Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 05:56 AM

Default delete

Was out hunting 2 weeks back and was told by a fish cop it is illegal to carry a hunting riffle in the bush in hunting season with out a hunting licence . Buddy wanted to come along on a hunting trip but wanted to carry a riffle just for bear protection.
Kinda of sucks if I am getting attacked and he is standing with out a riffle.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:04 AM

No license needed for coyotes...

LC
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No license needed for coyotes...

LC
Are you sure???? I'm thinking you need a WC to hunt coyotes on public land. I may be wrong though
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Yes you do need to have a wildlife certificate to hunt anything in alberta, rabbits, yotes, chickens, ducks etc etc etc......... but that's all you need for many things........
Old 10-03-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Yes you do need to have a wildlife certificate to hunt anything in alberta, rabbits, yotes, chickens, ducks etc etc etc......... but that's all you need for many things........
False. Page 16. You need a WC to hunt big game and game birds. Not rabbits or yotes

Re the op, the officer is wrong. All you need to carry a non restricted firearm is a PAL. Do not try to jerk them around with talk of hunting rabbits with a 338 etc...this will land you in court. Nothing would stick most likely, but it will cost you time and money. Just have your friend show his PAL and state that he is there for bear protection, and leave it at that. Molehills do not need to be made into mountains.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Coyote
A Resident may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote on lands to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2017, or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date. In Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730) a Resident may hunt coyote from January 5, 2017 to February 28, 2017.

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote licence may hunt (but not trap) coyote on lands to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from opening day of a big game in a particular WMU to May 31, 2017, or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:41 AM

I've been wondering this as well. My girlfriend wants to come along on a hunt for the trip aspect and hiking outside. She's not looking to kill anything. Without a licence, with no intent to pull the trigger on an animal.. Can she come along for the walk? If I've got my PAL and she's always by my side. Can she carry a shotgun for bear protection?
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Question...can she effectively use the shotgun? If she is by your side and you have a firearm or weapon, are you proficient enough to protect you both?

The amount of bear protection needed usually relates to situational awareness, bear smarts, some pepper spray and proficiency with the weapon of choice.

If you need more than that....it was fate and your time was up

The amount people worry about bears vs. The amount of worry actually needed is disproportionate.

LC
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Can she come along without a licence if she doesn't carry a gun? Just bear spray.

I'm definitely confident in my shooting ability.

She is definitely capable. We'd do some more target practice with shooting slugs. But she already shoots guns and has a good understanding of bears. And let's be honest, it's more fun walking with a gun! Hahaha
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Can she come along without a licence if she doesn't carry a gun? Just bear spray.
No you can only access PUBLIC lands if you have a gun, a PAL and a hunting license......
come on man, think about what you just wrote......
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Can she come along without a licence if she doesn't carry a gun? Just bear spray?
Are you treaty and she whitey?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
No you can only access PUBLIC lands if you have a gun, a PAL and a hunting license......
come on man, think about what you just wrote......
She'd still be "helping" (carrying gear, processing the game, etc) and we are new to Alberta. Just trying to make sure I know all the new rules man. I'd rather ask then find out the hard way.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Are you treaty and she whitey?
Both Alberta residents. Neither have any FN status or relation.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Both Alberta residents. Neither have any FN status or relation.
Good to go.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Was out hunting 2 weeks back and was told by a fish cop it is illegal to carry a hunting riffle in the bush in hunting season with out a hunting licence . Buddy wanted to come along on a hunting trip but wanted to carry a riffle just for bear protection.
What were you hunting that you didn't have a license for? And if it was illegal why didn't he charge you? Seems very odd. Unless I'm misinterpreting your story.

If you are talking about green zone public land and not wildland parks, I believe you and your buddy can both carry non-restricted firearms wherever and whenever you want. He doesn't need a hunting license if he isn't hunting. But he really has to be not hunting, including not help you hunt, carrying your hunting gear, spotting, etc. Just along to watch. If someone is helping you, they need a license too.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I've been wondering this as well. My girlfriend wants to come along on a hunt for the trip aspect and hiking outside. She's not looking to kill anything. Without a licence, with no intent to pull the trigger on an animal.. Can she come along for the walk? If I've got my PAL and she's always by my side. Can she carry a shotgun for bear protection?
Coming along just for the walk (and nothing more, not helping you) and carrying a shotgun at your side? Sure, as long as you've got the PAL.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Coming along just for the walk (and nothing more, not helping you) and carrying a shotgun at your side? Sure, as long as you've got the PAL.
Agreed. But expect to be given a hard time at minimum. Carrying a firearm in the woods in the fall without a license, especially when with someone who IS hunting is looking for trouble.
kidd
Old 10-03-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Coyote
A Resident may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote on lands to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2017, or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date. In Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730) a Resident may hunt coyote from January 5, 2017 to February 28, 2017.

