Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Funny things heard while afield??

Dunno if this will take off like the "behind the gun counter" thread. But im bored so I think ill start this up and see where it goes.

My story started in 305, after hiking into the back basins of my elk spot. about 8 or 9km from the road. Iv seen a few cows and spikers this morning so far. Its getting close to about an hour or so after daylight. Im watching a hillside and I hear rrrrr vroooommmmm rrrrrrr vroom vroom, here comes this truck near where I was sitting coming down the farmers trail (no motorized access). Well knowing elk and there skittishness for engines and such my morning is shot so I go and talk to the guy. He asks the typical "see anything" Yeah of course I did, I see elk EVERYTIME im out here. Then it happens the funniest thing iv heard while afield. He goes "iv hunted out here for 14-15years and havent seen much, we seen a cow a couple years back but she was like 250yrds away, to far for the ol 308"

I did get a lil ignorant and stated "maybe if they got out and walked a bit instead of driving around in a no motorized access hoping to sneak up on elk with an old dodge and bad muffler they would do better" got the finger and some fine words (they were reported to the landowners)
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Gone Hunting

was out about 1/2 mile west of my place watching the birds leave the water, truck pulls up behind me (Washington plates), says " what are you doing here?". I say watching the birds, he gets huffy and tells me that he has permission in all directions as far as the eye can see!!! I said "really?, not on mine or my neighbors land I don't think?", madder (red faced) he says who are you and where do you live?...I pointed over my shoulder and showed him my shop, and said , if you had permission, you would know my friggin' name!!...they weren't back, I would imagine their "outfitter" got an earful that night....lol...
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
was out about 1/2 mile west of my place watching the birds leave the water, truck pulls up behind me (Washington plates), says " what are you doing here?". I say watching the birds, he gets huffy and tells me that he has permission in all directions as far as the eye can see!!! I said "really?, not on mine or my neighbors land I don't think?", madder (red faced) he says who are you and where do you live?...I pointed over my shoulder and showed him my shop, and said , if you had permission, you would know my friggin' name!!...they weren't back, I would imagine their "outfitter" got an earful that night....lol...
Hahaha, that was probably a good morning coffee enjoyment. Gotta love guys like that
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Hahaha, that was probably a good morning coffee enjoyment. Gotta love guys like that
actually the poor guy was likely told that from his guide...( I use that term very loosely)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
actually the poor guy was likely told that from his guide...( I use that term very loosely)
Well I was referring to the "dude" he knows, saves the rest of the actual guides
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM

Not really funny but one of the most interesting things I heard was while I was on a trip into Richards Creek just off the Prophet River in BC. It was almost dark and I was sitting a couple hundred yards off the horse trail when I heard a wailing sound coming up the valley. As it got closer I realized it was a native guide of the outfitter singing his heart out while trailing a hunter and a couple pack horses up the valley. He was singing a native song of some kind and it was pretty cool i thought. They stopped a couple hundred yards away from me for a moment and I watched through my binos as the hunter got off his horse and pulled a bottle out of the saddle bag and had a good pull, which he also offered to the guide. I don't know if he sang for the hunters entertainment or to scare bears off the trail but I will never forget it, that's for sure. Thought I would share that in the hopes that someone might enjoy that story.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Not really funny but one of the most interesting things I heard was while I was on a trip into Richards Creek just off the Prophet River in BC. It was almost dark and I was sitting a couple hundred yards off the horse trail when I heard a wailing sound coming up the valley. As it got closer I realized it was a native guide of the outfitter singing his heart out while trailing a hunter and a couple pack horses up the valley. He was singing a native song of some kind and it was pretty cool i thought. They stopped a couple hundred yards away from me for a moment and I watched through my binos as the hunter got off his horse and pulled a bottle out of the saddle bag and had a good pull, which he also offered to the guide. I don't know if he sang for the hunters entertainment or to scare bears off the trail but I will never forget it, that's for sure. Thought I would share that in the hopes that someone might enjoy that story.
great story!!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I was sitting on the edge of one of my alfalfa fields waiting for a whitetail to show up. It was the northern edge of one of my quarters of land with just a 75 yard strip of bush between the field and the undeveloped county right of way. On the other side of that was more private property...not mine.

I was in camo sitting on my hi-vis vest and when I take a peek east down the edge of the field here comes a hunter wearing blaze orange. After watching him progress slowly towards me I sat up enough so I could slip my hi-vis vest on so he could easily see me.

Once he see me from about 30 yards away he shoulders his rifle and walks over to me and says "Well, you sittin' here kind of ruined my hunt this evening." So I said to him "It's a big field, no reason two of us can't sit here and watch it together."

