Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 10:14 PM

Default What things typically end a hunt for you?

I had a cow moose bark at me early in the evening the other night and no doubt the whole valley heard it. I called it quits and went somewhere else. It seems hard to recover any kind of odds in an area after getting busted like that. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 11:03 PM

Default Cow

I'm not sure what a cow bark is, but animals send distress sounds 10-20 times a day in there world. Humans are more offended by it than the animals themselves I feel. I would not leave an area because of barking or snorting or howling, they have not vanished they are just listening and being cautios for 30 min.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I'm not sure what a cow bark is, but animals send distress sounds 10-20 times a day in there world. Humans are more offended by it than the animals themselves I feel. I would not leave an area because of barking or snorting or howling, they have not vanished they are just listening and being cautios for 30 min.
I agree with that. I've had slot of great hunts after being previously busted in the same area earlier in the morning or evening. Only time I find it will "wreck" a hunt is if you get busted in the last 15-20 min of daylight and are sitting on a field. Even then, still had stuff come out quickly afterwards, but seems to delay the progression. For example, I've been busted by one elk, only to have another come into the same set only minutes later.

And to answer the OP's question, the only 2 things that end my hunt are a filled tag or legal light, lol.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
What things typically end a hunt for you?
other trucks passing driving threw the same field i was hunting on foot back in the day when i hunted farm country .

what would end a hunt for me now getting busted by a deer hate that sound.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
I had a cow moose bark at me early in the evening the other night and no doubt the whole valley heard it. I called it quits and went somewhere else. It seems hard to recover any kind of odds in an area after getting busted like that. Thoughts?

After getting busted stop ... sit ... and listen .. carry on .. I have had moose come and see their buddy get field dressed ...they have very short memory's
Old 10-05-2016, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
other trucks passing driving threw the same field i was hunting on foot back in the day when i hunted farm country .

what would end a hunt for me now getting busted by a deer hate that sound.
I've had that had happen too ... dude cruizin around on a quad stopped to b.s ... as he was leaving a moose stepped out and bang ... never hang your head ... be prepared ... the dangest thing's happen !!!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:59 AM

The only thing that ends a hunt for me is 30 minutes after sunset. Never give up its not sportsman like.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 AM

Last year I had a cow bark at me while I was headed up a ridge, I cut around her to give her lots of room and had another cow bark at me as well within 300 yards from the first cow, obviously pretty un-concerned about the first cows bark. I continued to see those two cows for the next several kilometers, as whenever I bumped into them they would head up the ridge, the same direction I was going, and about a half hour later I would see one of them again. I didn't let it end my hunt.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post

Yeah I guess it's more of a belch than a bark...

Old 10-05-2016, 07:27 AM

I finally managed to get out yesterday , up in the hills where I hope to find an elk.
Not much for sign after the big rain we had , about 4:30 ish I finally stumbled on fresh tracks and dung . The wind had a chill and was blowing hard out of the NE , as I slowly made my way from one ridge to the next hoping to bump or spot the herd I got to a decent spot to glass and have a break, hung my bow on a limb , back back off , and started to glass . About 5 mins in this spot with a great vantage point I felt the wind tickle the back of my neck , about 30 seconds later a WT that must have been bedded about 40 yrds or so down the ridge jumped up snorting and stomping . I new the jig was up , made my way to the truck .. Most times I'd sit till dark though.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
After getting busted stop ... sit ... and listen .. carry on .. I have had moose come and see their buddy get field dressed ...they have very short memory's

This, stop look listen, enjoy being outdoors.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Last year I rifle shot a doe, proceeded to begin processing her. 10 minutes after my shot, 200m away, a whitetail buck stepped out onto the same cutline that all the action before happened on, and he walked right to the exact same spot the doe was shot at. I would have thought that a rifle shot would ruin a location, but sometimes the animals dont take as much warning to their surroundings as we think they would. Kinda like humans i guess.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
The only thing that ends a hunt for me is 30 minutes after sunset. Never give up its not sportsman like.
+1
Old 10-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Last year I rifle shot a doe, proceeded to begin processing her. 10 minutes after my shot, 200m away, a whitetail buck stepped out onto the same cutline that all the action before happened on, and he walked right to the exact same spot the doe was shot at. I would have thought that a rifle shot would ruin a location, but sometimes the animals dont take as much warning to their surroundings as we think they would. Kinda like humans i guess.
Nothing about hunting is written in stone ... It may sound like bs but after sneaking into a herd of elk in their bedding area I coulda downed a bunch ... mass confushion ... !!!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
This, stop look listen, enjoy being outdoors.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Yup, a filled tag, legal light or IncrediGirl's cookin' - that'll pull me off a stand.

I've had deer watch me set up their buddy for field pics. I found that if you are off the beaten path, the animals are generally more relaxed anyhow.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM

I am a still Hunter Snd stalker and my favourite hunting ground is heavily used .
I start hunting as soon as u leave the truck and hunt right back to the truck - ALWAYS!
I have killed deer within 50 yards of the truck on the way back to it with Quads and dirt bikes in the vicinity .
Cat
Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 AM

When my tag is on either an animal or my Christmas tree! Animals are funny things. I have seen deer come to another does wheeze just to see what she is looking at.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Should have bull grunted, really confuse her lol. It's been my experience, after the first alert, they tend to calm down and go about their business if nothing else causes them concern. If the area had good sign, i would stay.

A solid rain will get me back to the tent and beside a warm stove crackling pretty quick(or a snooze). Snow not too much unless it's a raging storm.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

For myself, it is usually the end of legal light, or a successful kill that stops a hunt for me, but...
... For the first time in my life I went on a rifle hunt in late summer. On 3 different occasions I was decided to quit a field early due to bears. Never had that problem in November, or even early bow hunting where I usually hunt. One time I was sitting on top of an old combine when mamma was in front of me, and 3 cubs were behind me. Being between a mother bear and her cubs was not a comfortable feeling, and no Elk or Deer appeared in field. I do have some videos of the bear encounter.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Well I feel like I`m pretty tough and have really only ever had one setback end my hunt...... thanks Remington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-10_08-44-29_553.jpg (27.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Had the wind switch on me last night pulled out half hour before legal shooting was over

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Cold rain....I can hunt in snow and cold, but can't concentrate on being stealthy/still in cold clammy damp conditions. Could in my youth but nowadays when the rain comes, a nice Cohiba and brandy start singing their siren song.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM

My own laziness is what gets me every time.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Tag peeled or sundown. Period
Old 10-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Gone Hunting

If I'm hunting with someone else, friend or client, unsafe gun handling ends the hunt.

If I'm calling predators and the wind gets to blowing tumbleweeds, or the temps drop below -30, I'm done.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
never hang your head ... be prepared ... the dangest thing's happen !!!
true very true
Old 10-05-2016, 04:44 PM

My son complaining that he is bored ends the hunt for me after a few hours out. So much for hunting with my kids. /cry
Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 PM

In the last 5 years strictly a morning hunter, don't like the late night packing meat out a mile to the truck stuff anymore. So noon, I'm done. that's the way it is.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Windy days, too windy to use the climber stand so I opt. for the blind.
Hey turkey seasons open same as fall deer.

Wind picks up briskly and the blind rolls over leaving me setting there ..
like naked for all the world to see.

Time to go home.

Not quite as bad as having the out house blown over but kind of feels the
same.