Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 PM

First off I am a bow & rifle hunter. If I don't get drawn for my antlered mule deer tag (priority 7 this year) bet your a** I am going out in late September/October with my bow in the general wmu's.

I do however think that the draw system should change. Keep the seasons the same for bow & rifle for all wmu's but make them separate draws for bow & rifle so guys like me aren't allowed to do what I just previously mentioned I have done for the past 7 years (successful 5 out of those 7 years). Your either drawn for one or the other, pick your weapon, pick your season. And no more general wmu's for bow.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
First off I am a bow & rifle hunter. If I don't get drawn for my antlered mule deer tag (priority 7 this year) bet your a** I am going out in late September/October with my bow in the general wmu's.

I do however think that the draw system should change. Keep the seasons the same for bow & rifle for all wmu's but make them separate draws for bow & rifle so guys like me aren't allowed to do what I just previously mentioned I have done for the past 7 years (successful 5 out of those 7 years). Your either drawn for one or the other, pick your weapon, pick your season. And no more general wmu's for bow.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed on the draw part of this post . Here in the south we archers were supposedly promised a draw season for mules when the general one was taken away a few years back ... still waiting .
Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Agreed on the draw part of this post . Here in the south we archers were supposedly promised a draw season for mules when the general one was taken away a few years back ... still waiting .
NDP Government bureaucracy has put a lot of things on the back burner.

LC
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Who supposedly promised that?

Bowhunters got burnt by their own lobbyists.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Who supposedly promised that?

Bowhunters got burnt by their own lobbyists.
Loss of resident opportunity again.

But we are all just hunters remember?
Except those getting paid to hunt whether by some non-resident or by some business sponsorship.
All just hunters my arse...
Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes because simply owning a bow guarantees you a 200" mule deer

On average Bowhunters spend more days in the field...more time in the field is directly proportional to success in the field. More time in the field also means more days without success.

LC
Were did you get this stat out your butt " more days in the field" please. Over the counter bow tags and then allowed to grab a rifle tag after? If you want to chase game with a bow go to it but become part of the allocations per species. But don't become part of the problem with numbers of trophy class M. deer available. Add to that the non resident bow hunters that know this provide is a soft touch all he/she has to do is get a guide or host hunter and it becomes a serious issue for the quantity of quality bucks available. Try and get a lic 150 miles east in Sask. with its higher number of trophy bucks. The difference is management nothing else......Sorry for the rant but people that don't admit that they are contributing to the problem and its OK because there is a loop hole in the reg's is just wrong.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post

Just my 2 cents.
100% There will be a separate draw season for each in the coming years. I also agree with you, I think it will come into effect within 3-5 years but thats my 2 cents so now we have 4.

Cheers,
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
Were did you get this stat out your butt " more days in the field" please. Over the counter bow tags and then allowed to grab a rifle tag after? If you want to chase game with a bow go to it but become part of the allocations per species. But don't become part of the problem with numbers of trophy class M. deer available. Add to that the non resident bow hunters that know this provide is a soft touch all he/she has to do is get a guide or host hunter and it becomes a serious issue for the quantity of quality bucks available. Try and get a lic 150 miles east in Sask. with its higher number of trophy bucks. The difference is management nothing else......Sorry for the rant but people that don't admit that they are contributing to the problem and its OK because there is a loop hole in the reg's is just wrong.
First off where do live now and where are you from?

Are you on the "Archers kill all the big deer" band wagon?

There is no such thing as archery tags over the counter and rifle tags after (after what?)....In Alberta you can hold only one antlered mule deer license.

Non-residents can't hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan.

Longer season = more available days in the field = more time scouting and being in the field = higher chance of success/more opportunity for success to occur = required to meet harvest goals for archery only seasons.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-18-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
First off where do live now and where are you from?

Are you on the "Archers kill all the big deer" band wagon?

There is no such thing as archery tags over the counter and rifle tags after (after what?)....In Alberta you can hold only one antlered mule deer license.

Non-residents can't hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan.

Longer season = more available days in the field = more time scouting and being in the field = higher chance of success/more opportunity for success to occur = required to meet harvest goals for archery only seasons.

