Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Are there really limitations to those from one Province east? I have heard 10 times more stories of guys going back to the farm to hunt in Saskatchewan then any other Province.

I would never suggest one should be able to go to any Province any time and hunt unrestricted. I am saying it shouldn't be an issue to return to your original home Province and hunt. I also think that new comers should be given the benefit of a doubt when working here and holding an Alberta drivers licence.

I grew up in Saskatchewan before moving to Alberta in 1980. I still know some of the areas very well, and I returned many times to hunt whitetailed deer in my home area as a non resident, when it was allowed, which was not every year. However, I was not allowed to hunt moose elk, mule deer, or pheasant, and I was perfectly fine with that, being as how I was no longer a resident. And when I came to Alberta, I came as a permanent resident, and I joined the local F&G club, volunteered my time, scouted, obtained landowner maps, and knocked on doors to get to know people, like I am doing again, now that I have retired and moved into an entirely different part of the province.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I grew up in Saskatchewan before moving to Alberta in 1980. I still know some of the areas very well, and I returned many times to hunt whitetailed deer in my home area as a non resident, when it was allowed, which was not every year. However, I was not allowed to hunt moose elk, mule deer, or pheasant, and I was perfectly fine with that, being as how I was no longer a resident. And when I came to Alberta, I came as a permanent resident, and I joined the local F&G club, volunteered my time, scouted, obtained landowner maps, and knocked on doors to get to know people, like I am doing again, now that I have retired and moved into an entirely different part of the province.
I didn't realize this was about you, please accept my apologies.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize this was about you, please accept my apologies.
You mentioned Saskatchewan residents going back to Saskatchewan to hunt, so I posted my own experiences as an example. I also mentioned that I was not allowed to hunt moose. elk. mule deer, or pheasant, because it demonstrates how restrictive Saskatchewan is with non resident hunters, even if they were originally Saskatchewan residents. In comparison, Alberta allows non residents to hunt several species with a hunter host.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You mentioned Saskatchewan residents going back to Saskatchewan to hunt, so I posted my own experiences as an example. I also mentioned that I was not allowed to hunt moose. elk. mule deer, or pheasant, because it demonstrates how restrictive Saskatchewan is with non resident hunters, even if they were originally Saskatchewan residents. In comparison, Alberta allows non residents to hunt several species with a hunter host.
They are going back and buying resident tags. That is what this thread is about. People buying resident tags that are not truly residents.

I don't go back to Nova Scotia and buy resident tags. I didn't mention that because it is irrelevant.

For the record, I think you should be able to go back to your home Province and hunt with your family and friends. I do not believe that that would cause a problem to wildlife numbers.

There are problems with wildlife management that I think are much more important and I believe our limited resources should be focused on these.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
They are going back and buying resident tags. That is what this thread is about. People buying resident tags that are not truly residents.

I don't go back to Nova Scotia and buy resident tags. I didn't mention that because it is irrelevant.

For the record, I think you should be able to go back to your home Province and hunt with your family and friends. I do not believe that that would cause a problem to wildlife numbers.

There are problems with wildlife management that I think are much more important and I believe our limited resources should be focused on these.
What are your suggestions to reduce draw wait times? Where should the time and focus be spent?

There is only two ways to decrease draw wait times, reduce the numbers of hunters in the pool or increase the numbers of tags available.

By the way the Hunter host program can be utilized to bring in friends and family members, without them needing resident status.

Tag numbers are not likely to increase, so going after the "loopholes", cheaters, ineligible hunters, and false residents definitely will help with wait times. How much? Who knows....but less is more in this case.

LC
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
What are your suggestions to reduce draw wait times? Where should the time and focus be spent?

There is only two ways to decrease draw wait times, reduce the numbers of hunters in the pool or increase the numbers of tags available.

By the way the Hunter host program can be utilized to bring in friends and family members, without them needing resident status.

Tag numbers are not likely to increase, so going after the "loopholes", cheaters, ineligible hunters, and false residents definitely will help with wait times. How much? Who knows....but less is more in this case.

LC
I think too many people are putting in for draws just because it is cheap. They don't really want the tag but will go as a "bonus" if drawn. Some get drawn and don't even go.

I think some put in for draws with no intention of going.

How many times have threads been started with "I got drawn for this area. Anyone know where to go?"

I put in for Antelope for several years, just because. I then realized that I have absolutely no interest in shooting an Antelope and was probably just ruining someone else's chances so I stopped.

Same goes for moose. If I got a draw I would go but it certainly isn't something I would get super excited about.

Anyway, I know I am not alone in this way of thinking. If the price to play was much higher I bet the numbers would go down really quick. Pay full price for the tag at time of draw application and get half back if you don't get it.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I think too many people are putting in for draws just because it is cheap. They don't really want the tag but will go as a "bonus" if drawn. Some get drawn and don't even go.

I think some put in for draws with no intention of going.

How many times have threads been started with "I got drawn for this area. Anyone know where to go?"

I put in for Antelope for several years, just because. I then realized that I have absolutely no interest in shooting an Antelope and was probably just ruining someone else's chances so I stopped.

Same goes for moose. If I got a draw I would go but it certainly isn't something I would get super excited about.

Anyway, I know I am not alone in this way of thinking. If the price to play was much higher I bet the numbers would go down really quick. Pay full price for the tag at time of draw application and get half back if you don't get it.
Hunting should only be for the folks with deep pockets?

Where does this "extra" revenue end up? general coffers?

I agree that's one aspect that could be changed, if the purchase of the tag was mandatory upon being drawn (or prior with a credit if not drawn).... or if unpurchased tags left you out of the draw process till they were purchased would make sure people were "serious".

Tags are finite and the waits long so that would not reduce wait times significantly. IMHO. All available tags are pretty much spoken for on draw day, with the exception of the far northern zones.

LC