Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Clamp on Muzzle brakes???

Hey guys, came across this on the web. Witt manufacturing. They have these clamp on brakes. They look very interesting. Does anybody have any comments or experience on these.
I thought it was an interesting concept.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Banned

Don't have one but I was told kahntrol is a good one.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=Kahntrol

Previous post on clamp ons.

Default Kahntrol Clamp on Muzzle Brake Review
After looking at a number of Clamp on brakes I decided to order the Kahntrol brake. Even with exchange and postage it was cheaper than buying the Canadian equivalent. It was however quite a bit more money than the Witt Machine brake.

Kantrol KSMB645 for muzzle diameter of .640-.675 $149.95 U.S.
Witt Machine Exact fit to the barrel measurement $89.00 U.S.
Grizzly Exact fit to barrel measurement $235.00 Canadain

One of the big reasons I chose the Kahntrol was it was the only one that was able to fit on a fairly wide range of barrel sizes, in this case from .640 - .675. It means I can use it on more than one gun. All of the other brakes were cut for the exact muzzle diameter of the specific gun barrel, accurate to .003. This makes fitting them to any other guns unlikely.

Kahntrol accommodates the wider range of barrel sizes by having 6 vertical tightening screws along a horizontal split. Very similar to a set of scope rings but over a much longer opening.

The brake was very easy to mount on my Left Hand 26” all Stainless Remington 700 in 7 RUM. I followed the on-line instructions and had the brake mounted, levelled and timed in about 20 minutes. I could have done it faster but I was quadruple checking everything and being very careful to ensure everything lined up perfectly so there would be no chance of baffle strikes when fired. The one thing I did different than the instructions was torque it down to 50 inch pounds rather than the 30 recommended.

This 7 RUM is my all time least favorite rifle to shoot out of the box. It didn't really recoil in the traditional sense, it was more appropriately described as a REALLY SHARP punch that even with lots of padding would give you a headache after 10 or 15 rounds. Not really surprising when you figure you are burning 95 grains of powder behind a 162 grain bullet in a gun the weighs 8.5 lbs with scope. It was far more unpleasant to shoot than my 375 or even my 460. (To be fair both of those are quite are bit heavier and the 460 has a brake on it). In fact I have never shot any other gun that was as nasty to shoot or kicked as sharply as this 7 RUM out of the box.

After installing a Mercury suppressor in the stock and a Pachmeyer decelerator pad it was comfortable to shoot but still had a very brisk recoil and quite a bit of muzzle jump. I figured this made it the perfect candidate to try the Kahntrol Brake on.

In addition to the brake, I had also mounted a new Leupold 4.5x14 B&C reticle scope for an upcoming antelope trip so the gun needed to be sighted in as well. With everything mounted and two loads that I know shot well in the RUM, 162 BTSP with 84 grains of 7828 SSC in Rem brass with Winchester mag primers at 3.60 LOA, and the same with 94.5 Grains of Retumbo, I headed to the range. (Both of these loads are pushing the 162 grain Hornady bullet north of 3300 fps) It took two shots to get the gun hitting 3” high, dead on the line at 100 yards.

With the bake on there was no difference in group size or shape at 100 or 300 yards. Both loads shot just as good as before, making 3 shot clover leafs at 100 and under 1” at 300. There was however a VERY noticeable reduction in recoil and muzzle jump. The gun felt like something between a 223 and a 243. I checked the brake after the first shot and every two or three thereafter and there was no indication of baffle strikes, as it should be. There was however carbon buildup on the barrel and brake as the number of shots increased. I checked the bolts after 20 rounds and found no decrease in torque.

I was wearing muffs and plugs, as I always do at the range and I did not notice any increase in perceived noise from the brake. I was alone so I did not have anyone to validate whether it was louder to the sides but I would be willing to bet that like all brakes it is. Also, with the amount of recoil reduction it must be pushing a pile of gas to the sides so anyone shooting beside you will definitely feel the blast, though from previous experience this gun makes a hell of a muzzle blast off to the sides even without a brake.

After 30 rounds of very slow fire I felt no soreness in my shoulder nor any other ill effects of shooting, and all I was wearing was a T shirt. I then removed the brake and fired a two shoot group. It hit exactly 1.5” left but on precisely the same elevation, exactly 3” high, as when the brake was on. I adjusted the scope and fired a three shoot clover leaf group that is exactly 3” high, dead on the line at 100 yards. There was a very noticeable increase in recoil without the brake and no perceivable reduction or difference in muzzle blast or noise.

