Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Vortex 2017

Hey guys Just wondering what people are thinking of the new PST's and new Diamondbacks coming out this year ? Im unsure cause i love vortex but in reality the PST's are gonna be priced (1500-2000) MSRP is 2000 on some of them is easily in the realm of the cheaper Nightforce SHV and Leupolds, And And some of the Swarovski's Z6i 2.5-15 (multi turret).

So my question is.... are they gonna be able to compete with these things now that there prices have changed and there in a different price grade then before ?
Ive held and owned some of these scopes, and the old PST's did well because of there price points, but if vortrex keeps the same glass the Leupolds and NF, SWaroe's will win by a mile in clarity?

What do you guys think ?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Price Jumps

I wonder if we will see similar price jumps from Leupold and other manufacturers to match vortexs? If not then you are likely correct in your assesment.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 AM

I thought the PST GEN II were using HD glass now. Which should put them in line with the SHV and Sightron SIII. I own a SHV 5-20X56, Sightron SII 8-32X56 and a PST. Don't remember are they 6-24? The PST has been a good scope and has been dialed a lot!! Has seen about 13-1400 rounds through my 300 RUM. The SHV and Sightron to my eyes have better glass. If I could sell my PST I'd try a GEN 2. The true zero stop would be nice as well.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 PM

Yeah they have there XD glass which is standard for all the vipers bu the Razors have there HD glass which is from Japan. The Zero stop looks nice but im not sure its worth up to in some cases a .25% increase in price ?

The Diamond Back tactical will sell and the 1-6 power will be a more affordable option for 3 gunners that still want better glass.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 PM

I have an older Diamondback and one of the lower-end vipers. They are decent scopes but the only thing that got me into them was the price point. At higher price points ($1500+) I wouldn't even consider the brand as there are just so many high quality optics made by outfits like Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica to consider. Even in the middle Leupold, Bushnell and Burris win the day for me.

My rimfires wear my Vortex's now.

Last edited by Erik; 02-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 AM

Really liking the improvements on the Gen2 PST with integrated illumination and lower/wider turrets.
I just sold/traded my Gen1 that I'd bought for an abondoned PRS project and decided to work on more of a long range hunter platform.I'm seriously considering the much sleeker Gen2 for the hunter.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have an older Diamondback and one of the lower-end vipers. They are decent scopes but the only thing that got me into them was the price point. At higher price points ($1500+) I wouldn't even consider the brand as there are just so many high quality optics made by outfits like Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica to consider.
Agree 100%
Great for the price - but at $2000 the competition gets stiffer