Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Ghost PLUZ

Is anyone aware whether vehicle access is allowed on the EWS road off the TransAlta road?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:09 PM

EWS road?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
EWS road?
Enviros Wilderness School...... school for wayward youth.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Default Yup

We use it all the time, just don't drive into the camp.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
We use it all the time, just don't drive into the camp.
Yah that's what we've been doing. Cheers
Old 10-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Moose Hunt

Hello all,

Well after waiting a number of years I was able to finally get my Moose draw for 412. We were hoping to access the back country behind EWS. While the road is closed and with so many trails closed to quads, etc., anyone know whether there are alternative access routes to the country/swamp in the valley. It's been a couple years since we've been out there and a lot has change. Thank you
Old 10-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkogut View Post
Hello all,

Well after waiting a number of years I was able to finally get my Moose draw for 412. We were hoping to access the back country behind EWS. While the road is closed and with so many trails closed to quads, etc., anyone know whether there are alternative access routes to the country/swamp in the valley. It's been a couple years since we've been out there and a lot has change. Thank you

Apparently there's a road closure somewhere along the transalta road because of the fire right now.

https://www.albertafirebans.ca/

FOREST AREA CLOSURE IN EFFECT

A forest area closure is in place within the Calgary Forest Area for public safety during active wildfire operations. Wildland firefighting crews, vehicles and aircraft from Alberta Agriculture and Forestry are conducting suppression operations on the Devil’s Head wildfire within the forest area closure.

The forest area closure is within the Calgary Forest Area portion of Alberta’s Forest Protection Area. The closure area is approximately 18,500 hectares located east of the Banff National Park boundary, Township 27 Ranges 9,10 and 11 near the TransAlta Road.

Under a forest area closure, access is limited to individuals authorized by permit to enter the area. Permits are issued by the local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry office, and can be requested by calling 403-297-8822.

The forest area closure will remain in effect until wildfire operations and the current wildfire hazard dictate that it is safe re-open the area.

People that are granted access to this area via permit must still abide by the conditions of the fire ban in the surrounding area:

Prohibited
· outdoor wood fires
· backyard firepits
· barbecues with charcoal briquettes
· fireworks and exploding targets
· all fire permits are suspended or cancelled.

Allowed
· propane / natural gas powered appliances
· open flame CSA approved oil devices
· indoor wood fires

** All devices must be CSA approved and used as per manufacturer standards. Users are still responsible for care and attendance of all devices and should reduce their use during fire restrictions and bans. Approved activities or devices will not prevent potential prosecution or litigation if the user or device starts a wildfire.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Apparently there's a road closure somewhere along the transalta road because of the fire right now.

https://www.albertafirebans.ca/

FOREST AREA CLOSURE IN EFFECT

A forest area closure is in place within the Calgary Forest Area for public safety during active wildfire operations. Wildland firefighting crews, vehicles and aircraft from Alberta Agriculture and Forestry are conducting suppression operations on the Devil’s Head wildfire within the forest area closure.

The forest area closure is within the Calgary Forest Area portion of Alberta’s Forest Protection Area. The closure area is approximately 18,500 hectares located east of the Banff National Park boundary, Township 27 Ranges 9,10 and 11 near the TransAlta Road.

Under a forest area closure, access is limited to individuals authorized by permit to enter the area. Permits are issued by the local Alberta Agriculture and Forestry office, and can be requested by calling 403-297-8822.

The forest area closure will remain in effect until wildfire operations and the current wildfire hazard dictate that it is safe re-open the area.

People that are granted access to this area via permit must still abide by the conditions of the fire ban in the surrounding area:

Prohibited
· outdoor wood fires
· backyard firepits
· barbecues with charcoal briquettes
· fireworks and exploding targets
· all fire permits are suspended or cancelled.

Allowed
· propane / natural gas powered appliances
· open flame CSA approved oil devices
· indoor wood fires

** All devices must be CSA approved and used as per manufacturer standards. Users are still responsible for care and attendance of all devices and should reduce their use during fire restrictions and bans. Approved activities or devices will not prevent potential prosecution or litigation if the user or device starts a wildfire.
Thank you. I'll check if this area is captured under this.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Out of curiosity,how long did it take to get your moose Crawford that zone? Bull or cow?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Out of curiosity,how long did it take to get your moose Crawford that zone? Bull or cow?

Im thinking bull with a name like Crawford.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Bull, priority 8
Old 10-02-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Closed

The road in has been closed and gated. I got ahold of my MLA and then received a letter from some manager that the road (he called it a trail) is now only for the two disposition users, Enviros and Brewsters.

