Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I always thought that it was invented because the 7x57 doesnt quite fit in a short action. My uncle has a 7x57 and its awesome, I would probably go with a 7mm08 though since to me it seems like 7x57 amo is getting harder to find while 7-08 is getting easyer to find. But since I dont own either of them I'll "shut my fat yap". To the OP, its a great round regardless of what the number junkies say. Anyone who wants to argue balistics tables against dead animals is a particularly special brand of foolish.
I guess I could have rephrased that a bit. If I didn't already have a few 7 x 57's I might probably own a 7.08 for the same reason I have the 57's. A friend has one in Model 7 Custom Manlicher....I'd own that at the drop of a hat.

Balistics don't lie, but you're right, dead animals don't either. A wise man might use one to help him achieve the other.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Have you taken any game with one?
He shot one at the Lundbreck range once. Over a chronograph.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Love it!

I bought a Stevens and I love it. Killed 2 mule does this year with it. One was at 225 yards and the other was at 315 yards. Both bullets were complete passthru's. Not sure why since ballistically they probably don't have enough energy.

I didn't have a plie of time to play with loads so I am still at the minimum powder charge. Even there I am tapping 2850 fps out of the short little stevens barrel. With 1/2 inch groups I may not work the load up either. Not sure I'd want to mess with success. I only have 6" of drop at 300 yards so its not falling off the face of the earth.

So Whitetail Junkie....
What were the chronied speeds?
Factory or reloads?
What is acceptable to you to "approve" a cartridge and why?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So Whitetail Junkie....
Factory or reloads?

Well Whitetail Junkie it looks like this just hit the floor.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 AM

7-08's are crap....that's why I keep buying them. I still think the 260's better though.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 AM

I also have one and like it fine. With a limbsaver it has very little recoil. We did some non-scientific testing at elk camp this year and firing into a large log at 10 yards or so it penetrated within two inches of my buddies 300 win mag... I'm not sure what bullet he was using but mine were 140gr partitions, fusions and TSX. I was very impressed with the performancde of these bullets. I'll have to post some pics
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
7-08's are crap....that's why I keep buying them. I still think the 260's better though.
Speaking of 260's, I once had a nice '96 that was built bby Butch Saunderson and engraved by his wife. He reset the barrel and chambered it in 6.5X55AI, speed lock, Timney, the works.
Thing shot light a laser as well, at 300 meters offhand it would really make the gong dance at Spruce Grove, even raised the eyebrows on crustuy old John Linville!
Anyway, one day up here I was shooting it at 200 off the bench, messing with some new bullets, and next to me there was a fella with a new model seven in stainless and 260 Remington, telling me how much better the Remington was than the old actions, the 260 was better, blah, blah.

After I showed him the 6.5AI, he decided maybe he would get his gun re-chambered - UNTIL he tried to get the cartridge into the magazine!!!
He was a bit perturbed when he realized that short actioned rifles are not THAT much shorter!!

I like all four of those cartridges ( 260Rem, 6.5X55, 7/08, 7X57) and can live with any of them, and always have at least one of them in the gun room!
Cat
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well Whitetail Junkie it looks like this just hit the floor.

Love that pic Dick.
I honestly wasn't looking for a fight. Just scratching my head is all.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Time to sit back and watch this one....

Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Damn! I thought I burned all of the negatives.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I bought a Stevens and I love it. Killed 2 mule does this year with it. One was at 225 yards and the other was at 315 yards. Both bullets were complete passthru's. Not sure why since ballistically they probably don't have enough energy.

I didn't have a plie of time to play with loads so I am still at the minimum powder charge. Even there I am tapping 2850 fps out of the short little stevens barrel. With 1/2 inch groups I may not work the load up either. Not sure I'd want to mess with success. I only have 6" of drop at 300 yards so its not falling off the face of the earth.

So Whitetail Junkie....
Factory or reloads?
That's awesome performance, may I ask what is your load?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:45 PM

I have shot approximately 20 deer with my Browning Micro 7-08. IMHO it is an awesome caliber, especially if you reload. I have achieved phenomenal groups on paper, using IMR 4350 with 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertips. Having said that I prefer 140 grain Accubonds for all around hunting. I don't own a chrony, so cannot comment on velocity, although it wouldn't be great out of the Micro's 20 inch barrel. Added bonus is that reloaders can also use 308 brass by passing it through a full length resizing die. The 7-08 simply does things it isn't supposed to, and I would not hesitate to take on elk or moose with it.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
That's awesome performance, may I ask what is your load?
I'm using 120 grain TSX's. IMR 4350 powder and CCI LR primers. I have set the bullets 70 thou off of the lands.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Have you taken any game with one?
No dick,I have'nt shot an animal with that cartridge.i'm sure that its more than enough to kill a deer with.The one I shot did'nt have much recoil,that I did'nt mind,plus like I said its a neat,also unique cartridge,but I like abit better velocity out of a 150 grain bullet.I'll stick with my 270 wby mag,150 grain nosler.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
No dick,I have'nt shot an animal with that cartridge.i'm sure that its more than enough to kill a deer with.The one I shot did'nt have much recoil,that I did'nt mind,plus like I said its a neat,also unique cartridge,but I like abit better velocity out of a 150 grain bullet.I'll stick with my 270 wby mag,150 grain nosler.
You sound "or read" as a very highly educated, well read and knowledgeable person, particularly when it comes to ballistics etc. Your grammar and punctuation has me bewildered. I'm totally impressed and will endeavour to watch any future posts of yours in the hopes to further educate myself as I'm sure others will do equally. Pay no never mind to Dick nor Cowntown. You da man!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You sound "or read" as a very highly educated, well read and knowledgeable person, particularly when it comes to ballistics etc. Your grammar and punctuation has me bewildered. I'm totally impressed and will endeavour to watch any future posts of yours in the hopes to further educate myself as I'm sure others will do equally. Pay no never mind to Dick nor Cowntown. You da man!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't miss the edit deadline, but I still want to say Merry Christmas to you and the bro ...no hard feelings

Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 PM

gitrdun
when did you and duceman get that picture taken, you both should smile a little more
Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
gitrdun
when did you and duceman get that picture taken, you both should smile a little more
momma just got outta jail ok. we was slightly peeved
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
momma just got outta jail ok. we was slightly peeved
Hey Do you know when the high river fish and game horn measurung day is? I noticed that you are from there and i've been trying to find out the date of that event.What you do for work in high river? Cargill?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Do you know when the high river fish and game horn measurung day is? I noticed that you are from there and i've been trying to find out the date of that event.What you do for work in high river? Cargill?
Cargill?.....I once fired Cargill, definetely not. But when and if I do find out about the measuring day, I'll drop you a line. Cheers, and a very Merry Christmas......
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Cargill?.....I once fired Cargill, definetely not. But when and if I do find out about the measuring day, I'll drop you a line. Cheers, and a very Merry Christmas......
Thanks merry X-Mas!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:

So Whitetail Junkie....
Factory or reloads?
They guy had reloads that were going in the 2900's like your rifle.dad was shooting his 270 wby,built by ralph martini,useing the same size of bullet as buddy with his 7mm-08 and the wby was rockin @ 3400'.I think the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge,but It's just not for me,thats just my opinion?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanx cowtownguy, Merry Christmas.