Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Cool Getting permission (rant)

Well, headed off to my ol faithful property to get permission to hunt partridge opening day. Morning was going good until I talked to the landowner. Seems they are in limbo over letting people on this year because of an issue last fall. These guys do it great with a form clearly stating the rules and what is expected of the hunter, you sign give your info all is well. Other then no litter and such one of the big rules is dont block gates or access points, I mean its pretty simple. An easy rule to follow, yet one guy blocked a gate and got his truck pulled outta the way. I dont know the details but all I know is he tried to or took the landowners to court over the ordeal. And now one of the best landowners Iv met to date (in regards to how they allow access and such) may not let people on because of this clown

Its really frustrating trying to get permission now-a-days because of people shooting things and all that bad stuff, but to block a gate and be a dink about it grrrr. Like come on you dont go and block peoples driveways do you?!?

Anyways on a lighter note, I did get permission on some of what I consider as possibly the best pheasant habitat in southern AB

Does anyone have any tips on finding new partridge lands?? I have a few places where iv seen em along the coulee tops. Its hard to explain how awesome my go to place is for partridge, and I mostly want to take my dog hunting as she deserves to go and its her thing lol. Im at a complete toss up to whether I should chase partridge and hit up many properties in pursuit of those tiny speedy suckers. OR if I should head out to 305 and chase grouse and rabbits, and PO the bow hunters cause Im out there shooting my shotty. Dont care what the bowhunters think, but im sure if I ran into some id hear a mouthful (have in the past) Its getting so close to the season and the dog is bugging me and im getting stoked, there are so many questions and options and things to do! WHERE DOES A GUY START (not angry, just pulling my hair out trying to plan lol)
Old 08-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Default No shortage of Huns

Lots round Keho

Lots south of cardston
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM

Find some crown land, grab the shot gun and take the dog for a walk. You'll both enjoy it, even if you don't find a bunch of birds.
You might even discover your next "honey hole".
RBH
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your situation. Plenty of ruffed grouse / spruce grouse / snowshoe hares in the boreal forest. The fact that you are from Lethbridge might restrict you to private land. After all, how long are you willing to drive for a day of hunting? I try not to travel more than 1hr one way.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Pretty exotic post

We got refused on a couple spots ,we have been hunting for years...
We just went and knocked on doors ,found some more ....never mentioned it on here.... Never thought of it .....we were refused because tresspassing
Deer hunters did some damage ,so everyone was out .

And we got aflat tire ,my dog went lame ,my wife made lunch on stale bread
And a whole bunch of other bad things.....Sooooo anyone want to tell me
Where I might get permission to shoot some pheasants....
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Well, headed off to my ol faithful property to get permission to hunt partridge opening day. Morning was going good until I talked to the landowner. Seems they are in limbo over letting people on this year because of an issue last fall. These guys do it great with a form clearly stating the rules and what is expected of the hunter, you sign give your info all is well. Other then no litter and such one of the big rules is dont block gates or access points, I mean its pretty simple. An easy rule to follow, yet one guy blocked a gate and got his truck pulled outta the way. I dont know the details but all I know is he tried to or took the landowners to court over the ordeal. And now one of the best landowners Iv met to date (in regards to how they allow access and such) may not let people on because of this clown

Its really frustrating trying to get permission now-a-days because of people shooting things and all that bad stuff, but to block a gate and be a dink about it grrrr. Like come on you dont go and block peoples driveways do you?!?

Anyways on a lighter note, I did get permission on some of what I consider as possibly the best pheasant habitat in southern AB

