Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Reloading for 7MM remington mag

I am fairly new to reloading so I always ask for help when I can . I am look to load 150 gr nosler partition . What's a good powder I was thinking about 4831 tried some imr 7828 but I am looking to tighten up my group a bit more .
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM

I use IMR 4831 with 150 grain TSX and get excellent accuracy; less than inch at 100
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 PM

I have had excellent luck with h4831 accuracy-wise but my velocity is never what I expect it to be. Can only get 2950 with 140 gr Barnes. I guess tikka are just slow rifles. H1000,retumbo,h4831,rl22 are all good powders to start with. I prefer hodgdon extruded because the temp stability gives me some piece of mind and I'm a bit ocd when it comes to my handloads.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM

For the 140s & 150s I use reloader-17. Works great
Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I use IMR 4831 with 150 grain TSX and get excellent accuracy; less than inch at 100
I have loaded and shot a 7MM for over 40 years. Have shot most bullets made and for many years hunted with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions, followed by 162 gr. Hornady Interlocks because they shot a little tighter, and a few Sierra Grand Slams 160 gr. along the way. In the last half a dozen years I have gone to Barns 150 gr. TTSX. Out of my old rifle the Barnes by far produces the best groups, averaging less than 1 MOA. Beyond shooting well I have never been disappointed the impact results on game, both deer and elk. I use 4831 powder in front of a magnum CCI 250 primer. There are so many good bullets out there today it's hard to find one that will not get the job done.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 PM

H 4831 ,imr4831 and if it won't shoot that try imr 4350 or h4350,they have always worked in any of my 7mm RM
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Ive had the best groups with RL22 & Retumbo
Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Used both here IMR 7828ssc and IMR 4831. 150gr and 160gr respectively
Old 01-12-2017, 09:15 PM

I'm currently using Rel25 under a 160 Accubond. I have used H4350 under a 150 Ballistic Tip and Rel22 with 140 TTSX's. All worked well.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 PM

I just loaded 2 batches of 20 today.
150 gr TSX with 58 gr of H414,
And 160 gr Accubonds with 65 gr of H4831.
Lots of different loads to tinker with in the 7mm RM for sure.

TBark
Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot71 View Post
I am fairly new to reloading so I always ask for help when I can . I am look to load 150 gr nosler partition . What's a good powder I was thinking about 4831 tried some imr 7828 but I am looking to tighten up my group a bit more .
Please,,please,,, dont ever use advise from people on here about what to load unless they are as close to you as a brother or dad cuz it could mean your life or your vision. I use the 150 partition in my 7mm mag and my advise is use the nosler book, its online too, ive tried to develope lots of different loads but the book is real close to perfect for anything ive tried. Find a mentor that will share knowledge if you want to experiment but accepting random data on reloading on the internet is a recipe for disaster and thats the response all these guys should have given you.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Please,,please,,, dont ever use advise from people on here about what to load unless they are as close to you as a brother or dad cuz it could mean your life or your vision. I use the 150 partition in my 7mm mag and my advise is use the nosler book, its online too, ive tried to develope lots of different loads but the book is real close to perfect for anything ive tried. Find a mentor that will share knowledge if you want to experiment but accepting random data on reloading on the internet is a recipe for disaster and thats the response all these guys should have given you.
X3,reloading takes time to learn and way to much info that may be off,so like xbolt7mm is saying is very true and finding someone you know well because there's guy's that do load the way they say,but are lucky they don't blow there heads off.
Yes with the nosler book start low and move up slowy,till you find that sweet spot or that's the best the gun can do either way you will be good to go hunting plus in the future teach someone the right way to do reload.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Good advice. Just don't believe all the velocity numbers listed in the nosler manual. For me they were on average over 300 fps slow on all of the Max loads that I tried.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I disagree with your objection to advise as to what components others have experience with and have had good results with. How much to load is totally a different matter and I totally agree with you as one needs to refer to a manufactures manual or some other reliable load data source. That is why whenever I reply to such a post I never recommend quantities of propellants.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I disagree with your objection to advise as to what components others have experience with and have had good results with. How much to load is totally a different matter and I totally agree with you as one needs to refer to a manufactures manual or some other reliable load data source. That is why whenever I reply to such a post I never recommend quantities of propellants.
Look at post #6, to a new person to reloading, it may imply that H4831 and Imr 4831 are interchangeable, then it mentions Imr 4350 and H4350 also implying interchangeability. Now would a new person load those powder with the exact same charge, Maybe, based on that post I might have. If the Nolser book does not list a powder in their chart then a new person has no business using it until he has the knowledge base to make that decision on his own. Every powder has its own characteristics and will create different pressures. How would you feel if a newbie used your advice, messed it up by using your recommended powder but because you never told a volume/amount he went to the book and used a measurement for a different powder and got a bolt in the face. Giving a different powder with no measurement is even more dangerous then giving a measurement to a newbie. Just so your aware, lots of reloading sites do not allow sharing loads on a public forum for a reason, its bad news for everyone. Always refer to the book and start low and work up, looking for high pressure indication all the way through the work up.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagelh View Post
Good advice. Just don't believe all the velocity numbers listed in the nosler manual. For me they were on average over 300 fps slow on all of the Max loads that I tried.
Your correct. Crono's are cheap compared to the rest of the reloading gear and are needed to create proper ballistic information that is crucial for longer distances. There are lots of people on here that are better at reloading than I am so im not pretending or implying Im a know it all but some of the info given is just plain dangerous.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 AM

