Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM

Default New Wall Tent Stove Suggestions

Hi,

Looking to purchase a new stove for my 14x16 wall tent. Looking for the biggest stove (quality is important too) on the market to avoid having to re-fill during the night and for some cold late season hunts.

Here is what i have narrowed down my search to, does anyone have experience with either of the two? Thanks in advance.

Wilderness 5 Stove
http://www.walltentshop.com/products...-camping-stove

Outfitter Stove
http://www.deluxewalltents.com/wood-stoves/
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM

I bought my tent and stove from Cylinder Stove. No complaints and the quality of both are as good as they get from what I've seen.
Heavier gauge steel stoves are worth the extra money as they last forever, take abuse and hold heat. Especially on those colder nights.
Just my 2 cents.

Happy shopping.

SS
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Have a look at this style of stove.

https://peaveymartonline.com/index.p...product_id=818

They make different sizes. Bigger the better. Easily get 8hrs of burn time with the right wood.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM

I have an air tight. 20 inch. My only regret is i shoulda bought the biggest one they sell. 20 + yrs of use, light. I put gravel in the bottom before each use at moose camp. Cant really go wrong with them air tights, simple and last if you look after them. Only issue with the air tight would be a flat heating surface that isnt the lid to fill with wood.

That being said, i want to build my next one and it will look much like the deluxe Wall tent stove you linked to.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I bought my tent and stove from Cylinder Stove. No complaints and the quality of both are as good as they get from what I've seen.
Heavier gauge steel stoves are worth the extra money as they last forever, take abuse and hold heat. Especially on those colder nights.
Just my 2 cents.

Happy shopping.

SS
I bought my cylinder stove in 2001 with the idea that it would last me until I'm too old to hunt - so far so good, and it looks like me and the stove should be around for a while yet!
https://www.cylinderstoves.com
I got the hunter package with hot water heater, warming tray, nesting stove pipe, and grate. You may want the Yukon kit, if this stove interest you. Everything fits inside the stove, and it also has 4 lash points on it to help tie it down to a pack horse, atv, etc. I put a damper 18" up the pipe from the stove and monitor the exhaust temp with a magnetic wood stove thermometer on the pipe. The stove draws very well, and I can get a 5 hour burn out of it with the right wood and proper settings. Two thumbs up for this stove!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM

I have have the Yukon outfitters stove, has log grate, a warming tray, water heater, nesting pipe, pipe thermometer, removable legs, everything nests in the stove. I have a welding blanket for under stove on floor fire safety . I can get a good 5 hour burn using hardwoods when possible. ( I get wood scraps from cabinet makers) Bought it used in 2011, and know it will last me the rest of my hunting/camping/ riding life. Its heavy, but love it. Didn't really know what I bought till I used it a bit. Would highly recommend this unit. Heat a 12x14x 5 Outfitters tent by Blue Sky Tent and Awning of Missoula Montana.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:17 PM

I have the water tank, warming tray, removable legs and nesting pipe as well. its so handy to put everything inside the stove for storage and traveling. Mine is Yukon as well and it heats a 15 X 15 tent very nicely. You will not regret buying this set up.
I believe Katts69 on here used to sell them, not sure if he still does. Bought mine about 12 years ago.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 PM

I've used this stove for the past three seasons (https://peaveymartonline.com/index.p...product_id=929)

This costs $189.99 at Peavy Mart - a very good price and $100 less than at Canadian Tire.

When loaded up and dampered properly, the stove will kick out good heat for ~5-6 hrs. I've always used a layer of sand in the bottom, but have thought of using fireblocks if I try a lump of coal for an all-nighter attempt.

Add an ecofan on top and your tent will have good even heat.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Four dog stoves

Love the four dog, heavy duty and really excellent heat.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 AM

My son has built a couple that are really well built.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Its crappy pic
Pm me and ill try to dig up better pics
Old 03-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Default Potbelly Stove I bought Today

I picked up one of these stoves from a guy in Calgary. They have a 10 Gauge steel body. Damn tough little stove and its wicked to transport. I bought a DELUXE. Paid $340 tax in ...I love it. Great for cooking too!
I tried to post a picture but it won't work. Here is the link

www.redhotstoves.wixsite.com/redhot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

They make different sizes. Bigger the better. Easily get 8hrs of burn time with the right wood.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 PM