Does anyone have any tips on finding new partridge lands?? I have a few places where iv seen em along the coulee tops. Its hard to explain how awesome my go to place is for partridge, and I mostly want to take my dog hunting as she deserves to go and its her thing lol. Im at a complete toss up to whether I should chase partridge and hit up many properties in pursuit of those tiny speedy suckers. OR if I should head out to 305 and chase grouse and rabbits, and PO the bow hunters cause Im out there shooting my shotty. Dont care what the bowhunters think, but im sure if I ran into some id hear a mouthful (have in the past) Its getting so close to the season and the dog is bugging me and im getting stoked, there are so many questions and options and things to do! WHERE DOES A GUY START (not angry, just pulling my hair out trying to plan lol)
Are you serious....bowhunters had words with you because of you hunting with your shotgun? Who do they think they are?? WOW
Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Are you serious....bowhunters had words with you because of you hunting with your shotgun? Who do they think they are?? WOW
Well technically I set up my elk camp 2 days before the rifle season started, and encountered 2 different bow hunters. One gave me a pretty decent warning about being where I was. And ill qoute "Your lucky you caught me on a good day other wise you might not be so lucky to still be camped here, your also lucky my buddy didnt come in, instead I did. Next time you wont be so lucky" The other guy wasnt so brash but pretty much went the same way. I have a hard time trusting an elk bow hunter to be a reasonable person (I know its a wide brush, but iv only met 2 and they were the same way) And this was only days before rifle season started not the day bow season started. I could only imagine what they would do with a shotty blasting all morning
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
Find some crown land, grab the shot gun and take the dog for a walk. You'll both enjoy it, even if you don't find a bunch of birds.
You might even discover your next "honey hole".
RBH
Find some crown land lmao funniest thing iv heard There is 2 pheasant release sites within an hour or so of where Im at. The rest is private as long as the eye can see and beyond. Cant "just go for a walk" gotta get permission first
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. Plenty of ruffed grouse / spruce grouse / snowshoe hares in the boreal forest. The fact that you are from Lethbridge might restrict you to private land. After all, how long are you willing to drive for a day of hunting? I try not to travel more than 1hr one way.
To answer your ? I may end up going about 2 hrs to get to some grouse territory, possibly a lil further and get up high and try for some blues. You northerns dont know how good you have it coming from whitecourt it was a big shock coming to the land im at now
Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Lots round Keho

Lots south of cardston
Keho I cant see (sorry) lol for how much waterfowl scouting we do around there, never seen a hun at all! I was told that a guy I know seen a rooster not far from picture butte for the first time in 20 years may be a good sign??

South of cardston, never hunted that way, may have to spend a day and take a drive Just sucks people have to be tools and screw it up for the good folk
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

Well, if you go high enough into the mountains you could find a ptarmigan or two. Just pick them up and wring their necks and into the bag lol.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
Well, if you go high enough into the mountains you could find a ptarmigan or two. Just pick them up and wring their necks and into the bag lol.
No fun for the dog that way
Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Lol making rants all over the place. Face book, AO forum, text meSsages. Man you must be ****ed
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post
Lol making rants all over the place. Face book, AO forum, text meSsages. Man you must be ****ed
Yea, stupid people get to me what can I say ....... you owe me a beer btw
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I have a hard time trusting an elk bow hunter to be a reasonable person (I know its a wide brush, but iv only met 2 and they were the same way)
I know you hunt 305 just like I do, although I exclusively bowhunt there. In the short couple of seasons I've hunted there, calling 95% of the people that are out there during the bow season "elk bow hunters" would be a stretch. I prefer to call them "dune buggy drag racers with bow racks on their quad and hoochie mama yodel tubes under their arm who race to the first bugle before its legal to drive the quad and scare everything away people". Well, what I actually call them would get me a timeout, but you get the drift. I won't miss the nonsense once I am able to re-locate back to the SE. Land access may be a bit more of an issue there, but the hunting is most certainly more peaceful.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Permission comes and goes...land changes hands etc.
Try again next year.
In the mean time search around and maintain a good reference with the other guy.

Happens to everyone.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 PM

Winger. Anyone who has hunted for a few years encounters these things.
Keep looking. It's worth it!
Permission does come and go and come again.
Time to expand your haunts.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Default Yea good ole 305

Best to hunt private land there.

It's a pretty silly place come now season on crown land.

Huns really are plentiful around Keho.

Farms around Grassy lake are good bets too.

Lost access just means more 'hunting'
Enjoy it.

And savor the rewarding feeling of finding new area.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Best to hunt private land there.

It's a pretty silly place come now season on crown land.

Huns really are plentiful around Keho.

Farms around Grassy lake are good bets too.

Lost access just means more 'hunting'
Enjoy it.

And savor the rewarding feeling of finding new area.
Yea private land is a GREAT thing to have out there, considering most of it is no vehicle access so that alone keeps alot of guys off

Now that it is a new day and the beer is outta my system, im still not happy about the potential loss of land BUT hopefully for the opening day we can get on some birds...... Got some maple bacon in mind for those super delish tasty bites MMMMMM
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefisher2885 View Post
I know you hunt 305 just like I do, although I exclusively bowhunt there. In the short couple of seasons I've hunted there, calling 95% of the people that are out there during the bow season "elk bow hunters" would be a stretch. I prefer to call them "dune buggy drag racers with bow racks on their quad and hoochie mama yodel tubes under their arm who race to the first bugle before its legal to drive the quad and scare everything away people". Well, what I actually call them would get me a timeout, but you get the drift. I won't miss the nonsense once I am able to re-locate back to the SE. Land access may be a bit more of an issue there, but the hunting is most certainly more peaceful.
True that My partner pulled his cow tag, sure will be nice to tag along in december and run the hills with no-one out there, ahhhhh, nice and peacful