Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Default Knee Replacement

So Drs. are saying wife needs 2 knee replacements. Problem is probably a
year to a year and a half wait.
Just wondering if anybody has paid for their own and jumped the queue. What the price was and who you used and is it worth it?
Preferably in Edmonton
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 AM

My dad is getting a double replacement in aug or sept , he picked over seas to get it done (very good doctors) I think it's 20K USA pre knee. But shop around and remember you get what you pay for . Also if looking abroad I'd want to be fluent in the language of that country .
Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Persistance pays off; if you communicate nicely.

Make sure she isn't "in the queue" and has been sent to the Bone and Joint Clinic. If she has just been sent by her family doctor and has not seen the surgeon, get her back to the fam doc, ask to have the req faxed directly to the B&JC, call and ask them to put wifey on cancellation list and call monthly and be really NICE when you call. More honey than vinegar works!
FHD
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Knee replacement

i agree with fishinghogdaddy there are always cancellations. the key here is persistence I was originally told a year as well when I had mine done however someone cancelled and about 5 months later I was in. I know it can feel like forever while you wait but why pay good money for something that you can get done here. Also let the family doctor know you are willing to travel throughout the province to have it done
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Getting one done this spring, the second about 3-4 months after that. Only about a 5 month wait period after I actually stepped into the Knee and Hip clinic here in Calgary. Mind you, the severity of my knee's might have something to do with the wait time.
I'd never consider going out of country for the replacements, just a matter of planning ahead.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM

What doctor is saying this? Family or surgeon?
Has she had imaging tests done? This can be paid for to cut the wait time. Surgery cannot as far as I know, in edmonton anyway.

It normally goes like this: family doc sees problem, refers to surgeon, wait for appointment. surgeon orders MRI/CT/ultrasound, any/all of the above. Wait for testing. Testing gets done. Radiologist interprets and sends report to surgeon. Surgeon decides what is required, puts patient on list. Wait for surgery. Surgery gets done. Physio (do exactly what you're told, and the outcomes are very good. Think you know better and it will all go to hell)

There are a couple things that can be done to improve the situation. One is to insure that when your family doc refers you to a surgeon, you call the surgeons office and make sure the referral has been received and get on the cancellation list for the appointment, if they have one. Next is to pay privately for whatever tests are needed, the surgeons office can help you out with this. Once they let you know what needs to be done, again get on the cancellation list for surgery. Also, when talking to the surgeon, ask if there is any pre surgical physio or other change that can be done to improve the outcome. (Here's a start: No smoking, no alcohol)

Remember that this is a non-emergent matter. I understand it can be frustrating but doctors can only work so many hours in a day, and knee replacements only get so much OR time. that's the way it is, no one can change it. Your time is the variable you can control, and being willing to show up on short notice can help (but it's not guaranteed to change anything). Also, yeah, be pleasant. The system is severely under-equipped to deal with the aging population. Thank Ralph, and be nice to everyone you deal with.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. Will start checking things out with family doctor
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Also if you get referred to the hip and knee clinic in edmonton ( edmonton MSK), they pretty much do it all for you. Not sure if you are in their area though