Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Default 6.5x55

Swedish mauser. i just bought it last weekend, looking for input. good, bad ,fair hunting rifle. Was thinking of using it for deer. What weight of bullets should i buy. it's a bolt action. has a piece of junk scope on it but I'll throw that away and put on a good one. i do alot of shooting so, would this rifle be accurate out to 250-300 yds. i really wasn't looking for a rifle at the time, but it came up at an auction sale I was at and the price was decent(I figure).
Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Excellent deer cartridge for the distances you describe. Most any slug from 120 to 140gr will do the job on deer.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:18 PM

Agree with Bushrat's suggestion - Nosler's 125 grain and 140 grain Partitions do a fairly good job and then there is the 120 grain Ballistic Tip that I've been told works well too. Haven't tried the 130 grain Accubond yet, but performance should be similar to the Partition. Hornady has a few offerings available in their Interlock and Interbond lines. Swift, Barnes, Norma, and a few other manufacturers also have decent offerings from what I've been told.

Bottom line: try a few different bullets and see what your new rifle shoots best.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:36 PM

You can't go wrong with a 6.5X55. It can reliably take deer out to pretty much any reasonable range. I've used it or been present when it was used on about 6 deer now. I have yet to recover a bullet from any, distances varied from about 90yds out to a little over 200. I load 120gr Speers into the wifes and have loaded 140 and 129gr Hornady's both SST's and the Interlocks into my other two. If you pick your shots and keep your ranges down it will also work admirably on larger game as well. I actually just picked up a box of 130gr Accubonds for the the wife's rifle as she will most likely get her cow elk tag this year. There are other rifles available to her, but she is recoil sensitive and doesn't shoot anything nearly as well as her 6.5 and bullet placement is everything.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 AM

i bought my 6.5 years about 19 yrs ago when i was 13(i'm getting old) for $50 new ammo was hard to find then except for norma at $40 a box i did find a few boxxes of imperal kksp then the only time i could get ammo was at a gun show i gave it up when i ran out and bought my /06 about 5yrs later but in that time i killed my first big buck and analope my best kill was 450yrds white tail droped dead in less than 50 yrds. i loved that litte round it was nice to see remington offer it in a new rifle .a few years back i bought a chunk of light cherry wood and made a stock for it glass beded and turned the bolt i never did cut down the barrel i liked the accuacy of it just the way it was. i don't shoot it any more but that gun has alot of memorys