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote licence may hunt (but not trap) coyote on lands to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from opening day of a big game in a particular WMU to May 31, 2017, or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date.
What does it mean which he or she has the right to access to hunt does that mean just in the wmu's listed?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
What does it mean which he or she has the right to access to hunt does that mean just in the wmu's listed?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
? The listed ones you cannot go into, they are exceptions. What ever lands you have legal access to or permission on you can hunt.

LC
Old 10-03-2016, 04:04 PM

I always carry bear spray on my hip in bear country and I'd buy one for her. It's low odds that a hurried shot would hit the bear if the bear is charging unless the gun is in shooting position and the bear charges from the right direction. Maybe pellets in a shotgun with a wide open choke. Maybe.

Bear spray on the other hand is useful at close range and can be sprayed in the direction of the bear for as many as 30 seconds. That should give the intended prey (you) enough time to get a decent shot at the bear with the spray.

And my final thought is this - do you really want to try and explain a dead grizzly bear to the authorities? That is not a conversation I imagine will end without a lot stress given the status grizzly bears have. I am guessing the shooter would not be given the benefit of any doubt. So even if you managed to shoot the bear, you'd be in very deep kaka for a long time. I'd guess loss of hunting privileges for a few years along with instructions to take a bear aware course that includes training in using bear spray.

You say it's more fun hiking with a firearm? I must admit - it's fun because it's hunting but the gun gets heavy after a few hours. I'd welcome a porter to carry my gun if they thought it was fun.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I'm definitely confident in my shooting ability.

She is definitely capable. We'd do some more target practice with shooting slugs. But she already shoots guns and has a good understanding of bears. And let's be honest, it's more fun walking with a gun! Hahaha
Man o man are you kidding yourself " she's definitely capable" yes she's never hunted but has taken a few shots at paper targets so that makes her fully capable to accurately shoot a charging 300 pounds of black death coming at you faster than you can ever imaging thru thick brush. If your lucky she shoots you in the legs and you dont bleed out when she turns white and starts to run
Old 10-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Man o man are you kidding yourself " she's definitely capable" yes she's never hunted but has taken a few shots at paper targets so that makes her fully capable to accurately shoot a charging 300 pounds of black death coming at you faster than you can ever imaging thru thick brush. If your lucky she shoots you in the legs and you dont bleed out when she turns white and starts to run
Have you shot and killed a charging grizzly?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
I always carry bear spray on my hip in bear country and I'd buy one for her. It's low odds that a hurried shot would hit the bear if the bear is charging unless the gun is in shooting position and the bear charges from the right direction. Maybe pellets in a shotgun with a wide open choke. Maybe.

Bear spray on the other hand is useful at close range and can be sprayed in the direction of the bear for as many as 30 seconds. That should give the intended prey (you) enough time to get a decent shot at the bear with the spray.

And my final thought is this - do you really want to try and explain a dead grizzly bear to the authorities? That is not a conversation I imagine will end without a lot stress given the status grizzly bears have. I am guessing the shooter would not be given the benefit of any doubt. So even if you managed to shoot the bear, you'd be in very deep kaka for a long time. I'd guess loss of hunting privileges for a few years along with instructions to take a bear aware course that includes training in using bear spray.

You say it's more fun hiking with a firearm? I must admit - it's fun because it's hunting but the gun gets heavy after a few hours. I'd welcome a porter to carry my gun if they thought it was fun.
You sound anti-gun.... a bunch of suggestions they would be better off counting on luck of not seeing a bear vs. Them having completely reasonable tools at hand to protect themselves. You think getting attacked by a bear and being powerless to protect your loved one is better than the possible stress of dealing with an investigation into self defense against a wild animal predator?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
You sound anti-gun.... a bunch of suggestions they would be better off counting on luck of not seeing a bear vs. Them having completely reasonable tools at hand to protect themselves. You think getting attacked by a bear and being powerless to protect your loved one is better than the possible stress of dealing with an investigation into self defense against a wild animal predator?
Anti-gun? Wow. That's a new one.

