Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Default RE:Nubes wolf

This year i have skinned a couple wolves for people that due to work and weather have not had time to take care of animals.
wolf one was caught 3/32 1-19 cable swivel end marties magnum kill spring on snare. snare cable was opend op a bit and had a couple of broken strands.
wolf had no water head was a fast efficient kill.
Nubes wolf 5/64 1-19 cable swivel end marties magnum kill spring spring was fired cable was almost twisted off too me looks like swivel failed wolf had no water head looks like once spring fired killed wolf within minutes
Third wolf was 1/16 7-7 cable marties regular kill spring no trigger had a couple small kinks wolf had zero water head arteries in neck were ruptured and there was no set site diturbance.
all three were ethical humane kills my question is this is the stiffer wire affecting how the kill springs work IE slowing them down wolves dont fight as hard as cyotes usually the stiffer cable would take longer to tighten and fire the trigger?
Could the stiffer cable be more prone to twisting off if swivels fail to work properly. they have more tinsel strength but less ductile strength (they are more brittle)

As i said all three wolves were dispached fast and effective
Would like to hear other peoples thoughts on wheather it could be the cable or the swivel
No bitching about people not having time work and life gets in the way we all need a hand from time to time also be constructive trying to figure out what went wrong to get better is not a bad thing
One last thing i skinned a wolf for my neighbours kid he shot the same day as nubes other than bullet holes the only difference was the arteries in the neck on nubes were blocked off as i said no water head no bruising

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-30-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 AM

I I will say it again Jay, a huge thanks again for the help and saving me a lot of driving to pick that one up with this weather we are having. I owe you and appreciate your help.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 AM

No trouble you would do the same for me lol
Old 01-30-2017, 12:44 PM

1/16 7x7 on a wolf? Breaking point is 480 1b with a work load of 96lb...better hope for a good catch every time. Too light of cable for me personally...I do agree with the stiffer cable twisting/breaking easier. What type of swivels were on them?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

I have no experience with snaring wolves so I'm reluctant to comment on wolf snaring threads. I'm trying to visualize the snare setups that you are describing. What swivel are you referring to on the snare and where is it?

I attended a Snaring Workshop at the ATA where I was shown to put a barrel swivel in the middle of the snare making the extension and snare one long piece. I don't do it like that. For my coyotes I have two separate pieces......an 8 foot long extension with a big swivel on the end and I attach my 5 foot snare to that. I have yet to have to replace an extension. That may sound long but I anchor high about 8 feet above my head and I found that works very well for coyotes.

I tried different ways to set snares for coyotes when I was just starting out until I found what works best for me. High anchor, low anchor, entanglement, no entanglement, etc and after several catches each way I was able to eliminate different methods. I'm thinking that's what might be best to do for wolves as well until you find what works best for you. With several guys trying different methods and exchanging info with each other that would be an easier task than just one guy trying different ways of setting your snares.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:54 PM
Banned

Am I wrong in assuming that you are using double swivels.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:03 PM

single swivel on end of ten foot snare thinking mb go to five foot and use swivel between snare and extension this way swivel will still work if wolf tangles up
Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM
AO Sponsor

I believe there would be numerous other factors involved in trying to determine what actually happened. Definitely not enough information has been given to make very many definite conclusions. Much speculation can be made, but detail is lacking as is a good sample size.

If every animal caught did the exact same thing then you could have a little better idea. Tomorrow catch 3 more wolves in the exact same 3 snares with exact same components and see the differences. So sufficient sample sizes are a necessary first step. A controlled environment helps too, to draw accurate conclusions.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default RE:Nubes wolf

I'm not sure what Jawa is asking. All 3 snares worked properly and the Wolves died quickly.
On a separate note I think it's great that fellows like jawa can help some trappers when things get busy. It's tough enough keeping a line going, and it's next to impossible to skin each catch by yourself, unless the line is all you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 PM

Here is one of 3 wolves caught with 5/56 1x19 wire. They all showed very little fight. As you can see by the snare wire there is little damage to it. They were all caught with 42 or 48 inch snares with 285 BAD and Marty's kill spring. The snares were tied short with doubled # 14 wire. I believe the short tie does not allow them to get back and chew the cable. The magnum kill springs seem to be a big part as well. We use no swivels. The smaller loop I believe catches the wolf closer to the ears. I know that it is harder to get them to stick there head into a smaller loop and we have missed a couple this year because of that. We are learning snare height is one of the keys to this. Our line does not have that many wolves on it and this is the first year we have been targeting them.