The brake is very well made and fits to the gun well. I would never use a brake on a hunting rifle but this is a great tool for working up loads on guns that tend to beat you up. I could see absolutely no differences in the groups but this is only one gun. I will be interested to try it on a couple of other rifles to see if the results are the same. If they are I will probably order a couple more to cover other barrel sizes.

It is completely effective in reducing recoil and making heavy or medium hitting guns into pleasant to shoot rifles. For range shooting it is the cats pyjamas and because it is so easy to mount and remove it is perfect for use on guns that are primarily hunting rifles as well. The POI shift is easy to adjust for when you remove the brake.

A number of folks asked me to post this after I got the brake and tried it. I hope the info is useful to others thinking about putting brakes on their rifles.
Last edited by Dean2; 09-01-2015 at 10:30 PM.
ected text
Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM

Fantastic write up/review Dean.
I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share it with the rest of us.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Would it leave much for marks on the barrel after removing?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:18 PM

No marks that I can see on mine.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 AM

Another question to the experts please. As it is made of aluminium would it not have a short life span? I know aluminium has it's place but just wondering on this?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 AM

Great write up Dean,following with interest.
Been shooting/hunting for almost 4 decades and am just now about buy my first ever magnum,leaning heavily towards Sako 85 in .300WSM.
I've also never owned a rifle with a MB,and "was" planning to have it threaded for a "proper" MB and thread protector for hunting if I find the blast and noise of a MB uncomfortable without hearing protection,although I'm guessing it's likely quite manageable for 1 or 3 shots/year combined with the adrenaline of shooting at game wherein I can't recall ever noticing any recoil vs target shooting where it's more noticeable.
Curious if these clamp-on style brakes are recommended or ill-advised for use with multi caliber so long as the muzzle OD is proper fit?
ie;I have rifles in .223,.243,.25-06,.308,30-06 x2 etc....
Obviously would be looking at a .30 cal clamp-on,just wondering if the same brake would be effective at reducing recoil and jump on the smaller bores,and/or be detrimental to accuracy?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Been shooting/hunting for almost 4 decades and am just now about buy my first ever magnum,leaning heavily towards Sako 85 in .300WSM.
I've also never owned a rifle with a MB,and "was" planning to have it threaded for a "proper" MB and thread protector for hunting if I find the blast and noise of a MB uncomfortable without hearing protection,although I'm guessing it's likely quite manageable for 1 or 3 shots/year combined with the adrenaline of shooting at game wherein I can't recall ever noticing any recoil vs target shooting where it's more noticeable.
Curious if these clamp-on style brakes are recommended or ill-advised for use with multi caliber so long as the muzzle OD is proper fit?
Obviously would be looking at a .30 cal clamp-on,just wondering if the same brake would be effective at reducing recoil and jump on the smaller bores,and/or be detrimental to accuracy?
I very highly recommend you not shoot it even once without hearing protection. The blast is like getting hit on the side of the head with a resounding thud. I made the mistake twice and will never do it again. Am thinking about the clamp on but would only use it at the range with double ear protection and I'm about 99% sure I would take it off while hunting. In fact I sold my 1st 300 wsm because of the brake. Not saying don't get one.

You do what you want as far as a sako but my buddy just bought a new sako 300wsm and can't for the life of him get it to shoot well. I was going to get one as well but have now changed my mind. For the price it should not be that hard. Good luck whatever you do!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Banned

I have installed and used brakes from Jeff @ Grizzly Gunworks in Ontario.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
DO NOT shoot even one round out of a braked rifle without hearing protection. A gentleman that Cat and I know suffered significant damage to his hearing from a single shot out of a braked 300mag. He was hunting, and was not in a building or under a roof.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
You do what you want as far as a sako but my buddy just bought a new sako 300wsm and can't for the life of him get it to shoot well. I was going to get one as well but have now changed my mind. For the price it should not be that hard. Good luck whatever you do!!!!!!
Hmmmmmm......I've heard/read nothing but good about Sako,sub-moa guaranteed from factory and all...maybe he got a rare lemon??
Actually I "was" really close to pulling the trigger on a new Fierce CT Edge with 0.5MOA factory guaranteed,but the more research I did,the more convinced I became that I'd be paying a high premium for not much more then an overpriced Sako?
I haven't totally dismissed the Fierce as of yet,just having a hard time justifying twice the price point of a Sako,and have reservations over the inherent accuracy traits of a 5.8lb naked magnum?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Hmmmmmm......I've heard/read nothing but good about Sako,sub-moa guaranteed from factory and all...maybe he got a rare lemon??
Actually I "was" really close to pulling the trigger on a new Fierce CT Edge with 0.5MOA factory guaranteed,but the more research I did,the more convinced I became that I'd be paying a high premium for not much more then an overpriced Sako?
I haven't totally dismissed the Fierce as of yet,just having a hard time justifying twice the price point of a Sako,and have reservations over the inherent accuracy traits of a 5.8lb naked magnum?
Had a friend do my testing of my Sako A7 7mm
It shoots 1/2" at a 100 yards with factory ammo. This old body might need a brake on it. Thanks to all in the thread.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:

As others have said NEVER shoot a braked rifle without ear protection, not even once. As far as shooting multiple calibres, the clamp on brake I got will accommodate 224 to 338. They make another version for 338 to 50 Calibre.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
As others have said NEVER shoot a braked rifle without ear protection, not even once. As far as shooting multiple calibres, the clamp on brake I got will accommodate 224 to 338. They make another version for 338 to 50 Calibre.
Ok,well seems like sound advice(no pun intended) and the popular consensus.I didn't realize that brakes were "that much" more offensively loud,as again,I've never owned nor even shot a braked rifle,although I've had my ears rung by partners in a tight quarters duck blind on more than one occasion.
I've already suffered enough hearing loss from a youth full of heavy metal concerts,Walkmans,and outrageously loud car stereos,combined with 4 decades of mostly unprotected shooting/hunting.
Truth be told,it's only in recent few years that I've ever worn muffs or plugs while shooting.
I guess if decide to get new(or any) rifle fitted with either a clamp or threaded brake and thread protector,it will be for range use only.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
DO NOT shoot even one round out of a braked rifle without hearing protection. A gentleman that Cat and I know suffered significant damage to his hearing from a single shot out of a braked 300mag. He was hunting, and was not in a building or under a roof.
Some learn from reading,some from watching some gotta P on the electric fence and learn for themselves.

Bought a new muzzle brake for Rob XCR 5.56 this week.
Field test today,ran a few mags thru it,liking it so far.
Tried it without muffs to see how loud it is,as I don't wear muffs when coyote hunting.
OMG.... NEVER AGAIN!!
That hurt like hello!!
I can just imagine a .300WSM!!
Never again......
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Some learn from reading,some from watching some gotta P on the electric fence and learn for themselves.

Bought a new muzzle brake for Rob XCR 5.56 this week.
Field test today,ran a few mags thru it,liking it so far.
Tried it without muffs to see how loud it is,as I don't wear muffs when coyote hunting.
OMG.... NEVER AGAIN!!
That hurt like hello!!
I can just imagine a .300WSM!!
Never again......
Now you know.
It was a 300winmag that the gentleman was shooting.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Now you know.
It was a 300winmag that the gentleman was shooting.
One shot with 5.56 was enough convincing for me,I will NEVER use a braked rifle hunting.
That was 16hrs ago and my ear is still aching.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
One shot with 5.56 was enough convincing for me,I will NEVER use a braked rifle hunting.
That was 16hrs ago and my ear is still aching.
If your ear is still aching, the only question remaining, is how much your hearing was damaged as a result.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
If your ear is still aching, the only question remaining, is how much your hearing was damaged as a result.
Feels better now nearly 24hrs later but at 4am this morn it was uncomfortable.
The blast and concussion in my left ear(I'm a righty) was substantial and really rang my bell.Definately not a stunt I would ever try again,and if ever buy another brake for any other rifle I will definitely also have a thread protector for hunting.As it is,I'll be swapping original flash hider back onto the XCR for hunting,night and day difference.....probly gonna source out a thread protector as well to further reduce noise as I don't expect to engage in any firefights with any coyote packs.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Feels better now nearly 24hrs later but at 4am this morn it was uncomfortable.
The blast and concussion in my left ear(I'm a righty) was substantial and really rang my bell.Definately not a stunt I would ever try again,and if ever buy another brake for any other rifle I will definitely also have a thread protector for hunting.As it is,I'll be swapping original flash hider back onto the XCR for hunting,night and day difference.....probly gonna source out a thread protector as well to further reduce noise as I don't expect to engage in any firefights with any coyote packs.
If your ears rang for much more than a few minutes, you've now got irreversible hearing damage. Welcome to the "pardon me" club.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If your ears rang for much more than a few minutes, you've now got irreversible hearing damage. Welcome to the "pardon me" club.
I'm pretty sure I earned my membership into that club long ago thru rock concerts,Walkmans,car stereos,brewery worker,and 35+ years of unprotected hunting/shooting.I never ever wore muffs nor plugs to shoot until 2-3yrs ago?
Mind you,never been a really high volume shooter,more of a hunter really,but guessing 1000rds/year avg. for near 4 decades?