Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I have drafted a letter already, I'm just trying to decide if I should send it in. The incident occurred in an area I frequently hunt and I'm sure there will be repercussions on my end while I wait for the results if an investigation is started.
I would report it. I've reported before and never had any issues. That's what making the outdoors not fun.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 PM

I got looked over by Shane up by GC. He is great, but still doing his job. Don't cross the line. The younger F+W are now trained by our RCMP. Total different mind set IMHI.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Been stopped once since 1980 and I consider that too frequent...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Was stopped north of Hinton on the corner of Switzer Park about 40 mins before legal light on my drive to the crown land on opening day. They had another truck stopped up the road and were parked what looked like perpendicular to the other vehicle as I approached. Not sure what was going on I stayed back about 150m as at that time I did not know it was fish and wildlife and the way the vehicles were parked with several people outside the vehicles so I hung back slightly and turned off my lights so that I wouldn't be blinding them, but left a signal light on if other vehicles came as it was in a bend in the road. Shortly after they drove up to me and asked why I stopped where I did. I responded I wasn't sure what was going on exactly, especially so early in the morning and normally the checkstops by fish and wildlife were at the one pullout and rest stop that I had encountered. The officers were friendly, asked if I was headed hunting, did I have a rifle, and because I was travelling through a park was it unloaded, encased, and the bolt taken out. I rolled down the back window so they could see the rifle was in its case and offered to show them it was unloaded but said it did have the bolt in it. They said they would check themselves that it was unloaded and took the rifle case out. I have the rifle in a kolpin gun boot and it is tough to get it open and the one officer had issues I think opening the case as the second officer went to the back of the truck where they were checking it. I was then asked for my tags and had my drivers licence ready to and he asked if I had been stopped before. I said I have been stopped several times in the Hinton area and their presence is noticeable. I was more surprised that they were out stopping folks so early in the morning but getting stopped didn't bother me. All my stuff checked out and they sent me on my way. Both officers were friendly and suggested I clean my licence plate (it was dirty because of rain the day before) as others may want to see it based on the media issues of people not knowing they had expired vehicle registration. I said I was aware of that and had renewed in January and could prove it if they did require, but they said they were only looking for hunting licences and encased, unloaded and no bolt in the rifle as people passed through the park. Again both officers were friendly. The biggest issue I had is I was later heading into where I wanted to go but I did run into a 2 point bull elk where I wanted to go. It only makes me wonder if I just missed the herd and the 15 minutes I was stopped would have had me ahead of the herd instead of behind it.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 AM

The bolt does not have to be out of the rifle. If the warden is telling you this he is wrong. It only has to be cased and unloaded. How does one take the bolt out of most Semi-autos, pumps, levers, etc. How does one take the bolt out of rifles that don't have bolts like single shots and others without disassembling the rifle.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Why would that be?

I can't think of a reason.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Why do we need hunting licences and regulations if nobody is going to enforce them?? Everyone complains about poaching...these officers are the only ones that dedicate their whole career to battling poachers.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The bolt does not have to be out of the rifle. If the warden is telling you this he is wrong. It only has to be cased and unloaded. How does one take the bolt out of most Semi-autos, pumps, levers, etc. How does one take the bolt out of rifles that don't have bolts like single shots and others without disassembling the rifle.
Now I regret to say that you may also be wrong !
The gun does not need to be cased for transport nor does a trigger lock need top be installed ! Only unloaded and ammunition stored separately.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Now I regret to say that you may also be wrong !
The gun does not need to be cased for transport nor does a trigger lock need top be installed ! Only unloaded and ammunition stored separately.
Bushrat was referring to the post about bolts not having to be out of the gun but the gun having to be cased when going through the park which is correct .

Cat
Old 10-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Default Trigger lock is a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I've had several visits with CO's in 404 and 408. Last fall driving slowly back from elk hunting in 408, about an hour after legal light. Friendly enough CO wanted to check that I wasn't night hunting. I was glad I had put the trigger lock on; it gave him confidence I was not cruising slowly ready to shoot a critter caught in the headlights. Bolt out would have done the same thing.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerthump View Post
I've had several visits with CO's in 404 and 408. Last fall driving slowly back from elk hunting in 408, about an hour after legal light. Friendly enough CO wanted to check that I wasn't night hunting. I was glad I had put the trigger lock on; it gave him confidence I was not cruising slowly ready to shoot a critter caught in the headlights. Bolt out would have done the same thing.
I don't know if it's me but unless I'm required to do so like in parks and such, I travel with my rifle right beside me. Unlocked and unloaded.

There is absolutely no reason nor justification to lock or pull your bolt.
My gun won't be any safer locked beside me than unloaded.

I'm actually looking forward to a officer to give me hard time about it.

Thankfully, I've only met well informed ones to date.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I don't know if it's me but unless I'm required to do so like in parks and such, I travel with my rifle right beside me. Unlocked and unloaded.

There is absolutely no reason nor justification to lock or pull your bolt.
My gun won't be any safer locked beside me than unloaded.

I'm actually looking forward to a officer to give me hard time about it.

Thankfully, I've only met well informed ones to date.
I think most, if not all of us know that you are corrected about transporting a non-restricted firearm - the only requirement is that it needs to be unloaded.

The one and only reason I keep my rifle cased while traveling on the highway is when I have been stopped, it puts the officer more at ease, and it means I'm on my way quicker. I just don't want to deal with uninformed officers who don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing, trying to make an issue when there isn't one, legally speaking.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I think most, if not all of us know that you are corrected about transporting a non-restricted firearm - the only requirement is that it needs to be unloaded.

