Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Default Lost Drift boat

Hi Guys well its a pretty sad day, ended up sinking my buddies drift boat right at policemen's flats today. Anyone with any ideas on how to get it would be greatly appreciated, we watched it float quite a ways down but figure it has stopped and .5 -1 km below policeman's... Please be on the look out for a blue with orange strip Hyde aluminum drift boat.

please call 403 462 5674 if you see anything

Thanks

Jared
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Drift boat is found but they need help or the means to get it out so anybody with the ability to help or the means give that number a call they have a reward offered to get it out but carma would be good enough I think but that's up to you.help a fellow fly fisher who's haveing a terrible day.also it's about mid River and in one to two feet of water.i do not these guys just trying to be helpful cause they got lot on there plate.

Last edited by vital shok; 07-19-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM

If they don't have two long inflatable tubes, one gets attached to each gunnel, to raise it with then bail it out, then a portable warn gas winch with lots of rope will also do the trick. I am in Edmonton so can't really help but if they can lay their hands on that for equipment it is pretty easy to recover the boat.

Sorry for their troubles but I have to say I wouldn't be too happy with that Drift Boat maker. A well made one of those should still float even full of water right up to the gunnels. Not a very safe design and my bet is it wouldn't pass CSA certification. Wouldn't catch me using one built like that.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM

Well we went out and had help from a forum member on ffc, really apprectiate his time. Unfortunately we weren't able to do much with what we had so going back out tomorrow with another jet.. Its in a tough spot. Hoping someone knows a company or someone that would be willing to come out and get this out. Willing to pay.

Thanks

Jared.

Got my old cell working so please call or text 403-462-5758
Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Sorry for their troubles but I have to say I wouldn't be too happy with that Drift Boat maker. A well made one of those should still float even full of water right up to the gunnels. Not a very safe design and my bet is it wouldn't pass CSA certification. Wouldn't catch me using one built like that.
95% of drifters manufactured rely on displacement not buoyancy. Just like s tin car topper. I have a drifter made of carbon and foam, even with it filled to the gunnels it won't go down, but that's rare.

Wish the op all the best getting this done, be safe.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
95% of drifters manufactured rely on displacement not buoyancy. Just like s tin car topper. I have a drifter made of carbon and foam, even with it filled to the gunnels it won't go down, but that's rare.

Good to know. When I am looking for a drift boat I will definitely be checking to make sure it has positive buoyancy. Even my car toppers and canoes have all been ones that would float full of water and with their full passenger/cargo load. Those that outright sink are way to dangerous for my liking and I swim real well. For those that have young children or don't swim well they would be even worse.

I too hope the OP gets their boat back okay. If they do, I hope they put some spray in foam under the seats, add some to compartments etc so it is safer next time.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:

That might be true of old tech. but I'd bet every new boat sold floats, by law.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 PM

Wow... That's crazy. Glad you guys got it out. I was just on the river a few hours ago in my blue fishcat.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 AM

Really glad you got it back. All the best getting her re-worked and the bruises removed.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 AM

I would like to thank everyone that came to help and supported us with this situation. Truly a great group of people out there, glad everything went safely and it was amazing how it came out! Big thanks to flanny he's always there for me no matter what and even swam the river to get over there last night lol crazy bugger. Learned to never let your guard down and the river always demands respect!

I'm now looking to replace one carbon fibre oar so if anyone knows a one off or is doing an order into Hyde please let me know.

I think we also now hold the record for largest streamer on the swing no doubt about it, browns should be worried.

Be safe out there guys and tight lines

Jared
Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Glad that everything worked out and so much gear was saved- still in the boat!

And the water was warm enough. Haha

Flanny
Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
That might be true of old tech. but I'd bet every new boat sold floats, by law.
where do they put the buoyancy when the hull at the thickest is only 3/4" and is only single walled...... magic?
I'll take that bet.

OP I'm glad you guys saved it, I swamped my drifter once and it was manageable, but terrifying, I can't imagine having to leave it there for a few days. Good nobody got hurt... except for egos, lol

Last edited by Jayhad; 07-21-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
where do they put the buoyancy when the hull at the thickest is only 3/4" and is only single walled...... magic?
I'll take that bet.

