Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

Default World biggest snow goose spread!

So would anyone be willing to try and set a world record for largest snow goose spread? I believe we can do it with all the goose hunters here! The biggest one I have seen was 14,000 snow goose decoys. Seems doable
Old 02-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

i'm in!!

i don't have any decoys though
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'm in!!

i don't have any decoys though
Lol, get some or make some!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:06 PM

Smile when it is a big spread.

I don't know about 15,000 but I've seen bid sets in the old days, and they didn't cost lots of money.

Plastic grocery bags Tied to a stick or placed on the ground held in place by dirt.
News paper, the Winnipeg free press works well cleverly folded and held by dirt on the tail.

Once you get a lot out there they look pretty good. I heard about a guide in Texas who used 12 dozen reusable diapers from a diaper service he used. Too expensive for us.

The birds are here now so let us know, it would be something to see.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I don't know about 15,000 but I've seen bid sets in the old days, and they didn't cost lots of money.

Plastic grocery bags Tied to a stick or placed on the ground held in place by dirt.
News paper, the Winnipeg free press works well cleverly folded and held by dirt on the tail.

Once you get a lot out there they look pretty good. I heard about a guide in Texas who used 12 dozen reusable diapers from a diaper service he used. Too expensive for us.

You're seeing birds already!? Too early haha. Half a month left till the season starts... Friends in Texas use the free USPS tyvek envelopes and just cut out the snow goose shapes and use that. I may use paper plates like a few folks did just to fill my spread here and there.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

Just in case no one believes me, here is VIDEO proof of about 14,000 geese decoys haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBdJ1ovqD-g
Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Come on guys!! I know many of you have huge spreads! You brag all the time
Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Come on guys!! I know many of you have huge spreads! You brag all the time
I think the dificulty lies in trying to organize a hunt ike that in the spring with the here today gone tomorrow metality of the birds.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I think the dificulty lies in trying to organize a hunt ike that in the spring with the here today gone tomorrow metality of the birds.
Is it any different than in the USA? I keep following the migration of friends in NoDak, SoDak, MO and Southern Ill and they keep circling around back and forth.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Years ago we used to gather diapers that were past their prime from a local diaper service. There were literally hundreds available (laundered) each month free of cost. They made excellent Snow Goose spreads of 1000 or more and were quite easy to transport and handle. Much too simple back then.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Is it any different than in the USA? I keep following the migration of friends in NoDak, SoDak, MO and Southern Ill and they keep circling around back and forth.
They are circling under the snow line. Once the snow melts they will quickly fly north until they hit another line of snow and ice covering food and water.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Some big storms south of us that'll maybe turn them back again for a bit. But, we have a month or so before they should be showing up here yet. Don't think weather will be as nice as last year. Hurry up and wait and see what happens.
My dekes will be hopefully be on their way next wk. Slowly getting everything back together again. Been an interesting experience re-acquiring all this stuff.
Waiting on a speck shell delivery today, so far, 3 boxes with no sig req'd, no extra fees, if the other 5 show up like that today, that'll make me real happy.
CPS got my trailer plate back, it was on a stolen & stripped truck.