He ignores that and says "Any of the deer that come through the trees behind you are coming off of my place. You don't hunt that way do you?" (Now I know who he is and I know he is a weekend acreage owner)

I said "I sometimes sit on the right of way and watch towards the east but it is pretty overgrown and hard to see so I prefer to sit and watch the field." He says "Well don't be hunting past the right of way cause that is my property. Do you have permission to hunt here?

I tell him "Yes, I have permission to hunt here. Do you?" He replies "Hell yeah, I have hunted here for years." I asked him "So you and the land owner here trade permission to hunt on each others property?" and he replies "Yeah, thats how it works in the country". I grinned and said "Okay, that's cool".

He says "Well, enough yakking, I think I'll let you hunt this field and I will go find somewhere else to hunt." I thanked him and he walked away. I never did tell him and for some odd reason I still find it funny to this very day.

I haven't bumped into him in many years but I have seen the occassional boot print that doesn't belong to family. He might not get the same reception if one of my daughters discover him when they are out hunting though...lol
Regards,
Dave.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM

About ten years ago I was out hunting with a friend. We needed to turn around to park the truck. I came too close to the ditch and slipped in. Greasy clay and a film of wet snow and two wheel drive truck don't go together. At that moment a red ford one ton flew by us, guy gawkin' away at us trying to make 'er out. About five minutes into our effort to make it out, this blue suburban came buy and winched us out. (Turns out we became buddies to this say.) we thanked him, turned around and parked onto an approached. I walked into the field where we were tu hunt and there stood a 5x10 ( which is now on my wall). I let the air out of 'em and watched him drop. What a sight! I tagged him and proceeded to get the truck to haul him out. As we began to drive into the approach of the field the same red ford which ignored us while we were stuck nearly T-bonned us and cut us off. Buddy gets out of the truck and throws a fit! You shot my deer bla bla bla...you have no right and no permission to be here bla bla bla... I asked him who he was. He didn't say. What he didn't know was that I had a letter from the land owner (like I always do) stating I have permission. Anyhow I asked him to meet at his house to further discuss the problem. He pretended to drive to the actual land owners place place just before the house he pined 'er. What a joke.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks Hal
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM

"Last year I shot a couple 20lb honkers....made those regular 15 lb'ers look like Mosquitos"
Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
"Last year I shot a couple 20lb honkers....made those regular 15 lb'ers look like Mosquitos"
I have a pic of a goose that took 2 guys to drag it, ill see if I can find it
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 PM

Couple years ago I was talking to a fellow who I found out was poaching and when I pointed it out that the deer he had shot were illegal (and showed him in the regs that I keep in my truck) he tried to argue with me. I handed him the regs and told him to show me where it said I was wrong, his response "I saw it in my regs so I'm right and you're wrong" he took off right away. I was left scratching my head as his arguement was that he had a "special" regulations book
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

Moose don't have eyelids...lol

My fav is when you find guys tracking herds of "elk" then accusing the cattle they keep finding...of scaring them all away.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Was September elk hunting looking over a large slough that is really thick bush on the opposite from me. Was about 15 minutes before ending legal light. Heard a high pitched scream coming from across the lake. It went off every 30 seconds or so and i could tell it was moving from west to east along the lake. !0 minutes later out comes a cougar making the noise as it walked along the creek. Its hard to describe the sound but you never forget it once you hear it! made the hairs on my neck stand up! I thought for sure bigfoot was going to walk out!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM

My buddy and I were hunting on a the base in 248 walking along the fence line towards the alfalfa field when I spotted a small spike off to my left, we got low and attempted to skirt past him as I wasn't interested in harvesting him. That's when I heard it for the first time..."I'm not going to let you shoot that deer?" confused and assuming he thought I was too close to the road to shoot he yells again "I am not going to let you kill that deer in the view of everyone else driving by here it's wrong"...omg its an Anti i've heard of you ppl.

Well he proceeds to tell me how wrong we are and it's bad to hunt, I tell him to get back in his car and go home you don't have to watch. He says " I'm gonna stop your hunt" told him good luck you can't come in here it'll be trespassing his response "I'll go where I want" so he comes in on his second try cause I pushed him off the fence the first time and I call Range control and the MPs in the meantime he asks me " are you so poor that you need to hunt for your food?" I asked him if he ate meat, of course he does, so does his dog, cause he gets his meat the ethical way at the store.

well the cops show up, tell them my side about pushing him, well hunt ruined...on my way back to the truck, I saw the biggest 10pnt i've ever seen and he was coming straight at us, caught in the middle of the field he busted us.....but he's still there.