LC
Exactly lefty .. in our area , the only guy that can hunt a mule with a bow is the same guy that does it with a rifle when that season opens if he hasnt been successful with a bow . I'd gladly apply for a bow only tag before the rifle season , even if they only allowed us to shoot " non trophy "bucks . { specifically no 4x4 s} after all since we archers shot all the big deer before , maybe we could help clean up the gene pool and get rid of some of those big 3x3"s that none of the rifle hunters want to take .
Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly lefty .. in our area , the only guy that can hunt a mule with a bow is the same guy that does it with a rifle when that season opens if he hasnt been successful with a bow
so no landowners or outfitters hunting with a bow in your wmu?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Lots of good mule deer on general tags in the province. I know a spot I sheep hunt in and I see some decent 170-190 " deer in there. I just never have pulled the trigger on any yet. The big one was when I was all alone or I would have. But if a guy wanted to dedicate a bow hunt to them it is totally doable
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 PM

I'm talking guys that get drawn with a rifle can use either..yes there is an outfitter but I know of no landowners that do

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Okay i dont get it. One simple glimpse at the blatantly obvious tells us SRD wants some dead mule deer, and they have for a while. Very sad and disgusting situation to be certain. Why then were archery seasons lost in multiple units, and tag numbers blown completely through the roof for rifle hunters? To the guys here spouting off about how archers are some sort of monster, holy. Where do you boys think our once beautiful herds of mule deer went? Was it alien space craft that took them, could it have been those bastard bow hunters at it again, or did they leave heaped up like vermin in the back of rifle hunters pickup trucks? Hmmm? And yet still, an archer is a ..... hey. Un flipping real. Guys want it all and they want it in its entirity. Just disgusting. Bloody humiliating to be a part of ranks as such

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Anyone opposed to archers, claiming they remove all the big deer riddle me this. There are afew big deer in all units that harbour the species, and thier sheds are lying on the ground as we speak. So archers remove a select handful of big deer annually while most focus on mature specimines. Anyone explain to us where the rest of the deer went? If everyone (rifle hunters) were focussing on selective targetting of mature only, instead of young bucks, DOES, FAWNS, basically entire family groups being wiped off the landscape,,,, should we not all have nothing to worry about??? Seems to me removal of old always leaves annual up and comers. Not only that, fawn recruitment is better because a bunch of dough heads arent hydraulicing everything that moves, virtually eliminating herd held knowlege by old does of where to migrate, feed sources etc etc etc? So many reasons why so much of what guys are saying is wrong its plain ridiculous, and listening to some of this anti archer is outrageous

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Theres just one thing id like to add before i vacate this wreck. As sad as it is i have no choice but to believe that most people just want something for nothing. They want without giving first. Its about the saddest trait a man can harbour i believe. If most knew how hard any archer, spear or atl atl hunter worked for any outcome, results or not, they would be rendered completely speechless. I rifle hunt as well. I eat meat too. Yet i see the vast majority every fall in rifle season in a complete fit attempting to fill thier pockets full of tags. At the end when they didnt get thier truck box photo of thier giant for submission to BB Mag, they start wondering where all the age class went. So who killed a good one that year. Guys look directly at the local archers. No clue what level of investment was involved,,, no clue that they had big deer in the field with them that they simply were not finding, but mad as heck non the less. Sad stuff.
The point of the thread is where should guys look to spill thier high priorities. I took a bunch of heat on top of page 3 for saying it and i will say again. There are good ones out there to be found in virtually all units. Talking about big deer doesnt kill em. Enjoy

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Banned

^^^^
As a person who claims to be intimate with these deer, this guy has zero clue.

There are zones in Alberta that are absolutely infested with mule deer. No this isn't fantasy, its reality. All age classes too.
The issue in these areas isn't the lack of deer, the lack of access, or the lack of trophy quality, it is the lack of resident hunters. By design.

I used to like bowhunting mule bucks in these WMU's however it is on draw now. Landowner and outfitter tags are disproportionately high here. No surprise.

There is a movement in Alberta to commercialize hunting. It is slowly happening and disguised as conservation. It is rooted out of well organized associations like APOS and ABA, who members and directors feel they can benefit off of a crown resource like wildlife. Sacrificing what we have come to know as a resident pastime as we take for granted that it will be passed onto future generations. This is at risk.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer hunter View Post
^^^^
as a person who claims to be intimate with these deer, this guy has zero clue.

There are zones in alberta that are absolutely infested with mule deer. No this isn't fantasy, its reality. All age classes too.
The issue in these areas isn't the lack of deer, the lack of access, or the lack of trophy quality, it is the lack of resident hunters. By design.

I used to like bowhunting mule bucks in these wmu's however it is on draw now. Landowner and outfitter tags are disproportionately high here. No surprise.

There is a movement in alberta to commercialize hunting. It is slowly happening and disguised as conservation. It is rooted out of well organized associations like apos and aba, who members and directors feel they can benefit off of a crown resource like wildlife. Sacrificing what we have come to know as a resident pastime as we take for granted that it will be passed onto future generations. This is at risk.
^^^Blah Blah Blah....how does the ABA "commercialize" hunting under the guise of conservation?....do tell.