OP I'm glad you guys saved it, I swamped my drifter once and it was manageable, but terrifying, I can't imagine having to leave it there for a few days. Good nobody got hurt... except for egos, lol
In all the single wall boats and canoes I had it was under the seats, under the false floor in a couple, and built into the bow and stern with covers on them.

Easy add on from Australia for those that don't have built in bouyancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59pcx932B5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBrD...eature=related

Last edited by Dean2; 07-21-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM

I have had a couple of people ask for the location of the regs re floatation in small vessels. Here is one section there is a few more that also apply.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...on4-1346.htm#4

This is the whole document but it is not very user friendly. Best to download it to PDF and go through it that way.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...2-menu-521.htm

Last edited by Dean2; 07-21-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 PM

Drift boats are exempt from CCG flotation rules,Normally drift boats are in white water so if it flips or fills with water its recommended that you swim away from the boat so you don't get pinned.I guess your better off if the boat sinks out of your way.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 PM

Don't know where you found the exemption but even if they are I would never use a boat that didn't meet the buoyancy requirements. White water or not, there is NO UPSIDE to a boat that outright sinks. That is just stupidity run amok.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Drift boats are exempt from CCG flotation rules,Normally drift boats are in white water so if it flips or fills with water its recommended that you swim away from the boat so you don't get pinned.I guess your better off if the boat sinks out of your way.
Thanks Mike,

arguing with guys that have no clue what they are talking about was getting too painful for me to respond.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM

I have done a few floats now on my boat. I'm new to this so if the OP could let me know what went down I would appreciate it. Maybe I can learn something from it so I don't do the same.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Mike,

arguing with guys that have no clue what they are talking about was getting too painful for me to respond.
LOL....I've only ever heard tell of one boat that was "unsinkable" and 1500 people went to the bottom of the North Atlantic with her.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike,

I checked and you two are in fact not correct. Drift boat makers can apply for an exemption in the U.S. That exemption is not automatic there and in any event is not valid in Canada. Canadian made or imported drift boats, at least since 2010 for sure, are not exempt from the monohull vessel buoyancy rules, just like canoes are not exempt (also used in white water).
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM

So are these American boats then deemed "illegal" for use in Canada? Haven't seen a lot of inspectors down on the Bow this summer
Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
So are these American boats then deemed "illegal" for use in Canada? Haven't seen a lot of inspectors down on the Bow this summer
I posted the link to the entire set of friggin regulations. Download them and take the time to educate yourself. It spells out what may be legally imported to Canada and the grand fathering rules for boats built prior to the last set of regulations coming into force.

Whether you get caught on inspection is only a very minor thing to worry about. Think about loosing everything you own if someone dies in your illegally imported boat.

P.S. General Rant - It is bad enough there is so much mis-information posted on AO and the Web generally but I also can't believe how much spoon feeding people expect, even when all they have to do is READ what has already been posted.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Each drift boat manufacture applies for a grant of exemption with the USCG.You have to explain why and they will grant it if they agree.

A drift boat full of water is at least 1500 lbs, say in class 4 water going 15 kmh ,I don't think I'd hang on to it or want to get in front of it.

The Bow river is for the most part quite tame,but there is a spot or two that can wreck your day.

Now Hyde and Clacka take advantage of this because it allows for so much dry storage now.Take a drift boat and fill all the compartments with foam you now have an undesirable boat that wont sell.

Other options are wood or foam cored boats that will float with out added buoyancy.

In this case the boat was aluminum,it went down like a rock.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Whether you get caught on inspection is only a very minor thing to worry about. Think about loosing everything you own if someone dies in your illegally imported boat.
Better call 911 Hyde, Clackacraft, RO, Stealthcraft and every other drift boat manufacturer are Canadian public enemy #1. Specifically in January when these dirty criminals bring trailer loads of boats up for the Fly Fishing Show..... I wonder how they smuggle these dangerous contraband products into our country with them simply loaded onto a trailer with no camouflage.

This is ridiculous,

Last edited by Jayhad; 07-23-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM

You guys in the fishing section can figure out a way to argue about just about anything......
Old 07-23-2015, 04:57 PM

Yeah, another train wreck, i mean boat wreck.