Stik'em
Old 08-07-2013, 02:18 AM

I was combing the bush the day I got my first 22, and was walking in a friend of the family's wooded area. I get in there, and I hear this sound, and I am damn sure in my head its the sound of a grouse, theres this thump thump thumping sound, and it sounds exactly like all the chest beating is described in the books.

So Off I go, pushing on towards this grouse. Now I have prairie chicken on the mind,
but am a bit nervous, as it is really my first time alone with a firearm. So I am walking towards this sound, safety on, muzzle in safe direction, but trying to be as sneaky as I can.

This goes on for almost 20 minutes, and I am surprised at how loud this bird is getting,
IT MUST BE HUGE! I am already planning the feast, and I know dad will be beaming when I bring it back, and the beating is just getting louder, and faster! At one point I am worried its my own heart.

So I approach the end of the tree line, the adrenaline is flowing, and just as I peak out to see where my trophy grouse is.
What do I find?
Is it a Boone and Crockett grouse, with wings 2 feet long and enough meat on it to feed me for a week?

Nope.

Instead, there is a man,nothing but his tighty not so whiteys on, pony tail and all, beating the hell out of this old skin drum.
Turns out he had been squatting there for almost a month, had a little tarp tent and everything. Startled and shocked me, but not nearly as much as it did him.
Never seen a hippie throw a drum so fast!

When he calmed down and realized I wasnt threatening him

So he said he was packing up and moving on, he had thought it was crown land, and was just out there smoking dope and finding nature as he put it. I walky-talkied the house, let dad know what I came across, and he came and got me on the quad lickety split. We gave the fellow and his stuff a ride in the back of the truck to the crown land that was close, but made a note of it and told the F&WCO when we got back.

Did not end up with a trophy grouse, but sure as hell was a memorable lesson in being sure of what is your target, and whats behind it!

Last edited by 1000yards; 08-07-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

My best friends cousin reading regulations at 12 " dad what the *%%* does it mean leave evidence of sex this is got to be a joke right"
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM

My buddy and I got drawn in '92 in 410 for sheep.
On the Sunday, we were up all day in Cougar canyon checking stuff out.
We decided we better get down off the mountain because of the weather , and it was tarting to get dark when we hit the bottom , and we ran into four people heading UP Cougar creek??!!

" Howdy,you might reconsider heading up the mountain right now, it's getting late!" I said

" You shouldn't be hunting, it's bad" one of the girls said.

" Are you serious? iIcould care less what you are going to do up there, but the LAST thing you should concern yourself with is whether or not we are hunting, which we are not! You should be more concerned about the snow storm and the dark, but if you wanna bitch about me go ahead, ya silly city slicker!"
Cat
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM

I hunting 305 back in the day when mule deer was 3 points or better. I was heading back to the truck as it was almost dark. Bumped into a young guy dragging a small two point. I stopped to talk to him and he was happier than a young bull with 3 cows. He told me all about his hunt and how he got this monster mullie. I figured if I told him it was not legal he would just leave it there. I said damn I left my bino's hanging on a post gotta go back. I did this to get out of helping him drag the deer. Good luck getting that home I said as I walked away. He had this silly what the hell you talkin' about look on his face. He didn't make it, passed through a check stop and they had him pulled over out of the line.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM

The guy that was bragging that he's killed 70 or 80 bucks over 180"..... Oh wait tht was you winger7mm! Haha
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I was combing the bush the day I got my first 22, and was walking in a friend of the family's wooded area. I get in there, and I hear this sound, and I am damn sure in my head its the sound of a grouse, theres this thump thump thumping sound, and it sounds exactly like all the chest beating is described in the books.

So Off I go, pushing on towards this grouse. Now I have prairie chicken on the mind,
but am a bit nervous, as it is really my first time alone with a firearm. So I am walking towards this sound, safety on, muzzle in safe direction, but trying to be as sneaky as I can.

This goes on for almost 20 minutes, and I am surprised at how loud this bird is getting,
IT MUST BE HUGE! I am already planning the feast, and I know dad will be beaming when I bring it back, and the beating is just getting louder, and faster! At one point I am worried its my own heart.

So I approach the end of the tree line, the adrenaline is flowing, and just as I peak out to see where my trophy grouse is.
What do I find?
Is it a Boone and Crockett grouse, with wings 2 feet long and enough meat on it to feed me for a week?

Nope.

Instead, there is a man,nothing but his tighty not so whiteys on, pony tail and all, beating the hell out of this old skin drum.
Turns out he had been squatting there for almost a month, had a little tarp tent and everything. Startled and shocked me, but not nearly as much as it did him.
Never seen a hippie throw a drum so fast!

