Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Default How to scout waterfowl?

Hey all,

Last year was my first year hunting waterfowl. I spent my time at Weed Lake and some time at Frank Lake last year. I didn't know where to look for ducks or how to do it, so I stuck to public land and hoped that ducks flew in.

This year I want to start scouting the birds and finding a few other areas to go. I just don't know how to go about doing this.

What time of day do I go looking for ducks? And generally where would I look?

What kinds of maps do I need to determine if land is private/public/ag lease etc...? and where do I get them?

What steps should be taken to get permission on private land?

I live in Calgary, don't know if that makes a difference at all.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Look in the sky lol
Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

You" ll need to find the county or RM you want to hunt , thenGo to a town in that county and the town office should have county maps for sale ussually for 12- 20$ a map. Ducks are on the move earlier then the geese. First light. My crew and I just do field hunts I personally have been making lists of guys I know with peas and barley fields close to water holes.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Ducks fly off the big water before first light. Get to a big body of water that you know holds ducks. Get there at least 45 minutes BEFORE SUNRISE! if possible situate yourself so you are looking east at the big water. Watch them leave the lake and follow them.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
You" ll need to find the county or RM you want to hunt , thenGo to a town in that county and the town office should have county maps for sale ussually for 12- 20$ a map. Ducks are on the move earlier then the geese. First light. My crew and I just do field hunts I personally have been making lists of guys I know with peas and barley fields close to water holes.
I hear ducks go wild for corn, any experience? Haven't seen many corn fields here...
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM

When I think of scouting for waterfowl, I think of geography. I ask myself questions such as ~

Where in the area I wish to hunt would I go to land if I was a bird? Is there anything here that may bring me in (decoy spread creation)?

What aspects of this place appeals to the bird? (Are jump shooting opportunities present?)

Where would birds seek respite in this area? Is there food for these birds? (A sort of combination in my mind of both of the above aspects.)

These creatures have a profound level of mobility and are truly glorious! Scouting for them can be much more challenging than doing so for territorial animals. I like to seek research into their flyways and try to align my areas with where the highest numbers of animals may be present. If ten birds a day fly by an area, my odds of getting these birds in range are lower drastically than if 10,000 birds fly through the area.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
I hear ducks go wild for corn, any experience? Haven't seen many corn fields here...
The only corn around here is left standing for winter grazing for cattle, I don't beleive attracts waterfowl unless it was harvested or silaged. Barley still seems to be a favorite for ducks , and pea fields seem to attract ducks and geese. One of the best duck shoots I was ever on was on a harvested field of winter wheat the ducks we thick in there . Eating the green second growth in late sept.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Had an awesome late October field shoot for Mallards last year in standing corn. No need for a blind!

When it comes to scouting waterfowl, we spend more time scouting than we do hunting them. Usually we pattern the birds for a few days before we set up. Grab some binoculars, put yourself in the general vicinity of the roost and watch for birds in the sky. Repeat.

-Craig
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Scouting tough

This year lots of water....too much canola .....if you. Know where
There are peas or barley keep an eye on them....Last year snow came way too early. East of Calgary Birds just moved on through .
Geese will stay out longer than ducks during the day..the later the season....the more spooky they are . Also are they locals or migrators .
I have had some great duck hunts waiting for the geesev to show up To some degree
You have to pick an area and hang your hat on it . I will start looking pretty soon
For crop types , harvest progress , permission contact.. I am seeing big famillies
So early season hunts should be good .
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Smile Pretty good advice

They fly before first light. Wind is your best friend, they won't buck a strong wind to fly far into it. Peas and barley on the ground or after the combine has gone through. A county map is great, many are on line.

Modern farming and expensive gas, has made most harvesting one pass, so being able to recognize Barley from Rye, peas from Canola, will help you a lot.

The fly near dark too, you will see them comimg back to the big water, follow them back.

You will meet other hunters doing the same thing, we were always able to work together.

Welcome
Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 AM

Thumbs up

All good advice so far....

Here is mine.
Invest in some quality binoculars if you havent already. Also a GPS that you can mark waypoints, especially if you are scouting areas foreign to you.

Generally the bigger water bodies attract more birds for roosting and these will freeze up the latest as well. That is not always the rule though as I have seen some small-medium sloughs spilling over with birds, the large lake down the road was almost empty. The food source was adjacent to the water so the birds roosted next door to it.

One more....I always have the rural phonebook in the truck.

Last edited by Zekeland; 08-09-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the tips!

Looks like I will be getting up early and doing a bunch of driving in the next few weeks. Hopefully it will lead to some awesome hunts this season!

Matt