Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 PM

Default Fly rod with coat hanger

The snareing river in jasper,because of the rock flour is very merky.A senior italian showed me how to catch the white fish.Bend a section of 6 in wire coat hanger in a V attach it to your cast leader,about 18 in up a royal coachman on a dropper.Method-cast upstream and let it belly down,when the coachman comes out of the murk,you got yourself a white fish--attached the hanger section with lighter cast so if it snags,you can break off and put another.This was how I caught an extremely large bull trout,and many white fish.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 AM

Lots of old school fisherman used to use pieces of speedometer cable instead of coat hanger. Bouncier and much less snagable.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Humm... what weight fly rod are we talking about here that will roll cast a coat hanger? Do you remove the coat first? How much floatant do you need on the coat hanger for a proper drag free drift?

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Default coat hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Humm... what weight fly rod are we talking about here that will roll cast a coat hanger? Do you remove the coat first? How much floatant do you need on the coat hanger for a proper drag free drift?
neccessity is the mother of invention--Lots of fish on the bank when nothing else seems to work---You edmonton boys ever win any popularty contest hehehehahahah
Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM

floating line

tippet or 10' fluorocarbon

Fly Rod 5/6

just have a indicator on

set as needed

as too the bottom lake/river

I like Royals

coachman/humpy/wulff rivers

keep your line ready for the lift of rod

enjoy your fish

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12# IGFA line class WR RMWF.jpg (42.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM

The advantage of carrying around wire coat hangers is that you could always jimmy into somebody's truck while the're fishing downstream
Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM

"Fly fishing" with the Zebco and Ugly stick. Got to get those fish in freezer
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 PM

You can do it with a flyrod and it's as close to fly fishing as those dropper rigs and the set ups with weights and bobbers etc. That type of rigging is much better suited to bait casters etc. but lots do it and consider those rigs fly fishing too.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
neccessity is the mother of invention--Lots of fish on the bank when nothing else seems to work---You edmonton boys ever win any popularty contest hehehehahahah
Not from Edmonton.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Not from Edmonton.
Mr. Coyoteman don't reed or writ to well, otherwize he wood have seen Calgary on yer location, but hez always good fur a laff!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
The snareing river in jasper,because of the rock flour is very merky.A senior italian showed me how to catch the white fish.Bend a section of 6 in wire coat hanger in a V attach it to your cast leader,about 18 in up a royal coachman on a dropper.Method-cast upstream and let it belly down,when the coachman comes out of the murk,you got yourself a white fish--attached the hanger section with lighter cast so if it snags,you can break off and put another.This was how I caught an extremely large bull trout,and many white fish.
My thanx for the memories. My Dad and I used speedometer cables or clothes line wire. A 9’ rod, a open faced spinning reel and 6 lb. test. We usually placed a elastic band between the “weight” and the mono. Practiced the technique on the Sheep and Highwood. Feed the family.

Don
Old 07-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Mr. Coyoteman don't reed or writ to well, otherwize he wood have seen Calgary on yer location, but hez always good fur a laff!
snaeky want tobees will do almsot anytihing-----
Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Thats crazy - i was told that same tip in the jasper fly shop around 15ish years ago. Besides that i have never heard of it again, or someone who caught something using it. Seems like a decent idea.