Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Public access for elk in WMU 504-511

Hey guys, I'm looking for info on any public access land in WMUs 504 to 511 where I might be able to find an elk. Had to come back early from our hunt up north of Grande Prairie and I would like to try and get out and fill my elk tag if possible. I've never hunted in any of those zones, but they are relatively close to home and I could try and do some hunting on days off.

Got skunked on my archery moose up there as well, since they had not started calling by the time the season ended on the 23rd. Sure am choked that they took the archery season away from us in 502 (and other zones as well). I'm pretty sure that the archery hunters weren't negatively impacting the moose population so I'm not really sure I understand the logic behind the move.

Anyway, if anybody can point me towards some public access hunting area where I might be able to fill an elk tag, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:58 PM

Good lord I shouldn't be surprised by these threads anymore, but don't people have any self respect to refrain from shamelessly begging like this?
Pick any one of those zones and drive out there and start looking for elk. That's what everyone else did. It takes a ton of effort to find a spot you're looking for. Finding it yourself will be so much more rewarding.
You could even look at the county map thread on here to help find the green areas worth considering.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Good lord I shouldn't be surprised by these threads anymore, but don't people have any self respect to refrain from shamelessly begging like this?
Pick any one of those zones and drive out there and start looking for elk. That's what everyone else did. It takes a ton of effort to find a spot you're looking for. Finding it yourself will be so much more rewarding.
You could even look at the county map thread on here to help find the green areas worth considering.
Yep, I expected this but thought I would ask anyway. I will be going out and doing some hiking and will use maps and the whole nine yards, just like I've always done in the past to learn any new areas. For some reason I thought I would just try to narrow it down a bit and ask for suggestions from the forum, just for the sake of time this year.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Horn View Post
Yep, I expected this but thought I would ask anyway...
This proves my point about shamelessly begging.

Doing all the work you normally would do will give you more info than anything you'd read here anyway. None of those zones are known for being renowned for public land elk havens, so anyone finding success there likely isn't going to just throw it out there on the interweb...at least not if they want to keep enjoying their spot. The elk are in those zones, probably in the bush near farmland more than anything, and probably quite pressured during hunting season. Once you start narrowing down the areas on maps you think are worth checking, you'll realize there aren't as many as you'd initially expect. You're bound to see others there too
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 AM

Default Any 509

Quote:
This proves my point about shamelessly begging.

Doing all the work you normally would do will give you more info than anything you'd read here anyway. None of those zones are known for being renowned for public land elk havens, so anyone finding success there likely isn't going to just throw it out there on the interweb...at least not if they want to keep enjoying their spot. The elk are in those zones, probably in the bush near farmland more than anything, and probably quite pressured during hunting season. Once you start narrowing down the areas on maps you think are worth checking, you'll realize there aren't as many as you'd initially expect. You're bound to see others there too
Wmu 509 along the river valley has the largest numbers in the north zones. Can take a 6 point bull or a cow with archery and tons of crown land. Hunt the river. You can access the trams Canada trail at the end of sawdy Rd. Near the alpac mill has decent numbers too. 507 has elk but on draw. 509 should have minimal pressure until November 1st. Good luck. 506 has elk but low numbers.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Typical....a guy asks for a little help.... And someone right aways starts bi$&?! And complaining and not offering any help...pm me for some leads a have seen a small herd in there
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 AM

I did offer help. Read it again. Just not the same help as you did. The more people share exactly where to go, the more the species population numbers suffer. Fish populations in the oceans are decimated beyond recovery because of the technology used. Are you more interested in killing something and destroying the resource or enjoying hunting your whole life and passing the resource along to the next generations? So who helped him more, me or you? (Rhetorical, I don't actually want that answered. ...just think about it)
If the OP puts in the time to find the spot, I bet they'd be less willing to tell every stranger on the Internet Google searching for Alberta elk spots. You obviously agree with me enough to send it in a pm as opposed to posting openly.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I did offer help. Read it again. Just not the same help as you did. The more people share exactly where to go, the more the species population numbers suffer. Fish populations in the oceans are decimated beyond recovery because of the technology used. Are you more interested in killing something and destroying the resource or enjoying hunting your whole life and passing the resource along to the next generations? So who helped him more, me or you? (Rhetorical, I don't actually want that answered. ...just think about it)
If the OP puts in the time to find the spot, I bet they'd be less willing to tell every stranger on the Internet Google searching for Alberta elk spots. You obviously agree with me enough to send it in a pm as opposed to posting openly.
We need a like button for posts like this.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Waoooo....didnt mean to hurt your feelings there....do you need an apology?
Ppl are sure sensitive...anyways im neither a researcher nor a biologist that works for the government of alberta to speculate on the decline (if any ) on any species...but then again im sure the goverment has done their homework and hence the rules and regs for each wmu.....as far as fisheries go thats an economical (and probably) not and individual one.....again.,,im not a babyboomer to speculate on that either
Old 10-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Hahaha I have no idea how you read what I typed and consider it to be from hurt feelings. Are you suggesting I'm a baby boomer? Or that only a baby boomer would know such information? I'm more like half that age
I'm just stating things matter of fact and plainly. I still think you agree with me enough to send the info via pm. I can't see what benefit it is to turn the discussion from the ideas into a "your feelers must be hurt" though. It kind of just ends discussion of anything pertinent. But I digress.
To the OP, good luck out there. Sounds like 509 is the place to start. The county map thread will provide a map to narrow down the land to the green areas. From there you can pick a solid 3 spots worth exploring and probably find elk in one. Have fun. The more work you put in the more you'll appreciate it and value the state of the area.
Once you find that area, you'll probably appreciate it if someone doesn't revive this old thread and post the location
Old 10-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Hahaha I have no idea how you read what I typed and consider it to be from hurt feelings. Are you suggesting I'm a baby boomer? Or that only a baby boomer would know such information? I'm more like half that age
I'm just stating things matter of fact and plainly. I still think you agree with me enough to send the info via pm. I can't see what benefit it is to turn the discussion from the ideas into a "your feelers must be hurt" though. It kind of just ends discussion of anything pertinent. But I digress.
To the OP, good luck out there. Sounds like 509 is the place to start. The county map thread will provide a map to narrow down the land to the green areas. From there you can pick a solid 3 spots worth exploring and probably find elk in one. Have fun. The more work you put in the more you'll appreciate it and value the state of the area.
Once you find that area, you'll probably appreciate it if someone doesn't revive this old thread and post the location

Can you PM me your sweet spots please? PLEASSSSEEEeeeeee?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
We need a like button for posts like this.
x2
Old 10-04-2016, 03:27 PM

Oh why bother with pm. Especially because you said please.
54.781082,-113.238836
or closer to Edmonton
53.703074,-112.807542
I used to shoot 6pt elk every year. Might be worth checking out again but I have a new spot.
Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. Special thanks to savagencounter and newhunterjp for some possible locations to start my searching from. I didn't mean to start any verbal wars when I posted the thread, but was just looking for somewhere to start focusing the few days that I'm going to have.

Thanks guys!