Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM

I thought this thread was about what makes us tick, what is the driving force about who we are and aspire to be. Sure we make mistakes along the way, some bad choices, but that was yesterday, its gone, tommorrow is not guaranteed, so we have today. "Sufficient for the day is the Evil therof" as our Creator says.

So move on pick ourselves up and carry on.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Shooter View Post
I think that some of the problems and thread deterioration stem from the difference of what is legal and what is ethical.
That is a key statement IMO. There is a huge difference between what is considered legal and what is considered ethical, and some people don't understand that. It is one thing to question/debate some of the grey areas of what may be considered ethical ie maximun shooting distances ect. It is a totally different thing to question/put down someone who is following the law to the letter (see Monster Ram thread). As someone already said, most of it probably comes from jealousy over hunting success, occupation or whatever.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:10 PM

DelburneDave: I obviously agree. We each may struggle with personal ethical issues for a particular situation that is perfectly legal. Who am I to judge another's lawful activity?

For example (and I will expose my own potential hypocrisy), in the “Hunters for the Hungry” thread, I struggled with my own personal ethics to Jamie’s question. How could I not be in favor of hunters donating their bounty or part of their bounty to those that are less fortunate?

I think my own opinion is based on the reasons why I personally choose to hunt and it is these reasons that make my hunt enjoyable. I realize that other hunters have different reasons and that they are legal and perhaps different than mine.

Every year I donate beef and other items to those less fortunate. I appreciate those hunters that help the less fortunate and understand the rationale in their decisions. They are engaged in a lawful and likely, a kindhearted pursuit. My own reasons for hunting are a bit different, not right or wrong, just different and my standard is the satisfaction and enjoyment of my hunt; as a result I can only judge myself. Regards, Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM

This may be a little off topic but I still think it's relevant.

Last season was my first hunting season on my own, it was also Dustin's and other friends our age as well. We all have just come out of college and are now out on our own. The only hunting I had ever done before was for the occasional grouse in the fall when my dad would take us out for something different to do on a nice fall day. Last season was one that I'll never forget, and this board played a pivitol role in helping to establish me and my fiance as hunters.

As most of you know we have 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. We bought Pocket with the intention to possibly do some recreational hunting, testing and trialing, but mostly as a companion and then got Dozer to help fulfill our needs as they grew.

So as opening day passed us and we waffled about the decision to hunt her, we decided to go hit up the sporting stores get some waterfowling gear and Dustin broke out his grandfather's beaten up 12ga wingmaster. I was just planning on being the sidekick to handle the dog. In all honesty I never had any intention of slinging some steel at any living creature.

While picking up some ammo and decoys a nice gentleman at Russel's gave us some wonderful advise and sent us in the right direction so the we could hopefully bag some game and be successful. So off we went for our first waterfowl hunt with 10mth old pup in tow.

Sitting at the edge of a lake we waited....I took a stab at calling and actually pulled in a few birds to shooting range, but as Dustin shot they zigged and zagged and no dice. Pocket wasn't too keen on that..bc with training something always fell on the shot, misses really spooked her and after an hr or so of misses she had enough and tried to go hide in the car. While loading up an Alberta Environment guy came down to take the dock out and saw us loading up and wanted to know about the dog and if we got anything. After talking to him for a while he sent us off to an AE canal with written permission and told us where he'd just seen some ducks, and he explained how he would sneek up on them. So off we went hoping to end the day in success. It did! We snuck up on two teals and as they rose off the water Dustin actually got both with the same shot! With one dead and one cripple Pocket was jumping out of her skin to chase the cripple down and we were whooping so loud any chance of getting any other waterfowl was out the window. But wow my heart was racing, now to see if the dog's got it in her. I can't believe I ever even doubted her.

When we got home we were so pumped, we called the breeder, sent pictures to her and showed the pics to all of our family! Also I had bought an AO magazine at Russel's upon the advice of the till clerk. So I was flipping through it and saw info about reader's submitting pics and stories. I ended up chickening out from intimidation; after all it is called Alberta Outdoorsmen and I'm a complete nube and a chick. But what I did find was this message board and after reading some posts I bit the bullet and joined. Shared my joy with you guys from that first hunt and much to my surprise when I asked for some help in getting direction to any other possible waterfowl hunting spots you guys jumped right on it and helped us out!

So off we go to find some more birds for the next few months. After a successful hunt I'd come home and hop on the computer, upload the pics and very happily share our success and stories with fellow hunters. It is such a good feeling to hear the congrats, nice pictures, etc from people who really do appreciate it and understand why it was exciting! After a few trips I got bit by the bug and wanted to not just be on the outside looking in posting of what Dustin and other friends did. I wanted some glory too! So just to make sure I'd even like it, we busted out the ancient 20ga and I shot my first duck. Well after I did a happy dance and got so pumped it was obvious I was hooked! More than once while out in the field we had other hunters help us out by telling us where to go or how to hunt a specific spot, what gear we needed etc. The commraderie was amazing and surprised me to no end, it just wasn't what I expected but we were very greatful for the help. We actually once ended up hunting with another party and worked together so that both parties could be successful. It was a great feeling.

Now after being on here we started seeing pictures of deer and moose and following dunzilla's thread we wanted to take a stab at something that didn't have wings. And even though we ate tag soup it was a wonderful experience.

Even though we are very new to this I know it is something that we want to do until they drag me 6ft under. I would much rather spend the day out walking, stalking, sitting, and shooting with family and friends than out at the bar, or on the couch.

