Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Polarized Glasses, best brand or glasses under $100 bucks go!

Looking for new visors just don't want to spend a million bucks.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:51 PM

For fishing? Berkley cheepo $20 glasses.
Try them out, side-by-side with the top guns, without looking at the brand names, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, they scratch more easily, and might break more easily, but for reducing reflection and looking 'into' the water, without going to Maui Jims/Smith/Oakley money - they're great. Buy 5 pairs for $100.00
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 PM

In my opinion you get what you pay for as far as optical quality. Get the best quality you can afford and wear a lanyard!! Some local retailers will also have new old stock the top brands on discount and/or often you can get discontinued models online for a pretty big discount, as well. You just have to know what style works best for your face size and shape.

-Confucius
Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Suncloud. A good selection at MEC that are around $50
Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Banned

Costco is also an option, good deals on glass lenses. Bought plastics once an never again.
Berkley is cheap and after having them on for an hour or two you get fish bowl view and disoriented.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM

The best one, is the one that fits.
Cost certainly, is a factor, but, buy the ones, that fit the best.
Also, by a name brand, they usually carry a warrantee.
Good luck
Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 PM

My Costas are unreal but Guidewear make some pretty nice specs. I think they are blowing them out at wholesale right now?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM

Im buying myself some Costas lol
Old 12-01-2015, 07:01 AM

Go online direct to Ray ban etc.Ray ban often offers last year models up 90% off
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

Smith polarchromic ignitor lense, rose tint. Only pair of shades I need all day. Not cheap, treat yourself.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:59 AM

I wear Smiths with the ignitor sense too - fantastic glasses. But for cheep polarized fishing glasses, I'm sticking with my Berkleys recommendation. I always have a pair around to lend to kids or others when fishing, or to wear on the water when I'm sailing or tubing and just want to cut the glare.
I've already got a pair of prescription Action Optics (now owned by Smiths) at the bottom of the lake from a sailing mishap !!

My perfect fishing glasses would be a pair of prescription top-of-the-line Smiths, with the magnifying lens along the bottom for tying on flies.

I've found a light magnification lens also good for driving - allowing me to switch from watching the road, to reading my instrument panel, instantly.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirt View Post
Smith polarchromic ignitor lense, rose tint. Only pair of shades I need all day. Not cheap, treat yourself.
Buy once cry once.

I was using the Maui Jims and liked them a lot. Picked up a pair of Smith Chromapop and am sold. They are not as nice to look at in the mirror but they light up a stream while protecting your eyes. I still wear the Mauis for driving and everyday use but seldom for fishing.

The Smiths fit my head perfect and I can not shake them off. There is no reason to remove them when you hit a shaded area as the detail really does pop. You can see perfect be it overcast or bright. They are also designed to protect the sides and bottom better than the Maui Jims reducing glare off the water and cheeks.

I know a lot of people prefer the glass lens but weight is a major factor for me. Both the Maui Jims and the Smiths I have weigh nothing compared to the glass lens glasses I have used.

I too was afraid I was going to lose or scratch more expensive glasses. It is incredible how much better one looks after more expensive stuff. I always know where my glasses are, store them in a case and wear a lanyard when over water. Knocking on wood, I have yet to lose or damage a good set of glasses. I use to go through several pairs of the junky ones every year or so.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
My perfect fishing glasses would be a pair of prescription top-of-the-line Smiths, with the magnifying lens along the bottom for tying on flies.
My Maui Jims have the reading magnifying feature and I do miss it by times when wearing the Smiths. I don't miss tripping all the time however as there is a learning curve to wearing the readers that I never did quite master when hiking. I love them for driving and being able to see the gauges etc. at a quick glance.

I am so use to carrying reading glasses in my pocket now I don't leave home without them. The first couple of years I was in denial about my eye sight so the Mauis were perfect.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM

I would recommend throwing some additional money at this (more than $100) considering how important polarizing lenses are when it comes to fishing! Maui Jims are excellent glasses but I will buy REVO any day of the week. I have had and still have 7 pairs and they are far superior (in my humble opinion) than most glass out there. Especially if you intend to fish salt water.

FFG

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry
Old 12-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirt View Post
I needed prescription polarized...and I have a huge noodle. So, I ended-up going with Smith (Action Optics at the time). Our dollar, then, was worse than it is now...but I've had them for years and baby the things. In fact, my prescription has changed about 4 times since I got them, but can't swing the $ for another pair until my hand is forced on the subject. lol

As for sizing~they offered (at the time) to send me a bunch of frames to try-on, just asked for my credit card number in case I never returned them. lol That was invaluable, as only 1 pair really fit perfectly. Great company.

They're the shades in my Avatar pic.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM

I'm on a fixed income, so cost is a priority for me.
When I go to California every winter I stock up on 2-3 pairs of polarized, no-name fit-over sunglasses because I wear glasses all the time. They cost about $30 USD. I do a lot of stream fishing in the summer and have never had a problem.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:11 PM

I picked up some Bollé' golf lenses at Costco a few years ago, on sale for well less than a Benjamin. While I really like them, I am unfortunately not able to use them much these days due to shifting, middle-aged vision. They are not quite on par with my $200'ish Maui Jims, but beat the crap outta any drug store glasses.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Head to mec. $50-60 gets you a great pair of polarized lenses. Running the same pair for 5 years and they've been to nz and back. Polarized lenses don't matter if you don't know how and what to look for when spotting fish!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:13 PM

smith / action optic or MJ's ... get glass and not plastic --- smith/action optics replaced mine after 4 years when the synthetic lense holder broke .. no ? asked
Old 12-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Cheap $24 fit overs. From Walmart / Shoppers

Works here, salmon fishing in the chuck...hucking flies for tarpon...to softly laying a gotcha on a sand flats for bones.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Suncloud. A good selection at MEC that are around $50
this is what I wear, I like them

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Not sure if you collect Air Miles, Aeroplan, or another points system but you can often redeem for high quality glasses through points. I've done it a few times to get Maui Jims, Smith, Bolle, all polarized. I would look at the models available and then try them on at a local sunglasses place to ensure you like them. At worst you can redeem for gift cards and use those to cut the cost.

SS
Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Rudy Projects are great glasses, and they usually have some really good package deals on older or discontinued models.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Im another one for Smith's, check Sierra Trading Post for deals. Usually have some good options on clearance for cheap!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Have Oakleys and Maui Jims.
Good glasses.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM

I was actually looking at the Smith Chroma pops I know there $140 dollars more than what this thread listed. But Being a snowboarder all my life I have owned a couple pairs of Smith goggles, they do know their optics. There also nice looking something I can wear all the time. I might be leaning towards the whole idea the more money you spend the better quality shades. We will see.