Just like ever thing it is what works for you, this has worked of us and until we have problems I think we are going to stick with this.

TEH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolf fall 2016.jpg (38.0 KB, 260 views)

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Here is one of 3 wolves caught with 5/56 1x19 wire. They all showed very little fight. As you can see by the snare wire there is little damage to it. They were all caught with 42 or 48 inch snares with 285 BAD and Marty's kill spring. The snares were tied short with doubled # 14 wire. I believe the short tie does not allow them to get back and chew the cable. The magnum kill springs seem to be a big part as well. We use no swivels. The smaller loop I believe catches the wolf closer to the ears. I know that it is harder to get them to stick there head into a smaller loop and we have missed a couple this year because of that. We are learning snare height is one of the keys to this. Our line does not have that many wolves on it and this is the first year we have been targeting them.

Just like ever thing it is what works for you, this has worked of us and until we have problems I think we are going to stick with this.

TEH
looks like a beautiful wolf...congrats
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
This year i have skinned a couple wolves for people that due to work and weather have not had time to take care of animals.
wolf one was caught 3/32 1-19 cable swivel end marties magnum kill spring on snare. snare cable was opend op a bit and had a couple of broken strands.
wolf had no water head was a fast efficient kill.
Nubes wolf 5/64 1-19 cable swivel end marties magnum kill spring spring was fired cable was almost twisted off too me looks like swivel failed wolf had no water head looks like once spring fired killed wolf within minutes
Third wolf was 1/16 7-7 cable marties regular kill spring no trigger had a couple small kinks wolf had zero water head arteries in neck were ruptured and there was no set site diturbance.
all three were ethical humane kills my question is this is the stiffer wire affecting how the kill springs work IE slowing them down wolves dont fight as hard as cyotes usually the stiffer cable would take longer to tighten and fire the trigger? Does anyone know how long it takes water head to develop?
Could the stiffer cable be more prone to twisting off if swivels fail to work properly. they have more tinsel strength but less ductile strength (they are more brittle)

As i said all three wolves were dispached fast and effective
Would like to hear other peoples thoughts on wheather it could be the cable or the swivel
No bitching about people not having time work and life gets in the way we all need a hand from time to time also be constructive trying to figure out what went wrong to get better is not a bad thing
One last thing i skinned a wolf for my neighbours kid he shot the same day as nubes other than bullet holes the only difference was the arteries in the neck on nubes were blocked off as i said no water head no bruising
Do you or anyone else know how long it takes waterhead to develop?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
He just can't help himself. Poor guy. I feel sorry for him.

Try taking a good dose of Theracurmin twice daily. It'll be a lot better for you than Prozac and could help you if you have other ailments as well. I am opposed to anybody taking Prozac, but that's what the doc will probably put you on. Don't do it tho, us firearm owners don't want guns to get blamed for another massacre.
You lost me completely but are supposed to be a professional trapper so what are your comments on my question? You should know.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Mandolin View Post
You lost me completely but are supposed to be a professional trapper so what are your comments on my question? You should know.
Do you prefer gas or electric with all the trolling you do 💋
Old 02-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Mandolin View Post
Instead of asking the question you obviously know the answer to it would have been much better to just state it instead of making some sort of condescending post.
Cat.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Banned

Poor guy just can't help himself. What a pitiful existence.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM
AO Sponsor

OK... my comments on the subject are this:

Edema is quickly becoming a thing of the past as we have been rapidly advancing the modernization of the steel neck snare. You and your buddies are very much behind the times in what has unfolded in the past 10 years in humane snare development/advancement and your past ignorant opinions on the subject reflect this and continue to do so.