Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2022, 09:09 AM

Default 2022 Sheep hunting plans

As I come to the end of my sheep hunting career (turned 60 this spring) I am pondering a final attempt at this painful but rewarding endeavor. I have been fortunate to harvest 2 full curl rams (from 2 different areas) so far and have a new area in mind I would like to try. My biggest single problem is finding a partner that can commit to the whole process of the hunt.
I have 5 horses of which 4 are mountain experienced but am tired of doing all the pre-trip exercising and preparation. I have contemplated doing a solo hunt but really enjoy the company and security that comes with another hunter in camp. I do know a few good guys but they just can't provide the support to the trip I require.
What are your plans for sheep hunting this year (timing, mode of transportation and length.....not area)? How did you come by a suitable partner?
Old 06-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
As I come to the end of my sheep hunting career (turned 60 this spring) I am pondering a final attempt at this painful but rewarding endeavor. I have been fortunate to harvest 2 full curl rams (from 2 different areas) so far and have a new area in mind I would like to try. My biggest single problem is finding a partner that can commit to the whole process of the hunt.
I have 5 horses of which 4 are mountain experienced but am tired of doing all the pre-trip exercising and preparation. I have contemplated doing a solo hunt but really enjoy the company and security that comes with another hunter in camp. I do know a few good guys but they just can't provide the support to the trip I require.
What are your plans for sheep hunting this year (timing, mode of transportation and length.....not area)? How did you come by a suitable partner?
Jim L no longer hunts with you?

In any event, good luck with whatever plans you develop on this last hunt...
Old 06-22-2022, 09:37 AM

Jim L no longer hunts with you?

Jim wasn't sure if he wanted to sheep hunt this year. We still hang out and are great friends. Had him up to our fishing camp twice in the last year as well.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:18 PM

Goodluck on the search and plans for the last hunt would love to go on a sheep hunt sometime soon and give it a try
Old 06-22-2022, 01:58 PM

I am going on a 10 day trip, hopefully for my first ram. Been out a lot over the years, but just one thing or another it's never worked out.

It's tough finding a good partner, I am going with a cousin (we are more like siblings) who doesn't hunt, but loves to hike and camp. Even then it's tough getting our days off to work out together.

Usually I am solo because of that.

No horses, just all foot.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:31 PM

Alpineguy: Wishing you luck in finding a suitable partner and a ram. If I had more flexibility in my schedule this fall I would jump at the opportunity of hunting with an experienced guy like you. My sheep hunts have always been backpacking and would be amazing to use horses.

BTW: at age 60 don’t you have about 10 years left in you for sheep hunting?
Old 06-25-2022, 06:48 PM

Good luck this season and much respect, to be at it pushing 60 is something to admire. Those who have never done it will have a hard time understanding how incredible that is.

As to how to come by a suitable partner, well that's it's own animal. It will sound pretty cliche but finding a good one is about as hard as finding a ram in season. Potential partners seem to come easy if they think they are gonna anchor one on the first try. Not so much otherwise.

Last edited by OL_JR; 06-25-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:54 AM

I think it is possibly easier to find a good wife than a good sheep hunting partner lol
Its hard, as i am in a similar boat as you(not age)
I have all the gear and horses. But lots of guys want to come, though most have zero horse skills, no gear. And I have always struggled with wanting to spend a week in a tent with some of them.
Good luck at the search!
Old 06-26-2022, 12:53 PM

I would love to go sheep hunting with an experienced guy around calgary. If one of you guys wants to show a sheep rookie the way message me maybe we can work something out.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:23 PM

My plans have changed this year due to work
Now going out for the opener
Of course that means my sheep hunting partner can’t go.
My wife is going to come now.
Got to get shoes on my horses this week so my daughter and I can go out for a scouting mission this coming weekend
Old 07-18-2022, 07:40 AM

I have trouble finding hunting partners with the same commitment, morals and ethics. I only hunt with my kids as I have taught them my ways and now they have the same thought process as I do.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:34 AM

We have a few good guys that do a sheep camp every year. Sometimes it is hard to get everyone there at the same time, or enough guys to set up or tear down.
I hunt with my horses, but not all of our group have them. Finding that perfect partner is tough, so I just try and go with whoever and whenever I can. Still have great trips and memories every year, and often meet new people and try new areas.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:19 PM

At this point in my life it looks like I'll be a solo hunter until my son is old enough to come with.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:47 AM

Default Sheep

Quote:
I am 60 years young as well. Want one more ram. Not sure if it will be this year though ,as not much prep has gone in . Good luck to you sir! Enjoy.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:19 AM

Quote:
About what time were you thinking to go...I am located in Red Deer and would love to go for sheep with someone that knows what they are doing. I was thinking end of Sept. Beginning of October.