Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I have attended 4 or 5 May sales, and each time spent a great deal of time looking thru the samples to see where many types of coyotes are placed in the grades, particularly the damage grades.

According to what I saw on the last trip, the Damaged 1,2,3 grades were comprised of screwed up coyotes mainly from lice/mite damage, burr damage, rubs and other such screwed up coyotes. The sew jobs were just about all in the Slight Damage grades. A lot of coyotes that end up in the damage grades have these types of damage and often it takes a trained eye to see it and is a whole other thing to understand it.
Thanks, Marty, that was my understanding as well. Did you notice if pelts with red belly (with or without hair loss) got down graded because of it?

I don't remember sending in anything with issues with the fur on the back but maybe I sent a few red bellies in.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
Here's one for you... if GD stands for GOOD .. and PR stands for POOR .. what is with a couple of my lots listed as GD,PR ??? What do you suppose that means.. GOOD,POOR??
That info doesn't show in my online NAFA account but does in the "Section - Quality" column on my "Consignor Account Sale - Detailed Report" that I get with my cheque. It describes the quality of the fur in greater detail and I think that it would be something like.....Guard hair - Good, Underfur - Poor......something like that. I've had GD, PR in the past.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
AO Sponsor

No, it wouldn't mean anything ridiculous like that, simply a mixed lot.

There would be many varying degrees of red belly stuff, kinda hard to generalize on your question. They aren't always as hard as they could be. Country buyers are usually waaaaayyy harder.

One neat rule of thumb... the more the trapper makes, the more the auction house makes. They are on our side and want us to score the home runs.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
One neat rule of thumb... the more the trapper makes, the more the auction house makes. They are on our side and want us to score the home runs.
I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theory about NAFA fixing the grades, I'm just curious about why two of my pelts graded DG3. Maybe the detailed report that I get with my cheque will explain it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Probably means a mixed lot, doesn't mean I like it tho. Same goes for colouring, always many super Alberta/Saskatchewan pale coyotes but again in this sale, most of them do not get graded GC and that always pains me. There's like 300-400 GC only?

Is it because there's only 18,000 coyotes and usually 1,000,000 ranch mink? I don't know. I do know what pays the bills there.

However, when all said and done... Nafa is the very best place to sell coyotes. The highest paying buyer in the world buys all his coyotes at Nafa, so ya kinda want ta have your stuff in front of him?
I agree Marty.. NAFA is the best place to sell coyotes i just wish (and it really shouldn't be that difficult) that they would stream line the grading system and make it clear #1. what exactly they are grading on and #2 they're system of symbols for grading so that everyone at a glance can tell exactly what they got.

The way it's set up now is SO confusing for the simple trapper at home trying to figure it out. It leads people to the feeling/assumption that all they really give a **** about is Ranch fur and wild fur is a side note.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That info doesn't show in my online NAFA account but does in the "Section - Quality" column on my "Consignor Account Sale - Detailed Report" that I get with my cheque. It describes the quality of the fur in greater detail and I think that it would be something like.....Guard hair - Good, Underfur - Poor......something like that. I've had GD, PR in the past.
Click on the PDF next to the coyotes in the auction catalog.. there you will see the quality column on the right hand side... again why is this part of the grade not included on the lotting letter??
Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
Click on the PDF next to the coyotes in the auction catalog.. there you will see the quality column on the right hand side... again why is this part of the grade not included on the lotting letter??
Not seeing it. In Lotting Letters I clicked on DOWNLOAD but the Quality-Section doesn't show. I don't see any PDF file in the auction page for coyotes except to translate to Chinese.

EDIT - Nevermind, I got it.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

The way it's set up now is SO confusing for the simple trapper at home trying to figure it out. It leads people to the feeling/assumption that all they really give a **** about is Ranch fur and wild fur is a side note.[/QUOTE]

Wild fur to nafa is a side note.
They know where the breads buttered
Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Though much of how fur is marketed may be confusing to us, there is generally purpose in all what is done. I believe thy are master marketers and that they often do things that are waaaaaay beyond our little small pictur minds. They do consider the big picture with every decision, even that super tough grading on the one sale last season.

Take the IIs for example... why not call the fur grades from 1-10 and skip all t h confusion? The theory is that the buyers are as confused as the sellers and this "moves" much fur, in particular the mid and lower grades. I think it works, but what do I really know, big picture?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 AM
Banned

I went against the grain last year with the hard grading and didn't experience it. That one auction I had 4 or 5 labelled pelts in that one out of about 50. I did very well on that auction. I think that with El Niņo I was in an area least effected by it. My theory only.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Any one know what time the coyote portion of the auction is set to start tomorrow ? Couldnt find it on the website .
Old 02-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Any one know what time the coyote portion of the auction is set to start tomorrow ? Couldnt find it on the website .
schedule shows 3pm. I'm assuming eastern time.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
I think the auction starts at 3 EST ... 1pm our time? But i dont think they are starting with Coyotes are they? I think there was some ranch fur first..
Old 02-08-2017, 01:54 PM

2017-02-05-NAFA-OOS-EN-new.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by camdec View Post