Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Thread asks where big muleys are.
I answered where. Anybody can build up points and go for it.
Calgary bow zone, really? You need 20 yrs of farm help to even get an acre to hunt on.
It was a joke but clearly Wes you are not getting this thread. You sound like an american yakkin politics on CNN.
Get back to the thread meat stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dime a dozen.
Lovin the pm. When do i expect to see ya lol. Bring more than bad jokes...
you are right about one thing, i most definitely am NOT getting the point of this entire thread
And with that, i am over and out hahaha!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM

This is a necrothread where we got epically trolled by a returning bannee, read between the lines boys and don't fall any further for the mess.

LC
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

This is a good thread
We have some resident hunters.
An outfitter.
And an ABA exec.
It's good to see everyone's point of view and their modus operandi when it comes to dealing with the other groups.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is a necrothread where we got epically trolled by a returning bannee, read between the lines boys and don't fall any further for the mess.

LC
From false truths laden with alterior motive, to now names dropped with hunting locations etc, it sure has been a wild one. Sure hope ya dont mean me when you say that Lefty?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
From false truths laden with alterior motive, to now names dropped with hunting locations etc, it sure has been a wild one. Sure hope ya dont mean me when you say that Lefty?
No sir not talking about you....the one who drug this up from the past has a stark name resemblance to another who was banned in this thread.

LC
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
This is a good thread
We have some resident hunters.
An outfitter.
And an ABA exec.
It's good to see everyone's point of view and their modus operandi when it comes to dealing with the other groups.
Don't forget the guy who tosses out accusation without explaination.

LC
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Banned

As an ABA exec you should be answering questions, not asking pointed ones. Or maybe providing some information...
Not really unexpected though.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
As an ABA exec you should be answering questions, not asking pointed ones. Or maybe providing some information...
Not really unexpected though.
There was never a specific question posed towards me, therefore I cannot answer one. Not unexpected when asked for clarification you ignore that question. I guess you are in a position to tell me what I should and should not be doing somehow?

You came out guns blazing....I asked a question, if I know where you are coming from I might be able to assist you, or find someone who can.

What info are you looking for? What was your question? Were you at the AGM to have your concerns addressed?

Do you rescind your comment? Or can you provide info on why it was made?

"There is a movement in alberta to commercialize hunting. It is slowly happening and disguised as conservation. It is rooted out of well organized associations like apos and aba, who members and directors feel they can benefit off of a crown resource like wildlife."

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Here is the ABA archery proposal attached.

They are still trying to isolate the draws where you have to choose to be an archer or a rifle hunter, and cannot do both in the same year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ABA Proposal March 2016i.pdf (260.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM

So sad to see another thread go to this basically after page 1.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
So sad to see another thread go to this basically after page 1.
X2
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Default High Priority MD

Hey Everyone!

Digging up and old thread here, couple of days till draws are due and I cannot make up my mind….

I’m sitting on a 10 year MD priority, figure it’s time to draw. We recently moved from the Peace Region…. After the hard die off years ago, I sat on my tag waiting for the big ones to return…. Now I have since sold the farm and moved south of Calgary.

I have a few ideas of zones to look for a nice MD, in my younger days I worked the SE portion of the province, but those days were long ago and foggy memories of monster bucks running around are faint..hahah!
My vision is to find an area that has lots of easy land access (leased), rolling hills, river valley etc…. I want to walk miles and get away, spot and stalk, take my time. If the weather is good maybe tent it as I go… the Peace Area doesn’t have the big bucks like it once did (they doooo exist tho!!!), and it’s about 800km too far north… and I hunted it so much it’s time to learn my new backyard...

I’m a seasoned hunter, I do my homework, but deadline is coming soon!! How have the last few winters been down here on the bucks? Any zones that are traditionally good I should avoid? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Default High Priority Issue

First off, (humble brag) I've been fortunate enough to wear out the boot rubber years back when you could kill a MD on a general tag with a bow and lucked out on 2- 200"+ typical deer and 1 narly old NT MD with stick and string in Southern AB.....then that all changed.....DRAW ONLY.

I have been sitting on a high priority for years and its just getting harder and harder to draw a tag, what has happened in the zone that I have watched deer grow from 120" to 185-190" start to get old even die of old age. The saddest part is all the bad genetic deer are taking over because the good genetics are getting old. With having to wait 7-9 years for a tag like said before no one will shoot a 150" 3x3 or 4x3. Then they shortly they become the "king" of the coulee and what do you know full circle. More crap genetic bucks breeding and more crap genetic deer born.