When he calmed down and realized I wasnt threatening him

So he said he was packing up and moving on, he had thought it was crown land, and was just out there smoking dope and finding nature as he put it. I walky-talkied the house, let dad know what I came across, and he came and got me on the quad lickety split. We gave the fellow and his stuff a ride in the back of the truck to the crown land that was close, but made a note of it and told the F&WCO when we got back.

Did not end up with a trophy grouse, but sure as hell was a memorable lesson in being sure of what is your target, and whats behind it!
Haha too funny!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Crazy things....

My cousin wanted some sounds of loons for recording special effects so we went into kananaskis and we were on a lake and he had everything all set up for recording including the amplification sound dishes...kind of like binos for noise....

Recording lonn sounds and then hear some strange noises in background...huffing and grunting...etc... we turn the dish and sure enough....

what we got was not really PG rated and was some folks involved in some extra curricular activity.... We left to another lake... we still laugh at this...

another one

I was hunting some land where I had permission and a "bolack dodge dually" shows up the guy gets out and asks if I have permission. I played country dumb and said I think so...whose place is this... the guy starts telling me he owns it and starts giving me a chewin... I continued playing country dumb and apologetic and eating sand.

Meanwhile My Dad starts heading over on the tractor and this starts getting antsy and starts leaving but could not as Dad was blocking the trail.... My Dad comes up and asks me what is haopoening and I said Dad this a--hole is chewing me out for hunting on "His Land..."

Then I watched my Dad chew the guy out for awhile and then informed him his pickup and plate number is going to be given to every neighbour and he will never get permission in the area.

I had another one too!...

I was visiting my uncle and he had geese flying onto his place so of course he let me go after them. After awhile a second guy comes out and he stryuts on up to my blind and tells me that i should not be there as he had "exclusive permission" I said I see, well you can join me and we can hunt together or you can go hunt where you want. he started chewing me out for trespassing and I said, "how about we go talk to my uncle" after that he calmed down and decided that it was ok if I hunted there just not on weekends... I talkked to my uncle and found out that these guys were paying him to allow them to hunt there. he did not know that was illegal and he could get in trouble. (he is a farmer not a lawyer or hunter). After that he shut all hunters down.

Ok here is a weird one. I was hunting near an area where I had permission near a major roadway. (I was legal as I was far enough away) on a pond I had dropped in two bales for a blind...again with landowner permission (another relative). I took a guy out from work for some waterfowl shooting and we are in the blind and this crazy skinny guy comes over from the roadway and said he was a "professional competitive coyote hunter" and that he was hunting there on weekend with permission when the local city SWAT team tackled him and arrested him becaise he was using firearms there. My buddy is getting all worried and decides he no longer wants to hunt there. I called the guy a full out BS'r (ok so I was not tactful) and said I have never had any issues and it is land owned by relatives. I asked for his name and then looked through my binos and got his plate number and said I was reporting him to the police as it is illegal to trespass and interefere with hunters in pursuit of game. he took off and all i could see was dust. After it was over I was wondering WTF is a professional competitive coyote hunter and how does one get a gig like that!...

I have run into some starnge people especially working in forestry when you run into a lost, stoned out hippy. I had dogs sicced on me a few times in forestry, or come across some weirdo living in a cave on the banks of a river who had twigs trees and everything all tied up like the Blair Witch Project...Turns out that guy was actually crazy.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
My cousin wanted some sounds of loons for recording special effects so we went into kananaskis and we were on a lake and he had everything all set up for recording including the amplification sound dishes...kind of like binos for noise....

Recording lonn sounds and then hear some strange noises in background...huffing and grunting...etc... we turn the dish and sure enough....

what we got was not really PG rated and was some folks involved in some extra curricular activity.... We left to another lake... we still laugh at this...

another one

I was hunting some land where I had permission and a "bolack dodge dually" shows up the guy gets out and asks if I have permission. I played country dumb and said I think so...whose place is this... the guy starts telling me he owns it and starts giving me a chewin... I continued playing country dumb and apologetic and eating sand.

Meanwhile My Dad starts heading over on the tractor and this starts getting antsy and starts leaving but could not as Dad was blocking the trail.... My Dad comes up and asks me what is haopoening and I said Dad this a--hole is chewing me out for hunting on "His Land..."

Then I watched my Dad chew the guy out for awhile and then informed him his pickup and plate number is going to be given to every neighbour and he will never get permission in the area.

I had another one too!...

