Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Finally doing it!!

So after a few decades of talking about it next summer me and my brother want to take the old man on a fishing trip for the memory books!!

SO 3 guys, looking for a secluded (preferably fly in) place in northern AB, northern SK, or NWT. Monster pike are at the top of the list but good eating walleye, perch or lake trout would be a bonus as well.

Looking for suggestions on a guide/outfit to go with. Like I said somewhere off the grid with decent cabins, friendly staff would be great.

Also we tend to get tipsy when we get together so alchol is a must, not necesarily out on the water but at the lodging for sure!!

Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Andrew Lake Lodge fits all those categories. Long summer nights fishin into the wee A:M with a cold one is nothing to complain about with lakers and large pike.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Terry what about getting ahold of a guide on Tobin lake or even Defenbaker . Talk to Chris or even Dave theyll know of someone at them lakes , both throphy fisheries .
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Terry what about getting ahold of a guide on Tobin lake or even Defenbaker . Talk to Chris or even Dave theyll know of someone at them lakes , both throphy fisheries .
We've been to both. No need for a guide there just hook up the boat and drive out there!!

My dad is geting up there in age and we've always wanted to go together to someplace remote, and he just loves to fly so that part of it would be huge for him.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
We've been to both. No need for a guide there just hook up the boat and drive out there!!

My dad is geting up there in age and we've always wanted to go together to someplace remote, and he just loves to fly so that part of it would be huge for him.
Wad about Great slave in NWT .
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Great Bear lake for Lakers, Grayling and if you have some extra money do a fly in from there to fish Artic Char and Grayling in the Tree River or do a side trip and fish Inconnu or Pike in rivers.. Once in a life time trip chance at a 40 lbs plus Laker or a 4 lb plus Grayling or a 15 lb Artic Char/Inconnu

Bucket List

Food for Thought
David
Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Finally Doing IT

Hey Mooseknuckle
Try googling Vermilion Lake Outfitters.They are in northern Sask and you have to fly in to their camp.They are on five different lakes and are the only outfitters there.Lots of 25-30 pound pike,walleye,perch,lake trout and whites.
Very reasonable rates.
I met one of the owners and his wife last winter on the plane to Cancun.They are very down to earth people and also enjoy having a drink of happy pop.
His name is Peter Donovan,
pdonovan@wasecaenergy.com located in Lloydminster Alberta.
I am thinking of going there next spring with my grandaughter(10 years old)her father and uncle.
If you should decide to go there let me know the dates and perhaps we could arrange to be there at the same time.
I think a person has to drive to Buffalo Narrows and meet the float plane for the flight in to the lake.
Keep in touch,we all love to fish.
P.S.I also know your buddy,Geezle
Cheers
Rainbow
Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Wad about Great slave in NWT .
Seriously looking into trout rock lodge in NWT looks pretty nice. But still exploring all our options.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Loutit Lake in North Eastern Alberta. Support local business! Check out Mikisew sportfishing out of ST. Johns Mcmurray.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM

We flew into Lake Athabasca and went with an outfit called Lakers. A fellow I work with grew up with the lodge owner and said he was a straight shooter and would treat us right. We had a blast, two to a boat and we caught several Lake trout over 27 lbs! Shore lunch only as they do not allow any to be taken out. Comfy cabins, BYOB, If you look them up be sure to negotiate the price. Everyone seemed to have paid a diffent one, we came in nearly at the bottom, but some guys from the States paid more than 400.00 more than we did for the same time. 40 HP boats, fished from 8 AM to 6 PM and never got tired or bored. We went in early Sept, this is the best time for large Lakers, but big pike are better earlier in the year. There are some monster pike taken every year, many near the 30 lb mark!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM

I know Dore lake lodge has always been 100%, for us. They have small cabins with fire pits, docking, and not bad rates. Good for walleye off there dock in the evenings. They are based out of Big River Sk.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM

I used to hear great things about Kasba Lake Lodge (NWT). Not sure if walleye is on the list there though.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Smile

I took my dad out for one last fishing trip to the west coast. He talked about it until the day he died. It was the best money I have ever spent.

So if you want a trip that the old man won't forget then take him to the west coast for some salmon. There are many lodges that you can fly into. Once he gets hooked into a couple of 40 to 100 lb halibut, or a 30 lb plus spring life just won't get any better than that.

There are a few of the AO sponsors that are charter opperators.

http://www.serengetifishingcharters.com/

http://www.greatpacificsalmonlodge.com/

http://www.tofinofishing.com/

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited by Kingfisher; 04-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM

Default Lakers Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
We flew into Lake Athabasca and went with an outfit called Lakers. A fellow I work with grew up with the lodge owner and said he was a straight shooter and would treat us right. We had a blast, two to a boat and we caught several Lake trout over 27 lbs! Shore lunch only as they do not allow any to be taken out. Comfy cabins, BYOB, If you look them up be sure to negotiate the price. Everyone seemed to have paid a diffent one, we came in nearly at the bottom, but some guys from the States paid more than 400.00 more than we did for the same time. 40 HP boats, fished from 8 AM to 6 PM and never got tired or bored. We went in early Sept, this is the best time for large Lakers, but big pike are better earlier in the year. There are some monster pike taken every year, many near the 30 lb mark!
I agree we were up at Lakers in sept 2010 and the fishing was spectacular easily boated 75 lakers the first day and then 30-45 each of the next 2 days. The biggest in our group was 28 lbs my biggest was 26lbs. As mentioned above Sept is the best time for the big lakers whereas the end of june early july is prime time for the big pike. You would no be dissapointed with the fishing there.