The one and only reason I keep my rifle cased while traveling on the highway is when I have been stopped, it puts the officer more at ease, and it means I'm on my way quicker. I just don't want to deal with uninformed officers who don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing, trying to make an issue when there isn't one, legally speaking.
I hear you. Probably a good practice to follow but I'm a stubborn .

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-05-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papershredder View Post
Why do we need hunting licences and regulations if nobody is going to enforce them?? Everyone complains about poaching...these officers are the only ones that dedicate their whole career to battling poachers.

So you're saying I'm a poacher?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
So you're saying I'm a poacher?
I think everyone except you knows what he's saying.

Do you actually feel like you should not be stopped?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM

I'm an ethical hunter.

Most years I throw my un-used tags in 'the un-used tags' file.

I'm not a poacher.

Why do I want to be stopped?

It's like this: Why doesn't the RCMP fight crime? Instead of rolling around issuing traffic tickets?

They aren't fighting crime, anymore than a fish cop is, when he pulls me over.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Was stopped for my first time ever about half way between Eagle's Nest Cabin and Rock Lake PP. Two of them were hiking into Eagle's Nest cabin and staying the night there. Was kind of surprised to be checked 10 km from the nearest road, considering I've never even been checked on the road, but it's a good thing they are getting out there.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I'm an ethical hunter.

I'm not a poacher.

It's like this: Why doesn't the RCMP fight crime? Instead of rolling around issuing traffic tickets?

How is an officer supposed to know who the ethical hunter is when deciding to stop some one.

Also, your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges.
The COs and F+W officers are not handing out tragic tickets.
They are checking to insure proper hunting rules are followed.
Police on the other hand so more traffic tickets than crime fighting which I do disagree with.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM

Honestly I wish I was stopped at least once a season, that way I know there is enough officers out there keeping an eye on things and enforcing the laws. I am happy to be stopped...just doesn't happen very often. Last time was about 4-5 years ago while fishing on Pigeon Lake.

LC
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Honestly I wish I was stopped at least once a season, that way I know there is enough officers out there keeping an eye on things and enforcing the laws. I am happy to be stopped...just doesn't happen very often. Last time was about 4-5 years ago while fishing on Pigeon Lake.

LC
I agree with this as I think most would.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I agree with this as I think most would.
Exactly, if they never stop anyone, they will never catch any poachers.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm an ethical hunter.

I'm not a poacher.

Ok I will play

I do not think the original comment was questioning your comment or integrity.

Now you and I have responded?

I know I like fire.

Do you respect the law?

I know I like fire and must be accountable are you?

Are you being true and accountable to yourself?

Your post #46 has answered the comments on my post.

Good luck and stay true to the letter.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:15 AM

moved to Alberta in 2005 and have yet to be checked, makes one wonder why we don't have more presence out there but i guess it is budgets and dollars.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Not sure why folk are so upset about a segment of the police force, policing roadways? Our families travel, our friends and ourselves. It would be chaos if not for policing and ticket writing. Heck its chaos as it is. Gotta be the most dangerous part of anyones day, even when everyone follows the law and drives passively. As far as game wardens go, they need presence there, as well as on horse back, walk in's and any other practical method. problem being there isnt enough presence, they know it, so id guess time spent in high odds areas are a solid bet. I might do the same thing were I in that line of work. People with a chip on thier shoulder about these things without question have ran the razors edge on things, guaranteed have been caught, and have poopy bum over it. Precisely whats wrong with todays society... rather than taking the lumps as deserved and learning from it, they choose to place blame. We have all been in the wrong before, be it a seatbelt, speeding etc. some choose to be bettered by these things, some choose to be angry loser dirt bags.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

I'm not a fan of them but I understand check stops for alcohol, or boats, or loaded firearms. But I have been randomly stopped. I have an issue with that. Before they stop me they should have probable cause. I have nothing to hide and I am courteous to them and answer their questions as directly as I can. It just makes it go smoother and easier.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM

I do agree somewhat that getting pulled as side unwarranted is upsetting, after all hunting is not a crime.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 AM

I usually get pulled over or checked 1-3 times a year. From hunting, fishing and ice fishing.

I had a pleasant experience with one officer as he stopped us in the morning and later that day we were headed to a lookout point where we have lunch and ran into him again - he flagged us down and waved us over.

We went over to see him and he had wildlife netting in the back of his truck and said to us I just wanted to double check with you if you have an antlerless elk tag, I am heading over to a farmer who has nuisance elk and he just called me saying there is over 30 head in his field. I can take you over if you do and unfortunately did not have the tag! I had my general tag but the farmer confirmed there was no legal bulls in this herd as they have been seeing it on a daily basis.

Sometimes good, sometimes bad! I find if you are easy with them they are easy with you.

Good luck out there!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

I got stopped for the first time in 30 years last fall as I was driving to my blind. The warden asked me if I was drinking. I told him that I was. He tore my truck apart looking for booze, and looked very stupid when he did not find any booze. He checked my paperwork, after which he asked me what was in my Thermos on the seat. I told him that it was Baileys flavored coffee. He laughed, and when asked if he would like some, he accepted the offer, so I poured him one. He wished me good luck and thanked me for the coffee. I apologized for not having a donut for him though. Maybe next time.