft. St. John and a couple hotels along the way, so Liard was my only real "roughing it" camp. I packed so much stuff, that it made it a pain to camp. It was fairly warm though, so I didn't even bother using a sleeping bag. Just laid on one moving blanket, and covered up with another. Ran the inverter and the spare heater to try it out and burn the old fuel. Will park the inverter a little farther away, and use the other heater, as it has lower Wattage settings, and will be less disturbing when the thermostat kicks in.

Pureblood!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Woods 5 Star- the standard to which all others are measured!
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post

Any suggestions on a good place to grab a meal?

Any attractions or hotel recommendations for the night?

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Lots of beautiful scenery out here and great sights. In Dawson now. Should be on the road, but the highway past Eagle Plains is closed. I understand that they gate it now.

Friendly town, and very scenic. Scheming on moving the wife down here.... Lots of worse places to be stuck.

Crossed the river to check out the "subdivisions" on the other side, and took a drive up the highway yesterday. It was sunny and nice out. Unbelievable views, and road. Only one side was half plowed. Took over half an hour of throttle down driving to hit the peaks. Gained elevation like crazy, going through clouds, and climbing the whole time. Felt like I should be skiing down once I hit the top. Was like flying a plane, with the view and ride. I think I was at the top, and the only one on the road was a Snow Cat plow. Was going to keep going for a way, but he didn't have the ground pressure to clean the road down to the pavement, on the other side. At least not on one pass.

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Out past Fort Nelson. Letting my mind wander and looking at scenery, when I came across a guy riding his bike down. Road was pretty crappy for that unless he hugged the middle. Felt a little guilty driving past, as he looked like he needed a ride. He was walking his bike. Would have been tough fitting him and the bike someplace.

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Out at Liard.

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Abandoned military air strip I believe. Past Liard and about 60 km down a forest service road.

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:13 PM

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM

Pics of the daily driver too Liking the photos so far. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Pureblood!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Very cool! See any of Tony Beets barges?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Very cool! See any of Tony Beets barges?
I don't think so? Refresh my memory. Where would I see those?

Pureblood!