We have been using this area for hunting, fishing, camping for 30+ years.

This gate effectively closes off the entire Laseur Creek/Meadow Creek Valley.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The road in has been closed and gated. I got ahold of my MLA and then received a letter from some manager that the road (he called it a trail) is now only for the two disposition users, Enviros and Brewsters.

That area has been abused for decades, it's come home to roost.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7334247/c...oned-campfire/

Grizz
Old 10-05-2020, 09:05 AM

To confirm, is it the main gate at the Forestry Trunk Road that is locked?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:58 AM

I just got confirmation that it’s the Enviros road that is closed - per the OP question. Also, due to the fire near black rock mtn, the Transalta road is closed (Currently) at kilometre 14 (just before the drop into the ghost valley proper)....

Last edited by Diligence; 10-05-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
That area has been abused for decades, it's come home to roost.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7334247/c...oned-campfire/

Grizz
Abused by some, I agree. But used by many.

The AEP needs to take some responsibility for the lack of any enforcement for the last 20? years in this area. They closed their eyes to this area when the Aurora Ranger Station was closed in the early 1990s.

It is not OK to close off this access to public land. This gate closes off tens of thousands of acres to everyone.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligence View Post
I just got confirmation that it’s the Enviros road that is closed - per the OP question. Also, due to the fire near black rock mtn, the Transalta road is closed (Currently) at kilometre 14 (just before the drop into the ghost valley proper)....

Not really familiar with the mile markers, is that before or after the "shooting range"?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Thank you. My effort to contact Enviros has resulted in nothing. So sad, such a great area back there
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 AM

@mindoutside - The 14km mark is long past the "shooting range" before the "Big Hill" (outfitters camp)...and past the EWS access road too. Basically kilometer 14 is just before the road drops down the really big hill into the Ghost River valley
Old 10-06-2020, 12:39 PM

Default Fire NEarby

Emergency alert declared overnight due to ongoing fire. If anyone is out about and hears about current closures or future closures, please keep me posted. Transalta road closed may be closed, my fear is they shut down highway 40.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkogut View Post
Emergency alert declared overnight due to ongoing fire. If anyone is out about and hears about current closures or future closures, please keep me posted. Transalta road closed may be closed, my fear is they shut down highway 40.
Radio here said Benchlands ?

Grizz
Old 10-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligence View Post
@mindoutside - The 14km mark is long past the "shooting range" before the "Big Hill" (outfitters camp)...and past the EWS access road too. Basically kilometer 14 is just before the road drops down the really big hill into the Ghost River valley
Ah ok great, that is for clarifying
Old 10-06-2020, 04:12 PM

Benchlands and Waiperous village are on notice to possibly evacuate. I was in Cochrane this afternoon and lots of smoke coming from that direction. Windy today too.....
Old 10-06-2020, 08:36 PM

Default 412 Shut Down

Ministerial order passed earlier today. I spoke with a Forestry official and 412 is essentially closed for all public use. No moose hunting for now.

https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire...r-045-2020.pdf
Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:

It doesn't stop one from foot access.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
As per the agent I spoke with, foot access is no longer allowed as of 4:00 pm today. As the wind changes so can the order, but for now no public access allowed, only if you get a permit which will be for industrial operators to secure any facilities in the vicinity.

I'm just the messenger :-)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
And that would be plain stupid.

Grizz
Old 10-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire...r-045-2020.pdf

This says, "The lands described below are closed to public entry:"... There is no exception for foot traffic.

It means stay out... Period.

I've been out there 3 days since Sept 17th, and it's dry AF. Every footstep sounds like you're stepping in a bowl of Cornflakes.

Then there's all the idiots "camping" along the TransAlta who were disobeying the fireban.

And the quads & bikes ripping up & down the road - or way past the OHV zone on illegal trails right through were I was hunting.

I give it 2 years before they put signs up like in Kananaskis - "NO CAMPING OR SHOOTING WITHIN 1KM OF ROAD"... I can't wait.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:16 PM

So it looks like the fire has been downgraded from 'out of control' to 'being held,' and the closure of the area has been revoked:

https://wildfire.alberta.ca/wildfire...r-047-2020.pdf
Old 10-16-2020, 03:28 PM

The road/trail from the Foresty Trunk Road is open. Went all the way to the Ghost River Valley along it. Their is some heavy vehicle traffic along it.

Tags
412, wmu412