Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 PM

Default So far these are the bonefish and tarpon flies I have finished for Cuba 2014!

Now I just hope enough work!

I still have time to tie some more!

Tarpon flies

Bonefish flies
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Smile They are beautiful!

I love your flys and photography. Will they cast in a bit of wind?

Do you have anything that looks like a small crab or shrimp?

Have fun.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Have fun.
The whole second box is shrimp.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The whole second box is shrimp.
Correct
All are gotchas in the second box.

Mimic ghost shrimp and other shrimps shrimp. I did well on white but also brown. They can also be tied in greens and pinks...even orange.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Have fun.
I use an 8 weight. They cast fine in the wind...however the tarpon flies are more challenging. Any serious wind and does not matter how big the fly is for me. Then I just try to get sideways or upwind to cast.

In the tropics...not many days without trade winds.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I use an 8 weight. They cast fine in the wind...however the tarpon flies are more challenging. Any serious wind and does not matter how big the fly is for me. Then I just try to get sideways or upwind to cast.

In the tropics...not many days without trade winds.
You don't "lower" yourself to Gummy Minnows for Tarpon Sundance? I do and they sure work well. I use a 10 or 11 for the big "flies".
Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
You don't "lower" yourself to Gummy Minnows for Tarpon Sundance? I do and they sure work well. I use a 10 or 11 for the big "flies".
I tied a couple. May tie some more. They may work there. Don't know anyone who used em in South Cuba. Are you a convert?

I think I have some material left.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Gummy Minnows

I bought these from Fish tales this year. Buy the biggest you can find. They work great but I did get a couple straightened out. They are not a purists fly by any stretch but they work much better than anything else I have tried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060415(1).JPG (163.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Gummy minnows worked for the bonefish in Honduras...but we needed ones much smaller that what we had. If possible, grab a few in size 6 or even 8 for the delicate presentations in the shallows.

Jason
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM

In picked these up from Costco online of all places....some imitate needle fish and I caught quite a few cohos in the open oven on the fly rod.

I bet some of these would work?

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I bought these from Fish tales this year. Buy the biggest you can find. They work great but I did get a couple straightened out. They are not a purists fly by any stretch but they work much better than anything else I have tried.
Most fly tying material is synthetic these days. Not much difference.

I have a few tied. I will tie some more.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
In picked these up from Costco online of all places....some imitate needle fish and I caught quite a few cohos in the open oven on the fly rod.

I bet some of these would work?

LC
I tied a few similar for cohos. I have yet to hit some at the surface. Only caught two so far on my flyrod. 80% of the rest mooching. Balance jigging.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I tied a few similar for cohos. I have yet to hit some at the surface. Only caught two so far on my flyrod. 80% of the rest mooching. Balance jigging.
I fished straight out the prop wash about 40 feet behind the boat and was slamming the cohos that way.....flash of silver then my line would scream...was a real blast! Yellow/chartreuse and white worked best.

We even tried to put an anchovies and drop the fly line to 50-60 feet to try for a chinook but no luck with that.

LC
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I fished straight out the prop wash about 40 feet behind the boat and was slamming the cohos that way.....flash of silver then my line would scream...was a real blast! Yellow/chartreuse and white worked best.

We even tried to put an anchovies and drop the fly line to 50-60 feet to try for a chinook but no luck with that.

LC
Bucktailing is a blast. Unfortunately I am fishing just a tad too late in the season. This year is supposed to be screaming full of coho...so maybe I will get lucky.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Most fly tying material is synthetic these days. Not much difference.

I have a few tied. I will tie some more.
I would think the gummy minnows would work very well for anything up here too. Jack fish, all trout- Bullies I will try this year, walleye.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I would think the gummy minnows would work very well for anything up here too. Jack fish, all trout- Bullies I will try this year, walleye.
Maybe. Not as much movement to them as with other materials.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 PM

the Tarpon in the Dominican definately liked the Lighter Shrimp Patterns. i also caught some on egg sucking leetches! lol
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
the Tarpon in the Dominican definately liked the Lighter Shrimp Patterns. i also caught some on egg sucking leetches! lol
Here are my recent tarpon tying experiments. Testing shortly

Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM

They all look great Sun.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 PM

Wow they look awesome
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403mike View Post
Wow they look awesome
thanks for the vote of confidence!

I tied them on Owners hooks...size 2. I think the smaller hooks bite in better.

Now I figure tie 10 more and I am done...with tarpon flies.

I want to tie up a few large jack flies as well as some more bonefish flies.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Will the flies with the barbell eyes ride upside down?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Will the flies with the barbell eyes ride upside down?
Good question. These larger dumbbell eyes are recessed so they are in line with the hook shaft.

I guess the tarpon will let me know if it matters. I will have some tied without dumbbells...just epoxy eyes.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Good Luck! What do you run for a Leader? I forgot shock tippet last time, and had them snapping 15lb flouro...lol. their Gill plates are so sharp i noticed every fish that i did get in, the line was trashed! Tarpon are awesome fish! got to go get some big boys!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Good Luck! What do you run for a Leader? I forgot shock tippet last time, and had them snapping 15lb flouro...lol. their Gill plates are so sharp i noticed every fish that i did get in, the line was trashed! Tarpon are awesome fish! got to go get some big boys!
30 and 60 lb depending where I am fishing and how big they are.