Lc
Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Banned

Its not worth arguing over this.
Apologies if I come off strong.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 04-19-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
You're pretty consistent with your short jabs and throughout, it is simply blank stare material. You hate outfitters and landowners and both of thier respective value creating programs we all as residents LIGHTLY endure. The vast majority find value in these programs and its universally clearly understood that there can afford to be some slight massaging in afew places with regard to them both. Some of what your touting as fact is simply ridiculous. Between you and me someone needs to kick you clean off your stump Deerhunter. Be nice to watch the mods turn thier heads for a spell and let things run thier course. You might find yourself on the recieving end of one heck of a lickin by the very folk you seem to think you represent. Your right about one thing, its prob not worth arguing over. Appologies if this came off as strong. Have a great day

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 04-19-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Not looking for an arguement but looking for clarification on your assertation.

LC
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
You're pretty consistent with your short jabs and throughout, it is simply blank stare material. You hate outfitters and landowners and both of thier respective value creating programs we all as residents LIGHTLY endure. The vast majority find value in these programs and its universally clearly understood that there can afford to be some slight massaging in afew places with regard to them both. Some of what your touting as fact is simply ridiculous. Between you and me someone needs to kick you clean off your stump Deerhunter. Be nice to watch the mods turn thier heads for a spell and let things run thier course. You might find yourself on the recieving end of one heck of a lickin by the very folk you seem to think you represent. Appologies if this came off as strong. Have a great day

Its the regulations that bother me, not the outfitters or landowners. The regulations that continually put residents at a disadvantage wrt opportunity while moving forward the commercialization of the sport.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Its the regulations that bother me, not the outfitters or landowners. The regulations that continually put residents at a disadvantage wrt opportunity while moving forward the commercialization of the sport.
Deerhunter between your hated ABA and archers, APOS and outfitters and our landowners, none are responsible for overharvest of our muledeer. Nearly all included in these small segmented resource user groups are vehement conservationists and proponents both for and toward responsible resource utilization. Nearly all in these groups and the people within that you so love to hate on so much, both financially, and through selective harvest of extremely small factions of the resource, EFFECTIVELY and PURPOSELY are promoting a strong resource for tomorrow. Know who the enemy is kind Sir

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Banned

Here is a dated AGMAG report on mule deer that some might find interesting.
pg 16
Quote:
Mule Deer Management Issues

Provincially mule deer are doing very
well
. Some localized areas are well
below goal due to recent winter die
offs.

Significant issues with allocation
between user groups ( i.e rifle vs
archery, resident vs non non-resident)

Disease (CWD) a concern along
eastern area of Alberta
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Status of mule deer in Alberta_May 2013_AGMAG iii.pdf (445.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Here is a dated AGMAG report on mule deer that some might find interesting.
pg 16

All that "science", process and policy.... and now F&W quietly states that their data is statistically invalid. lol.....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
All that "science", process and policy.... and now F&W quietly states that their data is statistically invalid. lol.....
After this data was used, essentially unchallenged, to put these wmus on a mule buck archery draw...
As a resident hunter I'm not loling...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
After this data was used, essentially unchallenged, to put these wmus on a mule buck archery draw...
As a resident hunter I'm not loling...
Your right, nobody should be laughing.

Except perhaps the ABA execs, they got half of what they wanted.
With a separate archery draw they will get the other half, getting rid of the part time archery hunters.

BTW, ABA executive is now back on the Spear/Atlatl ban wagon....
Ban them.
No, we support them,
NO! We changed our position again. Ban them!
Saying anything to divert attention from their true intentions.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Land owners and bow hunters do get biggest muleys year after year.
Still not what thread is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Land owners and bow hunters do get biggest muleys year after year.
Still not what thread is about.

220 208
136??
Big deer. According to guys that have shot big ones. There.
And Airdrie where Potty shoots em.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
220 208
136??
Big deer. According to guys that have shot big ones. There.
And Airdrie where Potty shoots em.

Are you insane? Any location/unit spilling on any level on public forum, let alone name dropping should have mods on you like flies on a gut wagon. You should be outright banned for your posts here and this one takes the cake. Unreal.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Are you insane? Any location/unit spilling on any level on public forum, let alone name dropping should have mods on you like flies on a gut wagon. You should be outright banned for your posts here and this one takes the cake. Unreal.

Thread asks where big muleys are.
I answered where. Anybody can build up points and go for it.
Calgary bow zone, really? You need 20 yrs of farm help to even get an acre to hunt on.
It was a joke but clearly Wes you are not getting this thread. You sound like an american yakkin politics on CNN.
Get back to the thread meat stick.