Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Default NAFA Wild Fur Market Update Jan. 27

http://www.nafa.ca/wild-fur-market-u...nuary-27-2017/

Wild Fur Market Update - January 27, 2017
January 27, 2017

Chinese New Year starts this weekend and now that all of us from NAFA’s Senior Management team have returned from visiting the different markets, I am pleased to say that we see the future with a more positive outlook. The additional promotional money that NAFA, together with the WFSC, has put into wild fur is exceptionally important and is paying off. There is definitely more interest in wild fur and this will have a very positive influence on the percentage of sale as well as prices. I am confident that our later selling date for most of our wild furs will enhance the prices as well as clearances.

The colder than usual winter in Europe and the early cold winter in North America has helped retailers with the sale of coyote for trim on down jackets. Coyotes will see prices increase over last year, especially for the Western better sections. Inventories are low due to weather conditions; the fresh catch is also below normal production. The only question will be on the commercial Eastern and flatter coyotes. Other trimming articles such as Red and Grey Fox will also benefit, as long as they are heavy enough to be used for this purpose.

The luxurious Can/Am Sables have done very well at the international retail level. Inventories of dressed skins have been sold and this article has performed very well in both garments and trimming. Again, we will see price increases over last year.

Lynx Cats have done very well in retail and will enjoy a good selling season. Better coloured bellies, good quality Western skins will do exceptionally well. All in all, this has become one of the most fashionable wild furs at the high end of the fur market, used both in garments and trim. Better quality Lynx, also with clear coloured bellies, will do much better than last year.

Demand for Muskrats from China is very solid. Now that the cheaper end of the Chinese and Russian mink has been sold, Muskrats will be the first to benefit. After last year’s dismal price levels, fresh production is very low and inventories in the hands of manufacturers and dealers are also very low. This will result in demand outstripping supply and once the trade recognizes this, the prices will increase significantly. Selling later will prove to be the right policy.

Although NAFA’s Raccoon promotions with the fashion houses and leading manufacturers is creating new interest, for NAFA to sell Raccoon at satisfactory levels we will need Russia to come back into the market. There is optimism in Russia where retailers had a much better season, enhanced by the low fur garment prices and improved consumer confidence. The Russian Ruble has strengthened and is now trading 15% higher than several months ago. An anticipated improved trade relationship with Russia is already having a positive effect on the mind-sets of the Russian fur trade.

We are expecting a very limited production of Beaver, which on its own will help prices. Demand from the hatter business has grown over the last couple of years. Beaver is still used to make fashionable men’s and women’s hats. However, due to the high cost of dressing and shearing, the price for better quality Beaver is still prohibitive as it cannot compete with other furs.

All reports from China are that the female Fisher has done very well in retail and the demand for the silky female Fisher will be excellent. Continued interest from other markets for the male Fisher which can be used for trimming, will greatly improve prices as well as clearances.

Renewed interest and demand for Otter from China will result in substantial price increases over last season’s disappointing levels. In many cases this article is plucked and sheared for use in jackets. Wild mink has shown signs of improvement but is still very much reliant on improved ranch mink prices before it will begin to climb to acceptable levels.

Once the international fur markets see for themselves the short supply of this year’s crop, it will further contribute to stronger prices and market confidence.

Herman Jansen

Managing Director

2017-01-27-Wild-Fur-Market-Update-PDF

For information about NAFA’s recent Fashion and outreach events, please visit the following links:

NAFA and WFSC Present: Wild Fur Promotional Highlights 2016
http://www.nafa.ca/nafa-wfsc-present...ghlights-2016/

Theme of “Yan Sheng” Showcases Developing Talents at the 13th Annual NAFA Cup
http://fashion.nafa.ca/theme-of-yan-...nual-nafa-cup/
Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for posting Jim. I knew the update was coming, but slipped my mind. Should be a stellar season for coyotes at Nafa! Should be fun! I might even have to go watch in May.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:16 PM

Can we speculate on a number price for coyotes and rats?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
Can we speculate on a number price for coyotes and rats?
IMO coyotes will do well, they seem to always. There are no muskrats listed for the February sale. They'll be in the May auction.

Thanks for posting the report.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 PM

What's do well..like over $100 for good ones
Old 01-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
What's do well..like over $100 for good ones
No one can tell you that, it depends on the quality of your fur and how you put it up. I expect the same as last year, no better and no worse (hoping for a little higher) IMO. If you trapped last year you could always look at what you got.
This is all speculation of course.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM

Coyotes this sale coming up will do well, keeping in mind the dollar exchange rate alone will give the prices a 25% or better boost. Judging by the interest the guys with heavy skins with good colour will be very,very happy.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:37 AM

I guess what I am getting at is that the whole auction is a joke. The way we sell our pelts is a joke too. Would you go to work with an expected pay? Oh well it's never going to change. I could write garbage like NAFTA does, they are guaranteed their money regardless..maybe not as high as they like but with projected better than last year promises their volume goes up and still make their money.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb View Post
Coyotes this sale coming up will do well, keeping in mind the dollar exchange rate alone will give the prices a 25% or better boost. Judging by the interest the guys with heavy skins with good colour will be very,very happy.
I agree. This is not even the big wild fur auction. The most buyers will be at the May sale. I'm optimistic.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I agree. This is not even the big wild fur auction. The most buyers will be at the May sale. I'm optimistic.
When you speak of"this auction" I'm guessing you mean Feb? I've always done best at the first auction of the year .
Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM

I like the 2nd auction myself but first one is good too. May gets to be way too late and I have seen some real bad prices later on after the winter sales
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
When you speak of"this auction" I'm guessing you mean Feb? I've always done best at the first auction of the year .
Yes, February 9th. In previous years the first auction was always the big one for wild fur with the most buyers in attendance. That changed and last year and this year the auction with the most buyers was/is the second auction. My theory is that more buyers bidding against each other = better prices. It's all speculation but that's the way that I see it.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yes, February 9th. In previous years the first auction was always the big one for wild fur with the most buyers in attendance. That changed and last year and this year the auction with the most buyers was/is the second auction. My theory is that more buyers bidding against each other = better prices. It's all speculation but that's the way that I see it.
Yes it will be interesting Dave , time will tell .