There is so much more to hunting than actually getting the game; it's the beauty of getting a wonderful drake in full plummage, or seeing my dogs shake with anticipation as the ducks are coming in to the dekes on a clear fall sunrise and whooping it up with friends as they make a nice shot, it's being able to say that supper tonight was the result of hard work and taking pride in that, it's waiting to see if that beauty of a buck will get within range and starting in awe at how gracefully they move, it's just sitting there listening to the birds sing being outside and one with nature with people that you love and even if you go home without game it isn't going home empty handed it's going home with memories and pictures and being able to say that was one of the best days of my life.

That is what motivates me.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM
PainKiller

Default Good Read

Thats the beat thing i have read all day CBRHunter .
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Great post CBR,this is the reason that i love this forum is because of people like you and others on here.

I am sorry that i had a part in this thread and as stated in my other post should have handled it via pm.

I am going with Big Bore's solution and say the past is the past and move on.

Dick284,

Sorry for my actions and I hope we can get along better in the future or at least stay away from each other's necks.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRHunter View Post
This may be a little off topic but I still think it's relevant.

That is what motivates me.
Awesome write up...just awesome!!! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Default original question

I had to go back and re-read the original question as when I was reading all of the post I wasn't sure what the original question was.
I my mind what motivates me is the experience:
The hard jerk at the end of my line when trolling for pike, it might only be a hammer handle but it's that first bite rush that I live for.
It's when the hair on the back of your neck stands straight out as your buddy bugles in your first bull elk, although he only comes with in 400 yards before winding you and taking off with his cows...the image of him standing at the edge of the meadow answering your cow calls is forever etched in my mind.
The snap of a branch as a bear comes into the bait you've worked so hard to start and maintain...your heart hammering in your chest when you see that first glimpse of black in the forest.
When you see a WT buck feeding in a field and formulate a plan that puts you within 100 yards and he doesn't suspect a thing as you put the crosshairs on him decide that he's not what your after and you back away without him ever knowing you were there.
When I sit on the edge of "the big squish" and cow call and grunt a bull moose within range then sharing half with my hunting partner filling each of our deep freezes and knowing we've just fed our families for the upcomoing winter.
To me that's what motivates me to hunt and fish.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Perhaps I got it wrong, but I thought TJ was asking, in circumstances where hunters were engaged in lawful hunting activities why other hunters were motivated to "bash" them or their hunt.

In any event, as Danni and Cowboy Al related, we all hunt for different reasons and I guess the definition of a "successful" hunt is very different for us all. Success may be defined by numbers taken or size or species or just getting out and enjoying the great outdoors; it may be a combination of all of the above. In the end, the definition of success is a personal standard and will likely differ hunter to hunter. If you govern yourself within the law and your happy at the end of the day I would suggest that you have had a successful hunt. Thankfully, it's different for everybody and we shouldn't judge others by our own defined standards. Regards, Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Perhaps I got it wrong, but I thought TJ was asking, in circumstances where hunters were engaged in lawful hunting activities why other hunters were motivated to "bash" them or their hunt.
Yup that was the intent but still interesting to hear what motivates people to get out there. Despite what a few people think on this board, it's not a pay cheque for me. Definitely a lot of reasons, with the experience very high on the list. That's what definitely gets me up and down the mountains in search of sheep but interesting that none of the bashers have chimed in on this thread! Perhaps getting into the liquor cabinet, lack of knowledge and jealousy don't sound like that good of reasons when you actually post it.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Default awsome

CBR that couldnt of been put into words any better, hats off to ya girl.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM

I just like to get out and enjoy the outdoors been hunting bull elk for yrs with no success but lots good times doing it. Cant wait till goose season gonna be lotsa birds around with all the sloughs if I guy can just get harvest done b4 november for once.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Not real sure if im considered a basher or not, though i have been fairly vocal of my dislike for unethical, and illegal actions done by any party in our outdoors. Sure hope thats not the case, but you do never really know how your thoughts are recieved. Anyways, we are all driven by different things i suppose.
Thats a tough one to answer in a short few words, but i will attempt it.
I guess, what has driven me in my persuit of a life surrounded by the outdoors, and the people in it, has got to be none other than a love of all things wild. Why hunt? I suppose any child who just completed his or her Hunter Education could tell you that, and i must say, if its only for the meat that some of you fellas hunt, and you choose to draw lines on that ethic alone, then i suppose you may need to ask what it is that Conservation in the modern world is trying to accomplish.

keep a strain on er.

edit; Hey, i really liked your article you did on Dick284. Heck, i am a fan of all your writing. Anyways, goes to show, even average joes like us can make a difference, if we choose to, and no matter, how big or small ones succeses might be. Dick, ya looked good in the spotlight!!!!!

keep a strain on er, packhuntr.

Last edited by packhuntr; 07-02-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM

CBR that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.
Pack: Thanks for the pat on the back, on days like today I especially needed that.

To the rest of ya thanks for the patience and thanks for the stories.
What motivates me is seeing a newbie get their first what ever, be it a crow, duck, gopher or even larger game.
I'll never forget the look on my wifes face when she got her first goose, the smile lit up the early morning like I'd never seen it before.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
How about it...what motivates you and how is it good for the heritage of hunting?
As a hunter, I realize there are many ways of hunting and that I'll be lucky to experience just a few of them - hunting with flintlocks, muzzle loader shotguns, leverguns, etc. along with being able to get out and enjoy the great outdoors with family, old friends and new friends I've yet to meet. The history behind the guns, hunting moose like the old fur traders (flintlocks), shotgunning geese with 100 year old decoys, etc. and passing on this knowledge to the younger generation so that they don't forget it and show how much fun and enjoyment it is.