Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Default Getting into duck hunting...

Hey, I am wanting to take up duck hunting this year and have done quite a bit of research in terms of where to go..found some spots that I will be scouting over the next few weeks, but I do have some questions:

Can anyone recommend a duck call for a beginner to use?

What kind and how many decoys should I be putting out?

Any recommendations for a blind?

Is it preferable to hunt over land or water? - I have a kevlar canoe to retrieve ducks.

When is the best time to hunt? Mornings ? Evenings? Early season or late season?

Any other suggestions or advice that anyone could offer would be helpful. Thanks!

p.s. If anybody would like to take out a rookie to kind of show me how it's done, I would be more than happy to pay for gas and lunch haha
Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 AM

What part of the province are you in??? If you are in my are (Airdrie) and I need another gun on a shoot this fall I will keep you posted or can bring you out spotting for sure to kinda teach you the ropes a bit.

I prefer hunting over fields or potholes, find where the birds are roosting in AM follow them to the field, or pothole they are puddling, ask farmer to hunt it and set it up the following morning. Or look for them in the fields already.. Ps they love pea fields...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
What part of the province are you in??? If you are in my are (Airdrie) and I need another gun on a shoot this fall I will keep you posted or can bring you out spotting for sure to kinda teach you the ropes a bit.

I prefer hunting over fields or potholes, find where the birds are roosting in AM follow them to the field, or pothole they are puddling, ask farmer to hunt it and set it up the following morning. Or look for them in the fields already.. Ps they love pea fields...
I'm in Calgary so I would definitely be interested in joining you. Thanks! I'll send you a pm.