Please correct me if I am wrong but that's what I have witnessed over the last 10+ years where the MD used to be big and hunters dreams even bigger.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts27 View Post
First off, (humble brag) I've been fortunate enough to wear out the boot rubber years back when you could kill a MD on a general tag with a bow and lucked out on 2- 200"+ typical deer and 1 narly old NT MD with stick and string in Southern AB.....then that all changed.....DRAW ONLY.

I have been sitting on a high priority for years and its just getting harder and harder to draw a tag, what has happened in the zone that I have watched deer grow from 120" to 185-190" start to get old even die of old age. The saddest part is all the bad genetic deer are taking over because the good genetics are getting old. With having to wait 7-9 years for a tag like said before no one will shoot a 150" 3x3 or 4x3. Then they shortly they become the "king" of the coulee and what do you know full circle. More crap genetic bucks breeding and more crap genetic deer born.

Please correct me if I am wrong but that's what I have witnessed over the last 10+ years where the MD used to be big and hunters dreams even bigger.
Definitely agree with your thoughts on the garbage genetics , so true.. care to share some pics of those 200" deer ?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:

You’re saying that the good genetic deer are getting old and dying of old age while also saying the crap genetic deer are taking over because hunters are only taking out the trophies. Kind of an either or situation. If hunters are wiping out the majority of the trophy genetic deer such as the 4x4 genetics, then yes it makes sense for the 4x3 and 3x3 deer to take over. This is what happened in the 4 point or better zones. But if you’re watching them die of old age, they’ve had many breeding years and their genes should be passed on just fine.

Your observations really don’t seem to make any sense.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 PM

Default MD

I seen the genetics crap the bed in the peace country, there is still some brutes there but nothing like 20 years ago.

I have to beat the wife’s deer head! She’s winning so far with. 189 on the wall, never lets me down!!

I have my mind made up on the zone, it’s new to me, so a bit of a gamble.... but I’ve talked to half a dozen good buddies and hunters.... we narrowed it down to a few zones.

I’ll post pics hopefully this fall!!!!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Good luck this fall
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 PM

Avoid the SE if you can. Sounds like they will be giving out a lot of tags.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
You’re saying that the good genetic deer are getting old and dying of old age while also saying the crap genetic deer are taking over because hunters are only taking out the trophies. Kind of an either or situation. If hunters are wiping out the majority of the trophy genetic deer such as the 4x4 genetics, then yes it makes sense for the 4x3 and 3x3 deer to take over. This is what happened in the 4 point or better zones. But if you’re watching them die of old age, they’ve had many breeding years and their genes should be passed on just fine.

The old bucks get pushed around by **** genetic younger deer. I suppose I might have confused some people.......the good genetic old deer run outta steam a week into the rut, then they get tougher up! They do get some breeding in for sure.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
The old bucks get pushed around by **** genetic younger deer. I suppose I might have confused some people.......the good genetic old deer run outta steam a week into the rut, then they get tougher up! They do get some breeding in for sure.

The big old ones can’t be everywhere at once
I’ve seen studies iirc that say a mature bucks only breed like 20-25 times a season
The other bucks breed the rest
The little bastards breed a lot more does than I ever thought
Last year I seen 2 of the little Weiner heads take turns running a doe til she was dead tired then they both took their turn. Lol I was like hmmm I think I have this “only the big bucks breed the does” theory all wrong
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
The record for alberta archery typical is 200 2/8. You arrowed 2 different deer that will break the record?

You gotta post some pics.

Mike
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
“only the big bucks breed the does” theory all wrong
From what I've seen in my time, they breed very few
Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post

my thoughts exactly. His reasoning seems flawed and he is trying to skew his observations towards a pre conceived conclusion. If the big bucks are dying of old age then they have done their duty over the 8 years of breeding. herds where the bucks don't get a chance to die of old age are at the most risk of bad genetics being passed on.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post
The record for alberta archery typical is 200 2/8. You arrowed 2 different deer that will break the record?

You gotta post some pics.

Mike
I thought the Alberta Typical record was 206 2/8.

And his deer may gross over 200. Don't think we can assume he means they net over 200. Either way, great deer all the same.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Some people also shoot big deer all the time and dont care about a record book.