I was visiting my uncle and he had geese flying onto his place so of course he let me go after them. After awhile a second guy comes out and he stryuts on up to my blind and tells me that i should not be there as he had "exclusive permission" I said I see, well you can join me and we can hunt together or you can go hunt where you want. he started chewing me out for trespassing and I said, "how about we go talk to my uncle" after that he calmed down and decided that it was ok if I hunted there just not on weekends... I talkked to my uncle and found out that these guys were paying him to allow them to hunt there. he did not know that was illegal and he could get in trouble. (he is a farmer not a lawyer or hunter). After that he shut all hunters down.

Ok here is a weird one. I was hunting near an area where I had permission near a major roadway. (I was legal as I was far enough away) on a pond I had dropped in two bales for a blind...again with landowner permission (another relative). I took a guy out from work for some waterfowl shooting and we are in the blind and this crazy skinny guy comes over from the roadway and said he was a "professional competitive coyote hunter" and that he was hunting there on weekend with permission when the local city SWAT team tackled him and arrested him becaise he was using firearms there. My buddy is getting all worried and decides he no longer wants to hunt there. I called the guy a full out BS'r (ok so I was not tactful) and said I have never had any issues and it is land owned by relatives. I asked for his name and then looked through my binos and got his plate number and said I was reporting him to the police as it is illegal to trespass and interefere with hunters in pursuit of game. he took off and all i could see was dust. After it was over I was wondering WTF is a professional competitive coyote hunter and how does one get a gig like that!...

I have run into some starnge people especially working in forestry when you run into a lost, stoned out hippy. I had dogs sicced on me a few times in forestry, or come across some weirdo living in a cave on the banks of a river who had twigs trees and everything all tied up like the Blair Witch Project...Turns out that guy was actually crazy.
I had a guy tell me that Crow Lease was private property once so I'd better clear out.
I told him..I know...I just bought it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM

A good friend of mine, a coworker friend of his and myself were hunting north of Edgerton. The night before the hunt my buddies coworker was bragging about how far he can shoot and how he has shot tons of monster bucks.

The day of the hunt we are walking a cutline and a small doe jumps out in front of us. The marksman wanted to wanted to fill his supplemental tag so he decided to take the doe which was standing broadside at 100 yds. He drops the hammer and misses real bad.The doe didn't know where the shot came from started to run towards us and the guys proceeded to empty his clip. The last shot was with the deer no more than 25 yards from where we were standing. The doe trotted off without a scratch. As all of you know or have heard before it was the guns fault. Never hunted with the guy again.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
A good friend of mine, a coworker friend of his and myself were hunting north of Edgerton. The night before the hunt my buddies coworker was bragging about how far he can shoot and how he has shot tons of monster bucks.

The day of the hunt we are walking a cutline and a small doe jumps out in front of us. The marksman wanted to wanted to fill his supplemental tag so he decided to take the doe which was standing broadside at 100 yds. He drops the hammer and misses real bad.The doe didn't know where the shot came from started to run towards us and the guys proceeded to empty his clip. The last shot was with the deer no more than 25 yards from where we were standing. The doe trotted off without a scratch. As all of you know or have heard before it was the guns fault. Never hunted with the guy again.
I think I know that guy.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM

The funniest one I hear all the time "where did you shoot your elk" .... as if I'm going to divulge my secrets.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
The guy that was bragging that he's killed 70 or 80 bucks over 180"..... Oh wait tht was you winger7mm! Haha
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I think I know that guy.
Lol, we all know someone like that.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
About ten years ago I was out hunting with a friend. We needed to turn around to park the truck. I came too close to the ditch and slipped in. Greasy clay and a film of wet snow and two wheel drive truck don't go together. At that moment a red ford one ton flew by us, guy gawkin' away at us trying to make 'er out. About five minutes into our effort to make it out, this blue suburban came buy and winched us out. (Turns out we became buddies to this say.) we thanked him, turned around and parked onto an approached. I walked into the field where we were tu hunt and there stood a 5x10 ( which is now on my wall). I let the air out of 'em and watched him drop. What a sight! I tagged him and proceeded to get the truck to haul him out. As we began to drive into the approach of the field the same red ford which ignored us while we were stuck nearly T-bonned us and cut us off. Buddy gets out of the truck and throws a fit! You shot my deer bla bla bla...you have no right and no permission to be here bla bla bla... I asked him who he was. He didn't say. What he didn't know was that I had a letter from the land owner (like I always do) stating I have permission. Anyhow I asked him to meet at his house to further discuss the problem. He pretended to drive to the actual land owners place place just before the house he pined 'er. What a joke.
Huh??
Pics please.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!