I tried Enduron 7977 and had decent success with 150 gr Nosler Partitions in my 7mm. Group size averaged about an inch, give or take. The hotter I got the load the tighter it shot until I was around an inch and still well under the max powder charge. My go to powder is H4831 and 150 Nosler Partition. If you're going to start packing your own go buy a decent reloading manual or go to the component manufacturers websites for info and always work your loads up slowly and as others have said and always watch for signs of excessive pressure. By starting at the minimum load and working your way up you have the opportunity to see what works best for your particular rifle. A hotter load isn't necessarily a better load. I always load for accuracy over velocity.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Well you are already on the right track by picking a reliable bullet for hunting in the 7mmRM. As far a powder selection I like to see what I have on hand and also what is readily available. Reloading supplies are more accessible then a few years ago. You will want to stay with the medium to slow burning powders for that cartridge and there are several good ones. H-4350 and H-4831 are 2 you may want to test, H-1000 and Rl-22 are also test worthy if you can find them.
As was mentioned start low and work up , when doing load work up never load more then needed for a test , so you don't end up pulling 50 bullets for being overzealous. Have fun .
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 AM

When I had my 7 RM, I got very good results with IMR 7828.

I can't speak to the level of knowledge of the OP. Or the quality of his own ammunition, or tolerances he induces in his reloading practices, the precision of his equipment, nor the quality of his optics, rests, or rifle.

I can't comment on the OP's skill level as a shooter, either.

I'd suggest two things of the OP.

Let an accomplished reloader and shooter try your rifle and loads out, let that same learned individual try some of his own worked up loads for your rifle in your rifle.

Then let the results speak.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Look at post #6, to a new person to reloading, it may imply that H4831 and Imr 4831 are interchangeable, then it mentions Imr 4350 and H4350 also implying interchangeability. Now would a new person load those powder with the exact same charge, Maybe, based on that post I might have. If the Nolser book does not list a powder in their chart then a new person has no business using it until he has the knowledge base to make that decision on his own. Every powder has its own characteristics and will create different pressures. How would you feel if a newbie used your advice, messed it up by using your recommended powder but because you never told a volume/amount he went to the book and used a measurement for a different powder and got a bolt in the face. Giving a different powder with no measurement is even more dangerous then giving a measurement to a newbie. Just so your aware, lots of reloading sites do not allow sharing loads on a public forum for a reason, its bad news for everyone. Always refer to the book and start low and work up, looking for high pressure indication all the way through the work up.
My bad,I can see your point that someone new to reloading might take it that way,but I don't like to give out charge weights either as someone new to reloading might think it would be safe in their rifle.
Anyone new to reloading and even myself can always learn something new and it never hurts to ask for others opinions but a that's all they are, opinions.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Here is a thread along the same lines

There was another thread along the same lines as this one with some great info.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=278864
Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM

I guess the only answer to most reloading requests should be:

Consult with reliable loading data and/or an experienced reloader that you trust.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Chill out. He asked for powder suggestion for reloading 7mm rem mag and that was all that was given. Nobody gave him charge amounts, no C.O.A.L., etc... Everything was fine until you got on your soap box and nothing provided to the OP was even remotely out of line.

