Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Finally a Sturgeon.

Well after a long hard day on the river it finally paid off for us. The day started bright and early for my oldest son and I at 7:00 am on the banks. We started off at the pump house down at Red Cliff. Fished until 10:30 with just 2 suckers landed,, pretty slow.. With little to show we decided to make a move. We headed home,, grabbed a couple sandwiches and some sausage for the fire and headed off to Sandy Point. I will add that Jesse's wife,,,, my very recent new daughter in law of about 3 weeks joined us for the day as well. Got out to Sandy about 1:00 PM and got at er. It was a pretty slow day with only about a dozen small burbs landed and a couple small sturg,, until about 7:00 pm when Joanna hooked on to a decent sturg. After about a 10 min battle she had a nice sturg landed. I would estimate it at about 12#.. She handled it like a pro,, with no coaching from Jesse and I ,,,, yah right .....

Here are a couple pics of the day..

Jesse with 1 of 2 of his big sturg..

The young lady in battle,, with the hubby keeping an eye on er..

Joe and her prize..

A beautiful evening by the river.. It just felt good to get out and enjoy some decent weather for a change..

Last edited by Walleyes; 05-10-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Very nice sturg !!! how many inches was that , ? 50 mabey?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 PM

dang thats a decent sturg. iv fished the crap outa that river, iv caught alot of fish, but iv never caught a sturg

contgrats on the good day out
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 AM

Congrats on the Sturgeon ! I just got back from Fishing the Fraser and the ones we caught were not any bigger than yours.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 AM

Good job man! Seems the sturg are biting in the afternoon and early evening for the most part. Hoping to get out again tomorrow. Lotsa em being caught these first few days of the season in and around town. Yet to see a Goldeye this year, should be soon.
Cheers n GL!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 AM

Way to go bud, looks like there are a few in there. If I dont have to work all weekend may have to hit the river somewhere. Were you using worms or minnows? Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like you had another good day.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Way to go bud, looks like there are a few in there. If I dont have to work all weekend may have to hit the river somewhere. Were you using worms or minnows? Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like you had another good day.
We've been using both and both are working. Minnows a little more so though.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM

nice going!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
sheephunter

Looks like a great day....congrats!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

you guys are brave to bare-hand them little ones. those plates are razor sharp on the young ones. i have seen a few nasty gashes on fisherman who didnt know better. for those who have never caught a sturgeon, look close at the pic. there are rows of very sharp plates along the sides and back of the fish. my advice is bring a glove (those knobby fish grabbing gloves work good) for handling them. it can be done bare-handed as in the pic....but BE CAREFUL! they do seem to dull down as the fish grows so bigger ones are not as likely to hurt you.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Nice!! Good to see some different sizes... healthy
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM

heres a goldeye out of the ssr in the hat , i caught 1 each time i went out so 2 this year,

and yah minnows are the way to go !! every thing is hammering them !!
worms are working for suckers but havent caught anything else on the worm
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Thx guys..

Just to answer a couple questions.. The fish was 46" long. As far as bait goes this set up had one of each a salted minnow and a earth worm on it so hard to tell which one brought it in.. Looking to head out again some time this week.. If it stays dry there are a couple holes I want to get into.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Fine looking sturgeon. Joanna sure resembles Randy, without the multi broken noses!!!! Congratulate Jessie & Joanna on their marriage from the wife & myself, please. Hope to catch you up here this summer.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Congrats Walleye nice looking fish...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Thx guys..

Just to answer a couple questions.. The fish was 46" long. As far as bait goes this set up had one of each a salted minnow and a earth worm on it so hard to tell which one brought it in.. Looking to head out again some time this week.. If it stays dry there are a couple holes I want to get into.
X2 on gettin out to some fav holes. Looks like the weather is gonna be kind this week. Hopefully the water clears a bit. Fishn has been tuff round here for me n the boyz this week...plenty o fish, but tricky to get them to see/smell/hear the bait.
Cheers n GL!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Anyone try this?

When chasing sturgeon on the Fraser, we spray WD-40 on all terminal tackle and bait. The oil slick gives them more scent to follow to the bait. It works!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post

Yah here it comes.
I used to use WD40 too til someone told me its illegal to use in the water.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post

Yah here it comes.
I used to use WD40 too til someone told me its illegal to use in the water.
Well .... Bring it on...

The WD is something shown to me by sturgeon guides on the Fraser. Unfortunately, I have yet to fish for sturgeon here in Alberta, hope to fix that this year.

Who was this someone you mention, F&W? Is it in the regs. that the use of WD or a similar product as a scent is illegal where bait is allowed? I would like to know.

Regardless, the tip is still valid. Use a legal scent attractant with your sturgeon set-up. They follow scent to find their food.

Damn, Now I want some popcorn
Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM

there are a thread or two floating around on the subject. I havent caught one either but am going to change that soon. Walleyes you will have to take your DIL to the coast this year, thats the only way shes going to top that sturgeon
. What an awesome fish.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Congrads Walleyes! and ditto!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay. After 3 solid attempts at the riv over the past 3 days and not much to show, finally hooked into me first sturg of the season and boy was she a gooder. 47" long, never, but shoulda, checked girth. 2" under me personal best but she was a fatty. For sure bigger than me 49"er. Wish I had a pic to show. Never even took one. Was a fun fight...bout 20 min...love it when they know the shore is near and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the line runs away with the fish. Slowly but surely, tired her out and brought her in on the ol Ugly. Only bite of my day. Caught her with minnow, on 10# line, bout 15-20ft deep.
Walleyes, let's go fishn?
WD40....dunno might work but takes the fun outta wrangling I reckon. It's called fishing, not catching....remember?
Cheers n GL all!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay. After 3 solid attempts at the riv over the past 3 days and not much to show, finally hooked into me first sturg of the season and boy was she a gooder. 47" long, never, but shoulda, checked girth. 2" under me personal best but she was a fatty. For sure bigger than me 49"er. Wish I had a pic to show. Never even took one. Was a fun fight...bout 20 min...love it when they know the shore is near and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the line runs away with the fish. Slowly but surely, tired her out and brought her in on the ol Ugly. Only bite of my day. Caught her with minnow, on 10# line, bout 15-20ft deep.
Walleyes, let's go fishn?
WD40....dunno might work but takes the fun outta wrangling I reckon. It's called fishing, not catching....remember?
Cheers n GL all!

Congrats on the sturg FishFinder, got to remember that camera man thats what those fish are all about.. Yah we should look at getting out together one day here soon..