I ordered the outfitter stove when I ordered a 12x14 wall tent from deluxe wall tents. There is a size up from this stove if you want something larger. I think the quality of the wood (the harder the better and not rotten) you are burning will make a bigger difference then the size of the stove in regards to burning all night. Also, if it is really cold (-20 to -30+) you will be going through wood quicker. At -30c I've had the stove burn all night but there's just Amber's there in the morning. It's still -20 or so in the tent when you have both dampers almost shut. I only notice the cold when I get out of my -45c sleeping bag. Nice thing with having the Amber's burning is you just need to throw more wood in and open the dampers and jump back in the bag and 20 mins later it's nice and warm. I think this style stove is great, it is air tight, the flat surface is great for cooking/boiling water, and the heating tray is good for keeping food warm or thawing out steaks. It is more then enough stove for a 12x14 tent. When you are awake there is no problem keeping the tent at +25-30 when it is -30 outside. When it is really cold outside there is no wood burning stove that I know of that will burn wood slow enough to keep it warm (+20) in the tent all night. The stove throws more heat the hotter/faster it burns.The goal overnight is to keep it a bit warmer then outside. Also, a stove fan will help circulate the heat better.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM

Smile 270 elk

Built my own used 3/16 plate it heats our 14 x16 wall tent it is about 18h 18w 24L very heavy but holds the heat being a welder helps have had this one for 20 + years
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM

If you want a stove that will run the whole night buy a barrel stove kit. For $100 or less you get the cast parts to turn a barrel into a wood stove. Have to order from the states though. My dad wasted his money on a cylinder stove with hot water tank, oven, etc and while a nice little stove it don't belong in a wall tent unless you enjoy waking up to refill the stove. My second choice is the biggest air tight stove like the one from peavey mart you can get. They are reasonably price and very light and last a long time .
Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 ELK View Post
Built my own used 3/16 plate it heats our 14 x16 wall tent it is about 18h 18w 24L very heavy but holds the heat being a welder helps have had this one for 20 + years
That is what one of our hunting partners built, with elevated & removable drying racks for clothes & gear. Same dimensions, same ga. plate. We heat a 3 section(20x32)army tent easily - one stuffing with half large dozen lumps of coal before retiring, and we still have lots heat in the morning. An "eco-fan" on top of the stove moves the air imperceptibly to all corners. A quick stuff of firekill, throttle up the stove, and any "hangers on" are burned out of the chimney(vertical - 45 on end away from tent). It is always short sleeve weather inside, regardless of outside temps.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Just for the record most homesteaders in Alberta used airtight stoves like Peavy mart sells to heat their poorly insulated homes in -50oC winters. They will have no problem heating a small outfitter tent all night if you have good wood. Buy a large one fill it with dry large round wood blocks and go off to dream land for entire night. PS You will want to get up early to catch the elk before they head to their bedding area.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingPrivateBugout View Post
I picked up one of these stoves from a guy in Calgary. They have a 10 Gauge steel body. Damn tough little stove and its wicked to transport. I bought a DELUXE. Paid $340 tax in ...I love it. Great for cooking too!
I tried to post a picture but it won't work. Here is the link

Nice looking stoves! Are they made in Calgary?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:22 PM

I have the wilderness stove with the water heater on the side. Love it. But I did ditch the chimney top after it plugged the first day
Old 03-06-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako300 View Post
Hi,

Looking to purchase a new stove for my 14x16 wall tent. Looking for the biggest stove (quality is important too) on the market to avoid having to re-fill during the night and for some cold late season hunts.

Here is what i have narrowed down my search to, does anyone have experience with either of the two? Thanks in advance.

Wilderness 5 Stove
http://www.walltentshop.com/products...-camping-stove

Outfitter Stove
http://www.deluxewalltents.com/wood-stoves/

I have the Wilderness 5...I have it with the water heater but I dont have much use for it. I find if you load it up and throw a couple of eco logs in it it will go all night. I think either of the stoves you have listed will be fine...5 dog would also be comparable.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 PM

I've been using my wilderness 5 to heat my garage November to March for three years now with no complaints. There's usually enough coals left in the morning to just throw more wood in before work. I just pull it out of the garage when I need it for my 14x16 tent.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Default Potbelly Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Nice looking stoves! Are they made in Calgary?

I think he said he was based out of Strathmore, Alberta. I picked mine up from him in Calgary. I was also at the Edmonton Boat and Outdoorsman Expo and seen them set up there. I love mine. It works awesome and its made of thick 10gauge steel and not that thin crap. I think they start at $280 and go up to $500 ..or at least that's what the website says.

I bought a radiant shroud off them and it really cranks the heat up a fair bit too. Almost overkill to be honest.
Hope that helps!

SPR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg as.jpg (9.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Potbelly Stove Baketop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

Check out these stoves! I bought the deluxe one and love it. I had a Peavey Mart Stove and it lasted 3 years until the side blew out. Have had this one for a year and love it. I throw it around and its solid.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM

they all need one of those ecko fans on them
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 AM

We built one back in 1996 out of 24" yellow jacket pipeline pipe. After the first year we made some revisions for an extra adjustable dampener for more or less airflow and also made the stove to be a flat top . Works great!! We had a initial burn with just the stove to melt and burn off the yellow coating

Thick walled steel, holds the heat and this stove puts out when needed !!

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 05-15-2017 at 09:35 AM.