OP, if you search online IMR 4831 will probably be one of the most popular choices and it is listed in several reloading manuals. If you need I can photo copy my manuals (Nosler and Lyman's 49) and email you a photo. Reloader powder is also very good and referenced in many manuals but a lot people complain about finding it in stock at local stores. A mentor is always a good idea but many have learned on their own and have been very successful. Do not give up on reloading because you can't find a mentor. There are many very experienced and knowledgeable reloaders on this forum (I do not fall into that group). Don't be discouraged to come and ask questions, and good luck with the load development.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Chill out. He asked for powder suggestion for reloading 7mm rem mag and that was all that was given. Nobody gave him charge amounts, no C.O.A.L., etc... Everything was fine until you got on your soap box and nothing provided to the OP was even remotely out of line.

OP, if you search online IMR 4831 will probably be one of the most popular choices and it is listed in several reloading manuals. If you need I can photo copy my manuals (Nosler and Lyman's 49) and email you a photo. Reloader powder is also very good and referenced in many manuals but a lot people complain about finding it in stock at local stores. A mentor is always a good idea but many have learned on their own and have been very successful. Do not give up on reloading because you can't find a mentor. There are many very experienced and knowledgeable reloaders on this forum (I do not fall into that group). Don't be discouraged to come and ask questions, and good luck with the load development.
No,,,i wont chill out !!!!! He clearly said he was new to reloading yet all you guys spout off info because you all want your load development to be the best. You all started out the same way or should have. With the info from the book because if you read the book you would not be experimenting with some random guys info you got from the internet. Your all supposed to be helping new people not endangering them with ego. If he is in the calgary area i would gladly help him out if he pm'ed me but no one should ever use any information off a forum to make ammo. There some sick people out there. For all i know you are one. If you want to give advice on a scope or what sling to buy, or even a hook to use, fill your boots and type away to your hearts content. But to give info on what could blind a guy,,,, you or any of us have no business doing that!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:54 PM

I don't know what posts you are reading but nobody provided the OP with any load development. Please quote 1 example of load data provided to the OP by anyone. Powder and bullet weight was all that was offered and from my limited experience they will not spontaneously explode on their own. You are way off in left field and not providing anything useful to this thread at all.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
No,,,i wont chill out !!!!! He clearly said he was new to reloading yet all you guys spout off info because you all want your load development to be the best. You all started out the same way or should have. With the info from the book because if you read the book you would not be experimenting with some random guys info you got from the internet. Your all supposed to be helping new people not endangering them with ego. If he is in the calgary area i would gladly help him out if he pm'ed me but no one should ever use any information off a forum to make ammo. There some sick people out there. For all i know you are one. If you want to give advice on a scope or what sling to buy, or even a hook to use, fill your boots and type away to your hearts content. But to give info on what could blind a guy,,,, you or any of us have no business doing that!!!!!!
and who is that certified YOU as reliable? If for some reason some sick person as you say would advise something potentially dangerous, there are many good people here that could warn against if they read the post. Dangerous information given by PM would have less chance of being detected. You should chill.

No one crossed the line, but if you think so the only thing to say should be check the book and/or talk to someone you trust.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:15 PM

I have several loading books I am using . I was just wanting to see what others were using and having the best luck with . How does IMR handle temp changes here in Alberta . Will it perform as well as Hodgdon ?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=shurshot71;3442590]
Quote:
I have several loading books I am using
Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I have several loading books I am using . I was just wanting to see what others were using and having the best luck with . How does IMR handle temp changes here in Alberta . Will it perform as well as Hodgdon ?
I have tried the Hodgdon and the IMR powders in 270, 280 and 7mm Rem. In every rifle I have tried accuracy wise individual rifles showed one better than the other but I needed to try both to determine which was best.

As far as temperature change I do not know. I know that Hodgdon advertises they are better at this but can not prove it by me.

In the 7mm I have mostly favored the 160 partition. Just me! I liked it!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
and who is that certified YOU as reliable? If for some reason some sick person as you say would advise something potentially dangerous, there are many good people here that could warn against if they read the post. Dangerous information given by PM would have less chance of being detected. You should chill.

No one crossed the line, but if you think so the only thing to say should be check the book and/or talk to someone you trust.
I may not be reliable, same with you, but im the one saying to not trust us. I will chill, you guys go ahead and mess up some new reloaders, make sure you tell em all to not wear glasses, im done with this