Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 AM

Default Grouse Hunt

Well I made it out on Monday for a day hunt, what a spectacular day.

Weather was fantastic everything about the day went great.

Was in 338 got out late as I had to take my boy to school then do some running around.

Finally around 1230 I was in my familiar stomping grounds. Right off the hop 8 Rufffies at the side of the lease road, I wasn't yet ready.

Still had the rifle locked didn't load the magazine hell I had my cell in my hand looking for my directions to a favourite starting place, didn't even have my "hunting" eyes on as I almost ran them over before I even noticed them.

Well I pulled over got the rifle out of the case loaded a mag, figured it would go either way at this point either I was going to strike it rich or strike out.

Put a little chase on in to the bush where I thought I'd seen them go in.
30 minutes of stocking and no dice. Oh well on to the next spot.

Put a lot of miles on the truck didn't see any for another hour or more, chased a couple more into the bush still not shots fired.

But I was out the sun was shining things not all bad.

Stopped to have a bite.

Was back at it, finally seek one in the bush 30 feet or so In front of me I chase it in an other 60 feet thought I lost it, turns out I over took it found him on my way back out as it found me too took a good shot, 1 for 1 happy dance.

Take a picture or two pop it in the cooler and off I go.

This is where the day gets even better I see a few hunters I wave they wave, I move on (just seems natural to me) see another bird I give chase into the bush end up bumping it three times what do I see but a game cam, pose for a thumbs up picture (just the way it should be) and keep chasing my super elusive James Bond bird, no luck that last bump he flew too far and bush got too thick to see where he went. I was hoping to pose with a smile and chicken but was not so lucky, oh well getting supper close to where I was heading anyways it's now closer to 3pm.

This next area was fantastic by now I have two Ruffies and seeing a ton down this last stretch I get to limit out only missed two shots, with only seeing the two that I have shot at and missed, but as I'm stocking and staying still looking and listening I hear the grass/leaves moving. There are more right here that i just don't see yet. While I'm waiting I see one that I was damn near standing on book it to the thicker brush area I waiting knelt down anticipated his direction and sure enough a clean shot took him down.

I hear a quad in the distance getting closer, figuring it was going to keep coming and I would need to move on I retrieved the downed Ruffie clean it then the quad is super close rounds the corner I see him wave he waves back and turns around continues on in another direction.

The grass is still rustling I start scanning as I am hearing that talking sound they make when they're getting ready to take flight. I let my eyes go burly then did they all pop take two more first down with one shot next one took three shots as he just sat there while I missed his bobbing head but connected on the third.

What a fantastic way to spend the day. Saw no less than 30 grouse, got my limit. I respected other hunters, other respected me, just the way it was meant to be.

I hope every one has many days like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.9 KB, 311 views)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 AM

Sounds like a pretty awesome day nice gun ya got there too I usually use a 12g for ruffle but I'm gonna bring my 10.22 out next time

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 AM

Sounds like a great time! The way it should be.

Thanks for the writeup!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM

Thanks for a great read!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM

Default lots of fun

sounds like the perfect afternoon!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Sweet! This weekend can't come soon enough!

BW
Old 10-05-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
nice gun ya got there too
Thank you that's a Mossberg 152 semi auto that is wearing a Boyd's factory reject (inleted incorrectly for a savage 93R) that I reworked and inleted for that mossy.

Made my own mag plate and finished with Tru-oil

V