Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Exclamation Interim Trapline Relinquishment Update *Important*

I have recently corresponded with both the ATA Pres and the ATA Vice Pres and I would like to pass the info on in order to quash any rumours and to help keep Alberta Trappers informed.

The current agreement is an interim one that was hastily developed in order to deal with a backlog of RFMA transfers. Something needed to be put in place in order to be able to continue the RFMA transfer process. It is subject to change and I have been assured that the final agreement will be much different than it currently is. One of the issues being discussed is grandfathering current, experienced Trappers, so they would not be required to attend a Basic Trapping Course in order to trap on an RFMA. There are other things being discussed wrt to this issue.

The Bio's on the AEP Fur Management Team pushed for a mandatory Basic Trapper Training course for Juniors starting to work on an RFMA and Trappers who purchase an RFMA. Our trapping representatives on the AEP Fur Team and at the ATA were opposed to that.

It appears that there was some substance to the rumour of a mandatory Basic Trapping course for ALL Trappers, despite trapping experience, who don't have it. The Bio's on the AEP Fur Team want to make it mandatory for ALL Trappers who have not attended the Basic Trapping Course to take one. The official position for both our representatives on the AEP Fur Team and the ATA is a definitive NO and they do not support that happening.

In addition to making the Basic Trapping Course mandatory for all Trappers that don't have it, the Bio's on the ATA Fur Team want to make workshops mandatory as well. Again the official position of our representatives on the AEP Fur Team and at the ATA is in opposition to that.

I'm not sure if this was an official position from the ATA nor just an opinion, however, one individual that I corresponded with was clear with telling me that he/she thought that the mandatory Basic Trapping Course for Juniors wanting to trap on an RFMA or purchase the assets on a trapline was total horse poop and served no purpose whatsoever. I am in agreement with that. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to force an experienced Trapper to attend a Basic Trapper Course.

In addition to the work that our representatives are doing on our behalf, there are currently several resolutions being developed by the members of the ATA on this and other issues that will be presented to the membership and voted on at the next AGM. Included are these two resolutions that somewhat coincide with the above information:

- Creating a two tiered training system where first time Trappers attend a Basic Trapping course without covering class A furbearers and an RFMA course that involves class A furbearers.

- Lowering the cost of the Basic Trapping course to make it more accessible to kids and low income individuals while still making a modest profit to fund other projects.

These two resolutions compliment each other as eliminating class A furbearers from the Basic Trapping course will shorten the course and the cost for conducting it. Eliminating Class A furbearers from the basic course would not be detrimental to the standard of training for first time Trappers who won't be trapping them anyway. For anyone wanting to trap Class A furbearers on an RFMA they would simply be required to attend an RFMA course.

So, there you have it. That's all that I know for now and I have no reason to not believe what I have been told.

Thoughts and input? I am particularly interested with Trapper's thoughts about the resolutions that I presented.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM

I agree with the ATA position. I don't think the bios should have any say on trap lines period. You meet the minimum requirements and pay your fees.... end of story, the line stays yours until you want to sell to the next guy.

A new driver can challenge the test and get their drivers licence. Although its a good idea there is no requirement to take a drivers education course.

Any person can buy a grazing lease, there is no requirement to take a grazing management course or a cattle handling course.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Trapline Relinquishment Update

Dave thanks for the info , agree , sounds a little more encouraging & if the two parties back it up , lets hope. The grandfather clause will effect those of us that have the experience & are active in trapping . ( resident licence only or RFMA) & makes no sense to be forced to take a course . Two Tier System , first time trappers - basic trapping course with no Class A Furbearers & a RFMA course which involves class A furbearers for those wishing to trap on a RFMA this seems to be a more practical approach .
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Dave thanks for update. The transfer of traplines is one of the most important issues facing the trapping industry in Alberta. Many of us have significant investment in cabins and other infrastructure on our lines. When we go off to the happy trapping grounds we want to know our wives will not loose the capital investment.