If perchance a bear charges, the odds of protecting anyone with pepper spray is very high. It's time tested and proven effective numerous times.

Hitting a charging bear with any firearm is not only likely to be very difficult under the stress, but is not likely to be a killing shot if the bear was even hit. I am not anti gun (whatever that might be) as much as I am pro-life. Pepper spray is proven bear defense. Hunting rifle? High risk.

Even police rifles have no scope because shooting with a scope is time consuming and they are trying to hit comparable size targets.

Anyone that is encouraged to think they can shoot a charging bear with a scoped rifle is being misled.

Save the personal comments. Address the issue raised by the OP - would carrying a gun make his partner safer (because it's certainly legal even if they don't have a PAL)?

I obviously think he is asking the wrong question and should be asking what is the best way to defend a bear attack.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Thats not what OP asked. He asked if it is legal for a non hunter to carry a rifle for extra protection against bears. If bear spray fails and you have the option to use a rifle that you are legally carrying, then the option is there. Carry it.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 AM

Why is it that the OP just can't get a straight answer on this forum? So disappointing reading some of these replies.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclassic View Post
Why is it that the OP just can't get a straight answer on this forum? So disappointing reading some of these replies.
He did...you can carry a rifle at all times in the wilderness if you have a PAL or are with an adult who has a PAL and you are within arms reach, but you cannot hunt bears at all times. You cannot hunt bears on crown land without a license or tags but you can hunt coyotes most times....you can also protect yourself if required. Put two and two together to get your answer.

LC
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
Anti-gun? Wow. That's a new one.

If perchance a bear charges, the odds of protecting anyone with pepper spray is very high. It's time tested and proven effective numerous times.

Hitting a charging bear with any firearm is not only likely to be very difficult under the stress, but is not likely to be a killing shot if the bear was even hit. I am not anti gun (whatever that might be) as much as I am pro-life. Pepper spray is proven bear defense. Hunting rifle? High risk.

Even police rifles have no scope because shooting with a scope is time consuming and they are trying to hit comparable size targets.

Anyone that is encouraged to think they can shoot a charging bear with a scoped rifle is being misled.

Save the personal comments. Address the issue raised by the OP - would carrying a gun make his partner safer (because it's certainly legal even if they don't have a PAL)?

I obviously think he is asking the wrong question and should be asking what is the best way to defend a bear attack.
Pardon? Police rifles sans scopes? Police forces commonly use C7/C8 carbines...................scoped................. ......with minimal or zero magnification..................in order to quickly acquire targets. Nothing improper with carrying a gun in the woods. A short barrelled 12 guage would be my choice though...
Old 10-04-2016, 03:17 PM

I had this discussion with a friend on the weekend. If I am just out hiking (not hunting at all) AND it is ok to have a gun where I am, my Plan A is to make noise and avoid an encounter all together, Plan B is Bear Spray, Plan C is the Dominion Arms with slugs and 00 Buck.

I am a firm believer in Bear Spray and don't even take my dog out for a leak without it where I live. Its a great tool and everyone in predator country should carry it. My spray is on my hip and the gun is usually in the scabbard so I am more likely to get the spray off a lot faster than a shot. However, there are those times when wind covers your sound/scent and makes bear spray ineffective beyond a couple of meters so I choose to have the option of the gun where its legal. Its a last resort and so far every bear encounter I have had over the years resulted in no spray or shots fired but I feel better having it as a last resort option. I absolutely agree with everyone else who said if you have friends without a PAL and experience joining you, give them a can of bear spray and don't give a newb a shotgun.

I don't ever want the hassle of having to explain a dead or wounded grizz so that's why it would be a last resort. My biggest fear this time of year is walking into a bear on a gut pile so the likelihood of an encounter increases during big game hunting season. Protect yourself for sure but don't throw in the added risk of getting shot by a friend who doesn't know how to use a gun if you run into a bear. I'd rather a face full of bear spray as I work through my own options.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I think you should have asked him to quote what section of the Wildlife Act you were breaking. Chance are, he couldn't.