Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Default How to sell fur?

Hello Trappers!

Nubes thread about fur prices looking optimistic, got me thinking. I'm heading into my first trapping season, and just wondering how do I go about selling my furs?

NAFA seems popular, and I know I Halfords is a depot, and I can take them to the ATA in Westlock, but do I need to buy any memberships, register with anyone, set up an account?

Also, is one auction better than the other?

I searched " how to sell fur" but the search won't recognize 3 letter words.
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Banned

I took my first fur in last winter so I understand how you feel. Being a first timer I decided to go to the ATA in Westlock because I thought that dealing directly with them would be a better experience. The process for me was simple and painless. I told the staff at the ATA that I didn't have a clue so they guided me through what had to be done.

When you go there they will open an account with NAFA for you and a short time later NAFA will email you your account number. Then you go to the NAFA site and open an online account. Shortly before whatever auction that you put your fur in for, your pelts and their grades will show in your account. After the auction you can see what they sold for.

I joined NAFA and got a membership with the ATA as a start but at the Trappers Rendezvous I also joined The Wild Fur Shippers Council.

http://www.nafa.ca/wild-fur/shippers-council

I would suggest going to the ATA in Westlock the first time, they were very helpful to me. It's good to meet them and put faces to names anyway. Chatting with experienced Trappers like AJ Callbeck, who works there, or Jackie Wurtz who happened to be turning in fur the same time as me is nice too. I got some good tips on my fur handling from both of them.

I'd be willing to head up there with you to turn in my fur at the same time if you'd like.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I took my first fur in last winter so I understand how you feel. Being a first timer I decided to go to the ATA in Westlock because I thought that dealing directly with them would be a better experience. The process for me was simple and painless. I told the staff at the ATA that I didn't have a clue so they guided me through what had to be done.

When you go there they will open an account with NAFA for you and a short time later NAFA will email you your account number. Then you go to the NAFA site and open an online account. Shortly before whatever auction that you put your fur in for, your pelts and their grades will show in your account. After the auction you can see what they sold for.

I joined NAFA and got a membership with the ATA as a start but at the Trappers Rendezvous I also joined The Wild Fur Shippers Council.

http://www.nafa.ca/wild-fur/shippers-council

I would suggest going to the ATA in Westlock the first time, they were very helpful to me. It's good to meet them and put faces to names anyway. Chatting with experienced Trappers like AJ Callbeck, who works there, or Jackie Wurtz who happened to be turning in fur the same time as me is nice too. I got some good tips on my fur handling from both of them.

I'd be willing to head up there with you to turn in my fur at the same time if you'd like.
your an all round good guy Dave wish there was more people like you
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
your an all round good guy Dave wish there was more people like you
x2 on that
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Hey Dave, that might be a plan. Westlocks a little out of the way, but I'm always looking for an excuse to get a Ramsay burger!

I set up an account with NAFA today, got my password, so I think I'm good to go.